X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A.M.
    • Nov 2008

Classe CA2200 vs. CA5100 vs. CA5200

Hi All,

First off, I'm a long time "lurker" first time poster to this forum and would like to thoroughly thank those who post valuable reviews/impressions and advise. It definately helps "us" less informed consumers.

I recently purchased a B&W speaker system and am considering between the three indicated amps (CA2200, CA5100, CA5200).

My speaker system comprises of:

2 804s
    1 HTM4s
    2 M-1's
    1 Velodyne SPL10

My current receiver is a very old (AVR7000) Harman Kardon (100*5). The listening area is approximately 10*10 (but I also want to have enough power in the event that I move in the near future to a bigger room).

The purpose of this system will be 50% music and 50% movies. The reason I am asking for opinions/advise between a 2 channel amp vs. 5 channel amp is:

a. based on my budget if the mains (804s) will sound better with 200 watts vs. 100 watts I would prefer go this route.

b. if 100 watts will suffice just as well (assuming moderate listening levels) then I could probably go with the CA5100.

c. Are there any differences between the 2 channel versions of the amps and the 5 channel versions (for multi-channel and/or stereo)?

I've read the thread on the science of a watt, and do understand what it states. However, I have been told on numerous occasions that it is better to over power a speaker than under power it. Also, I've heard that speakers sound better at lower volumes when they have more power behind them. Is there any truth to these statements?

I would appreciate any and all feedback. This will prepare me with additional information when I do eventually audition the respective systems. This way I won't be going in completely clueless.

Thanks.
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Hallo A.M.,

we have much over the CA5200-5100-2200 write in read....in this forum...

I have a CA5200 with the 803D...

I dont not how much is your room, dedicate room??, acoustic?,...

But if you buy a ca5100 in a little time you will have more!!!

go direct woth the ca5200. or the ca3200&ca2200 but is more expensive and with a years work 1 ampli can have another sound vs. the other....
    (ex. CA3200 for center, L&R + CA2200 "only" for the rear) the ca2200 connected at the rear will no work so much/hard like the ca3200 L/C/R....
    = difference usage, the sound will be different....
    This is a extrem, over paper this difference is more evident but for your ears is not as obvious to hear the difference ..

you can too buy the CA3200 for the L/C/R and a CA2100 for the rear...
    but with a CA5200 you have a much more balanced system.

I hope this help.

Style

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by A.M.
      I recently purchased a B&W speaker system and am considering between the three indicated amps (CA2200, CA5100, CA5200).
      My speaker system comprises of:
      2 804s,1 HTM4s, 2 M-1's , 1 Velodyne SPL10
      a. based on my budget if the mains (804s) will sound better with 200 watts vs. 100 watts I would prefer go this route.
      b. if 100 watts will suffice just as well (assuming moderate listening levels) then I could probably go with the CA5100.
      c. Are there any differences between the 2 channel versions of the amps and the 5 channel versions (for multi-channel and/or stereo)?

I've read the thread on the science of a watt, and do understand what it states. However, I have been told on numerous occasions that it is better to over power a speaker than under power it. Also, I've heard that speakers sound better at lower volumes when they have more power behind them. Is there any truth to these statements? Thanks.
      Save your money and buy yourself a CA-5100 especially with 804s and a room of 10x10:T

Or look at Emotiva XP1:T

Classé design for the stereo and multichannel are very similar
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
        Save your money and buy yourself a CA-5100 especially with 804s and a room of 10x10:T

Or look at Emotiva XP1:T

Classé design for the stereo and multichannel are very similar
        Have you personally listened to any of the Emotiva amps? I've read some of the forums discussing these amps, but I wonder if anyone has actually had the opportunity of comparing them to higher end amps like Classe?

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
          Have you personally listened to any of the Emotiva amps? I've read some of the forums discussing these amps, but I wonder if anyone has actually had the opportunity of comparing them to higher end amps like Classe?
          When the new monoblocks Emotiva XPA-1 (500W @ 8Ω, 1000W @ 4Ω) comes out I am going to buy them since they have a 30 days money back warranty and will let you know what I think. Each Emotiva XPA-1 amps cost $1000 a piece rather than $5500 for Classé CA-M400 so if they sound good I know which route I am going
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

When the new monoblocks Emotiva XPA-1 (500W @ 8Ω, 1000W @ 4Ω) comes out I am going to buy them since they have a 30 days money back warranty and will let you know what I think. Each Emotiva XPA-1 amps cost $1000 a piece rather than $5500 for Classé CA-M400 so if they sound good I know which route I am going
            $1,000 for a 500 watt mono amp (their site says RMS) that doubles down would seem to be a terrific bargain. I will be very interested in learning of your impressions.

But, I thought you said one only needed 100 watts per channel (LOL)? I'm glad you're starting to see the light! :T

Comment

• Classe4me
              • Dec 2007

Given the market and depending on whether you want new or used, with the info you have given with your speakers, size of room, etc., I would recommend the CA-5100. It's a very stout amp that will not disappoint you. I have a 22 x 22 room and started with the CA-5100 and did upgrade to the CA-5200 because I am running Wilson Audio Sophia 2s that are 4 ohm speakers rather than your B & Ws which are 8 ohm speakers. They pull as much power as 4 ohm speakers do and I think that the synergy between the B & W and the Classe amp will be a match made in heaven. If you get upgradeitis which is inevitable, then upgrade later down the road and let the depreciation powers from above benefit you. I hate what the market has done but there are some big bargains to be had on very gently used equipment. Seize the moment and grab a bargain!

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

But, I thought you said one only needed 100 watts per channel (LOL)? I'm glad you're starting to see the light! :T
                When did I say that I currently have 200W per channel with the CA-5200. I think you are thinking of Sikiniko who said 50W should be plenty.

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

@ A.M.,

With the CA5100 you can sure will be happy.

In the future with an upgrade of speakers (803D/htm2D..) the CA5100 can no longer be enough for you .. --> and you go say " because I have not bought the 5200".....

Buy what you want now you will save money in the future ....
                  or go with the CA5100 and in the future you can buy a extra CA3200/2200 for the mains&center or only mains...

Emotiva is sure a performance/price but you dont can compare a Classe power ampli with a Emotiva power ampli....
                  Who recommend you to buy a Emotiva at home have a Classè dont a Emotiva... make ask is possibly if you go now buy th Emotiva and than
                  you go with the Emoiva at his home and make a change: you give the Emotiva and you go have a Classé. No bad or?

Style

Comment

• msm
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by style
                    In the future with an upgrade of speakers (803D/htm2D..) the CA5100 can no longer be enough for you .. --> and you go say " because I have not bought the 5200".....
                    I said the same thing which is why I am now running the 5200 but for your current set-up, the 5100 is fine.

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Emotiva is sure a performance/price but you dont can compare a Classe power ampli with a Emotiva power ampli....
                      Who recommend you to buy a Emotiva at home have a Classè dont a Emotiva... make ask is possibly if you go now buy th Emotiva and than
                      you go with the Emoiva at his home and make a change: you give the Emotiva and you go have a Classé. No bad or? Style
                      Yes I have Classé but I will buy the Emotiva XP1 when they come out and will compare them to Classé CA-M400 and then I will let you know what I think :B

If you have not compared products yourself don't make an uninformed opinion. It is not because Classé looks so cool that they are the only game in town :E

Now having said that I am very happy with Classé amps :rofl:
                      Last edited by wettou; 10 November 2008, 14:47 Monday.

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

Yes I have Classé but I will buy the Emotiva XP1 when they come out and will compare them to Classé CA-M400 and then I will let you know what I think :B

If you have not compared products yourself don't make an uninformed opinion. It is not because Classé looks so cool that they are the only game in town :E

Now having said that I am very happy with Classé amps :rofl:
                        I agree that you can't make any determination without comparing the two products. I think your findings regarding the Emotiva amps will be very interesting.

I would not expect the Emotiva to sound nearly as good as an amp from an established company like Classe, but if it does, then why look a gift horse in the mouth?

The only thing that may weigh heavily on your comparison however, is that your brain will be telling you that the one amp is one-fifth the cost. This may override what your ears are actually sensing?

Comment

• style
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2006

The only thing that may weigh heavily on your comparison however, is that your brain will be telling you that the one amp is one-fifth the cost. This may override what your ears are actually sensing?
                          I agree. :T

Beden,
                          when talking with a person who believes that you know everything is very difficult to discuss...
                          I go write to you MP...
                          Omar

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

I was just thinking that the other problem I would personally have with having an Emotiva amp in my rack, is knowing that I have an Emotiva amp in my rack. Much of this hobby is esoteric, and as such, I want to know that my equipment is at least universally accepted as quality goods. It's kind of the same thing with cars ... a Hyundai can go 60 MPH just like my 12 cylinder twin turbo Mercedes can, but, I'd rather travel in my Mercedes.

It's not a snobbery thing with me, it's just the personal satisfaction in appreciating quality workmanship.

Comment

• style
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006

I have swacht, nice, color change with the sun-light, quartz very precise...
                              (made in japan or china...)

And I have a A.Lange&Söhne, manual, handmade...C.O.S.C. certified...
                              in a month can go forward as may remain behind ...
                              but it is wonderful to have the wrist

Beden, you have understand :W :W

Omar

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

I have swacht, nice, color change with the sun-light, quartz very precise...(made in japan or china...) And I have a A.Lange&Söhne, manual, handmade...C.O.S.C. certified...in a month can go forward as may remain behind ... but it is wonderful to have the wrist Omar
                                So you have enough money to spend it on useless stuff god for you. :gah:

Comment

• beden1
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2006

So you have enough money to spend it on useless stuff god for you. :gah:
                                  Not so useless if you invest in the right pieces. The market (selling) price on my Patek Philippe has more than doubled as of September 2008 since I bought it new in 2001.

I had to have it shipped from Harrods in London as there were none to be found in the US at the time. The watch took about a year to manufacture.

It's kind of cool to have my name hand written in their owner's registry, and along side Kings, Queens, Presidents, business magnates, and etc.

I have it in my will stipulating that it can't be sold, and will be handed down from generation to generation.

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Not so useless if you invest in the right pieces. The market (selling) price on my Patek Philippe has more than doubled as of September 2008 since I bought it new in 2001. I had to have it shipped from Harrods in London as there were none to be found in the US at the time. The watch took about a year to manufacture. It's kind of cool to have my name hand written in their owner's registry, and along side Kings, Queens, Presidents, business magnates, and etc. I have it in my will stipulating that it can't be sold, and will be handed down from generation to generation.
                                    Cool, I am happy for you, I am not that attached to material stuff just enjoying it for what it is stuff :lol:

I would rather eat well, travel the world and experience a good life rather tan collecting stuff.

Comment

• Classe4me
                                      • Dec 2007

I was going to bring Big Ben back with me in my new Airbus A-380 while over in GB while purchasing Buckingham palace, but after stopping to see the Sultan of Brunei and buying his fleet of Rolls Royces, Bell Jet Rangers, and a few Sikorskis and such, I just didn't have any more room for it. Besides, while looking down at the time on my Clock that I wear around my neck that I borrowed from Flav-O-Flav I knew I just didn't have the time.

I just thought you all would want to know. Now I am off to go listen to my normal, average, run of the mill Classe components that I enjoy.

I just thought I'd mention that since this is Club Classe and a forum about A/V and home theater.

Hopefully I can get a few DVDs in before I head to NASA in the morning to catch the Space Shuttle to the Space Station for brunch.

Ciao baby, I am off....in more ways than one!

Comment

• beden1
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Classe4me
                                        I was going to bring Big Ben back with me in my new Airbus A-380 while over in GB while purchasing Buckingham palace, but after stopping to see the Sultan of Brunei and buying his fleet of Rolls Royces, Bell Jet Rangers, and a few Sikorskis and such, I just didn't have any more room for it. Besides, while looking down at the time on my Clock that I wear around my neck that I borrowed from Flav-O-Flav I knew I just didn't have the time.

I just thought you all would want to know. Now I am off to go listen to my normal, average, run of the mill Classe components that I enjoy.

I just thought I'd mention that since this is Club Classe and a forum about A/V and home theater.

Hopefully I can get a few DVDs in before I head to NASA in the morning to catch the Space Shuttle to the Space Station for brunch.

Ciao baby, I am off....in more ways than one!
                                        I'm sorry, but we did get onto an unrelated topic. I guess the forum is just limited to Classe discussions, and none others that may share common interests.

Comment

• Classe4me
                                          • Dec 2007

I'm sorry, but we did get onto an unrelated topic. I guess the forum is just limited to Classe discussions, and none others that may share common interests.
                                          beden, I am not an authority or anybody for that matter on this forum and take no liberty or rights to tell people what they can or can't talk about. There are obviously people on this forum from all walks of life and nobody knows who has what. I will speak for myself, but I don't really think that it's important. For the most part we are all here for the love of the hobby of audio, video, and all around home theater. There is nothing wrong with using analogies to make comparisons, but I am going to be man enough to tell you straight up that your posts came across quite boastful. I am sure you worked hard for your possessions and do enjoy them. I think it's great that you have these things and are proud of them. I truly wish for everybody to prosper. It's just when it's dangled in people's faces about your nice things and the details of how you had to go about getting them, that obviously turned people off and was a bit irritating. It's not about jealousy or envy, it's about being a bit inappropriate and off topic. If you made an analogy about comparing a Mercedes, Maybach, Bentley, or Rolls Royce to a Hyundai or a Patek Philippe, Vacheron Contantin, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Blancpain or the many other finely crafted timepieces to a Timex and someone wants to chat about their collection on private message or email all day, that is wonderful. The thing that I didn't notice was "common interest" as you stated. Nobody else seemed interested in talking about their expensive possessions.

This is America, a free country that we can talk about anything that suits us (within reason and within common ethics and morals of course), but the response that your remarks elicited are obvious how others interpreted the posts.

I hope you don't view this as a personal attack because it's not. All in all you seem like a nice guy and we've spoke by personal message a time or two. You messaged me last time asking if I had pictures of my system and I asked for your email address to send you some (which you never provided). My quality pic files I had available were too large to post here. I had posted some fairly low quality pics here in the picture section quite a while back taken with my cell phone camera before I made several changes to my system. It's nothing out of this world but it sounds good to me.

As I indicated, I don't wish to offend you in any way, it's just the fact that people were talking, thinking, and interpreting what you had to say and it wasn't in an overly popular light. It kind of hit me wrong and I threw out a satirical post that I suppose was a bit sarcastic and perhaps in poor taste. It was merely done to illustrate a point. Sometimes things fly out of my mouth that probably shouldn't and I write things that perhaps I shouldn't. It happens to us all. I just think that sometimes it's not a bad idea to reread those words and ask oneself how it will be interpreted.

No offense meant, just a point made about something that could possibly make somebody feel a bit insignificant if they drove a Yugo and wore a Timex, even though they might be worth in the tens of millions of dollars because they bought Yugos and Timex watches and invested the rest of their money.

Me personally, I live by the philosophy of living for today because there are no guarantees that there will be a tomorrow. I just don't make it a point to tell people off topic about my personal business. Not that I have a Gulfstream V in my private hangar or anything spectacular like that.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from and respect the fact that I came out and told you so you will know how others took what you had to say.

Peace to all!

Comment

• beden1
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2006

Well, another public flogging. Thank You!

My response to Wettou was directed to his answer to Omar, and to point out that some watches are not just "useless stuff", but can be worthy investments as well as works of art. That is how I appreciate my watch collecting hobby.

I guess I was wrong when I imagined that people who appreciate the quality workmanship of electronics, would also have broader interests along the same lines.

But, I will be happy to receive PM's from the many individuals who I have offended as you have claimed here, as I do not appreciate this type of public berating.

Comment

• wettou
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • May 2006

Can we get back to Classé now please :cry:

Comment

• Classe4me
                                                • Dec 2007

Well, another public flogging. Thank You!

My response to Wettou was directed to his answer to Omar, and to point out that some watches are not just "useless stuff", but can be worthy investments as well as works of art. That is how I appreciate my watch collecting hobby.

I guess I was wrong when I imagined that people who appreciate the quality workmanship of electronics, would also have broader interests along the same lines.

But, I will be happy to receive PM's from the many individuals who I have offended as you have claimed here, as I do not appreciate this type of public berating.
                                                beden, I did not intend to make this a public flogging. I did not intend to cause you embarassment or humiliation in any way. That is not the character I am. For the sake of the post, the forum, and the obvious viewpoints, I felt compelled to man up and tell you what the common consensus was. You could tell the mood by the reply from both Style and wettou before I even came on the scene.

I feel that I was coming in as somewhat of a mediator to try to help you understand how your posts were perceived. As much as you won't believe me, I said what I said for your benefit. Perhaps I should have done it in a private message but since other people were involved and saw the same thing, I figured it best at the time to bring it out in the open.

If you had just made a generalization of comparing a Mercedes to a Hyundai instead of letting everyone know that you own a Bi-turbo V12 Mercedes, most likely an S600 or possibly and S63?? Nobody here has a problem with you owning a Mercedes. You just didn't need to spell out that it's one of the most high dollar models they make.

What took the cake though was when you switched to watches and mentioned your Patek Philippe. Once again, nothing wrong with that or saying that a Patek or even a Steinway Grand will appreciate to illustrate your point, but instead you had to tell everyone that it came from Harrods because there wasn't another one in the country and how your name was engraved on it and in the same book as that of kings and queens and royalty was totally over the top.

Nobody here can be foolish enough to think that they are buying Classe because it will appreciate in value. We have all watched the value of some of the pieces go for as low as $.35 on the dollar because of the release of the SSP-800 and the economy sucking. All of us that have bought new Classe gear are going to take it in the shorts if we try to sell it. We bought it because it's gorgeous to look at, it's beautiful to listen to, it's engineered by some of the best people out there, and just because! We could have bought a Soundesign or a Kraco off of eBay if we just wanted noise but we chose to buy something special.

You bought your car, your Florida residence, your Patek Philippe because you have obviously done something very right in your life. You deserve these things if you want and enjoy them. I am literally proud for you and wish that I had second home in Florida right now to escape this dreary, gray, cold weather here in KY. You are a fortunate man to have the privilege to have at least two homes and to be able to drive a Bi-turbo V12 Benz and sport a Patek Philippe on your wrist. Nobody is here to deny you these pleasures or publicly stone you for having them.

It was just the way it was put in their faces that nobody appreciated. That's all. You probably hate me by now. I hope that's not the case, as I think you are a good guy. I just think you went a little overboard and when it came back to your attention you got defensive.

Your presence and opinions are very welcome here and this is a place where people come to look, read, and have common interests and a camaraderie and are entitled to their opinions. If you want to talk about classic timepieces then Timezone or Watchnet is full of people wanting to talk watches. If you want to talk cars then there are hundreds of forums for every make and model out there. I spend a lot of time on VWVortex.com talking about my VWs. There are Supra forums where I can get information about my 15 year old Toyota if I want to figure out how to squeeze more horsepower out of it.

I don't go on those forums and speak out that I have Classe electronics and Wilson Audio speakers because those people don't care and would think I was bragging.

I publicly apologize to you beden and extend my hand in peace. I will gladly take your email, a phone call, or anything else and apologize in any other manner you deem appropriate for offending you or berating you.

I reiterate that I think you are a good guy. We all have good and sometimes the horns comes out and we just have to say "the devil made me do it! :demon:

wettou, I agree it's time to get back to Classe but I felt I owed it to beden to explain my actions and apologize to him. I would never intentionally hurt anyone's feelings. I have a genuine love for people and everybody on this forum can vouch for this with the time and care I put into their questions and inquiries if and when I can help them. I can make friends with a rock or a tree stump.

I am sorry for my constructive criticism and should have made it much more constructive and much less critical.

beden, please accept my apology and let's all be friends and move on. And in all seriousness and all jokes aside, I will gladly talk cars and watches with you anytime as I have a bit of a love for both as well. We'll just take it off the board.

Peace to you all!

Tom
                                                Last edited by Classe4me; 13 November 2008, 10:16 Thursday.

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                                                  • Aug 2008

By the way...the S63 is natrually aspirated...not turbo and I believe that a V-12 MB may be one of the only things that depreciates faster than audio equipment.

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Tylercoupe
                                                    By the way...the S63 is natrually aspirated...not turbo and I believe that a V-12 MB may be one of the only things that depreciates faster than audio equipment.
                                                    Yes Cars are a very poor investment, of course just look at stocks :M Ok back to Classé :B

Comment

• beden1
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2006

The S600 is twin (bi) turbo and I bought it used, with the first owner taking the monster bath. But, thanks for pointing that out to me.
                                                      Last edited by beden1; 12 November 2008, 18:08 Wednesday.

Comment

• style
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Feb 2006

I thingh the UK Jaguar have a audio Dynaudio inside or?

But a car with Classe inside? Classe dont have any interes go by this way....

well, I have BMW,1400kg, V6, 275ps. :T but for audio I go in my room whti the SSP800&CA5200, sure with B&W.

Style

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2007

Good audio gear doesn't depreciate that fast unless it is a disc player (or tape deck remember those). If it has a motor, then the value drops fast, preamps and power amps not as much.

One last side note, the S65 is a bi-turbo V12 from AMG (starting at a cool $200K baby!). Also, all V12 sedans depreciate fast, not just Mercedes-Benz.

Eric

Comment

• beden1
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                                            One last side note, the S65 is a bi-turbo V12 from AMG (starting at a cool $200K baby!). Also, all V12 sedans depreciate fast, not just Mercedes-Benz.

Eric
                                                            That's why if one appreciates owning a super sedan, then buying a clean one used is the only way it makes sense to do so.

Let's face it, with this lousy economy, nothing is going to hold much value for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                                                              • Aug 2008

Have you looked at audiogon lately...processors are probably worse than some of the CD sources...record players hold up pretty well...and amps/preamps are not immune still hitting 40% of value...tops 50% in a few short years...good for bargain hunters...bad for those who pay for current technology. There are also some v-12's with Italian horses on their rear that hold up pretty well in value...although not many qualify as sedans.

I personally prefer a high reving, light sport car to an overweight high torque straightline rocket...but thats another forum...

In regards to this thread....I decided on the 3200/2200 combo with the SSP-800 and 502 as my CD source. I like being able to only power up the 2200 when listening to 2 channel music on by pass mode and I use two separate dedicated 20amp runs...one for each amp...I don't like the thought of all five channels competing for the watts... I also feel that this gives me greater flexibility in system upgrade or changes in the future. In my downstairs system I did the same...its older...with a Levinson 335 for the fronts and a Proceed HPA3 and AVP2. I use Thiels in both systems and I am very happy...the SSP800 replaced a Lexicon MC-8...big upgrade.

That configuration has continued to work for me...

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2007

Have you looked at audiogon lately...processors are probably worse than some of the CD sources...record players hold up pretty well...and amps/preamps are not immune still hitting 40% of value...tops 50% in a few short years...good for bargain hunters...bad for those who pay for current technology. There are also some v-12's with Italian horses on their rear that hold up pretty well in value...although not many qualify as sedans.
                                                                I'll agree that processors have taken a lager hit than normal lately with HDMI finally becoming available in high performance gear.

And you're right, Ferrari doesn't do sedans.

In regards to this thread....I decided on the 3200/2200 combo with the SSP-800 and 502 as my CD source. I like being able to only power up the 2200 when listening to 2 channel music on by pass mode and I use two separate dedicated 20amp runs...one for each amp...I don't like the thought of all five channels competing for the watts... I also feel that this gives me greater flexibility in system upgrade or changes in the future. In my downstairs system I did the same...its older...with a Levinson 335 for the fronts and a Proceed HPA3 and AVP2. I use Thiels in both systems and I am very happy...the SSP800 replaced a Lexicon MC-8...big upgrade.

That configuration has continued to work for me...
                                                                Did I understand correctly that you have two SSP-800s? If so, you're my hero!

As much as I like and respect Lexicon for their SS processing, I've always found their preamp sections lacking. They always sounded thin and without musicality. I can believe that the SSP-800 is a big upgrade.

What Thiel speakers do you have? I always thought Classe and Thiel was a good combo. Thiel speakers can get fatiguing with the wrong electronics.

Eric

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                                                                  • Aug 2008

I wish I had two....but no...the second system uses a Proceed AVP2...great for audio but lacking in video funtionality. I have a CVP with it which converts all video to 480P...and passes through HD material. In that system I have a 61" runco plasma for when the kids are just watching TV and and runco 1000d projector for movies with a 108" Stewart screen that drops down in front of the plasma. For the projector...all HD video sources run direct via DVI/HDMI to its stand-alone processor and the plasma get HD through component connections out of the CVP.

In the Levinson/Proceed system I use Thiel 7.2s for left/right and powerpoints for center/rear with a SW-2 for sub

In the family room I use 7.2s for left/right, powerpoint for center and higherplanes for rear...another SW-2 for sub

I also maintain a 2 channel only system which is a SME-20/IV-vi/Titan i, Naim CDS-3 w/555PS, Naim HDX w/XPS2, Audio Research Ref 2 mk2, ASR Basis Exclusive phono, Stax Omega Mk2 headphones, Proac Response 2.5s and Pass Aleph amps...That is what I listen to the most...and can truly get lost in what matters the most...the software...otherwise known as music.

Anyone interested in a high-end music server system should check out the HDX

Comment

• style
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2006

@Tylercoupe,

I have the ssp800&ca5200.

I will a dvd/cd player...but I dont have understand becouse you have decide that the 502 is the better solution?

You utilise your system for movie or movie for the most part ?

please feed back..

thanks Style

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                                                                      • Aug 2008

I went with the 502 (it replaced a Meridian G98 which went to my bedroom) because I wanted a high quality CD player which I could feed the SSP800 with in balanced analog and use the bypass mode...in addition to having the DVD functionality which I feed the SSP through coax. I would say that the Meridian may have a slightly better picture than the 502 but just slightly...the CD performance of the 502 is awesome. It was a one box solution for me as in the family room I do not have a lot of space for equipment. If I were only looking at DVD than I probably would have gone with the 300T...

My family uses this system often and having a fully integrated solution makes it easy for them to control...all sources go through the SSP-800 and into an Runco Plasma through HDMI...very simple. I also have an appleTV and Wadia idock so my wife and her friends can easily access their MP3 collections...I don't enjoy MP3 for critical listening hence the need for a CD player. I have enjoyed the appleTV for movie downloads...pretty cool

For serious music server listening I use the Naim HDX which rips everthing into WAV. files

Comment

• Classe4me
                                                                        • Dec 2007

I went with the 502 (it replaced a Meridian G98 which went to my bedroom) because I wanted a high quality CD player which I could feed the SSP800 with in balanced analog and use the bypass mode...in addition to having the DVD functionality which I feed the SSP through coax. I would say that the Meridian may have a slightly better picture than the 502 but just slightly...the CD performance of the 502 is awesome. It was a one box solution for me as in the family room I do not have a lot of space for equipment. If I were only looking at DVD than I probably would have gone with the 300T...

My family uses this system often and having a fully integrated solution makes it easy for them to control...all sources go through the SSP-800 and into an Runco Plasma through HDMI...very simple. I also have an appleTV and Wadia idock so my wife and her friends can easily access their MP3 collections...I don't enjoy MP3 for critical listening hence the need for a CD player. I have enjoyed the appleTV for movie downloads...pretty cool

For serious music server listening I use the Naim HDX which rips everthing into WAV. files
                                                                        Congratulations on your new equipment and system. It sounds like you will enjoy it for many years to come. I am curious to know which Thiels you are using? I have never taken the opportunity to listen to Thiels which is a shame because they are manufactured about an hour and half from where I reside. I have heard some very good things about them and their newest offering is quite an intriguing pair of speakers.

I am at a terrible disadvantage to do a lot of comparison listening because of being rural, and there being no large retail showrooms anywhere close to me. I have to drive to Nashville, Indy, Cinci, Columbus, or somewhere big to get to listen to multiple lines of speakers and be able to A/B them.

I think that your amp choices are clever for the reason that you stated but can't help but wonder could you just disable the channels you weren't using and have a one box solution for the amp as well and be out of pocket a lot less money there? I have the CA-5200 but not sure if I can shut off channels by possibly selecting the mode that I am NOT using such as unbalanced when I am using balanced ICs? Even if you just put the processor in 2 channel mode will it only allow power to be drawn from the 2 channels or will it still be powering up the other 3 channels even though there is no information coming from the speakers? I don't have the patience of attention span to try to read about which would be the case. I am sure somebody here knows if you can use a 5 channel amp for just 2 channel listening without being penalized.

The CDP-502 is a good choice for you based on what you enjoy. I use the same player and am ecstatic with it. You also have a wonderful pre-pro now that everybody here seems to be thrilled with. I run the SSP-600 and am very happy and truly wish I could have A/Bd it with the 800 so I could see and understand for myself the difference in sound between the two.

I know there are people here that have had both or had a 300 and went to the 800 that can answer that question but I don't know that hearing it in words could help me understand how different they sound. Since I have zero attention span I have to see, feel, touch, or hear to be able to distinguish differences. Some things I can read and relate to easy as pie and other things just don't process, especially if it gets technical or drawn out because my mind will wander.

Enjoy and let us all know how you end up liking everything.

Comment

• style
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2006
                                                                          • 1562

@Tylercoupe,
                                                                          I have the Classe and I like Classe very much.
                                                                          SSP800&CA5200. Pioneer Kuro & B&W speakers....I utilise my system at 80%
                                                                          for movie...well: go with the cdT300 for my movies (cdp300 with SSP800 make no much sense..in the ssp800 we have all vhat we needed for a dvd player)) or like you buy a superb 502 with great sound and video (like 300....)
                                                                          So design will be all from Classe and with a only "gear" we have the max.
                                                                          please your opinion?

Personaly I dont like the mp3, Ipod or so like that: I prefer buy a cd and have a piece of "plastic" in my hands... this "virtual music" make me "scary and a strange sensation"...

You have listen the cdp502? is not overpriced ?

greetings from Switzerland
                                                                          Style

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Aug 2008
                                                                            • 31

I mention which Thiels I use in a preceding post...7.2s are the L/R in both systems. I am not aware of any multichannel amp which only powers up the active channels...If using only a 2ch source that the other 3 channels won't try to draw a lot of power from the wall but they will be on. I don't have any experience with the 600 so I can't help you there. There was a 600 demo available when I bought the 800...its a well built unit and actually much heavier than the 800...but the dealer, who knows me well and whom I trust, convinced me that the 800 sounded better...again I did not confirm but I also wanted HDMI switching

Comment

• wettou
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 3389

#39
                                                                              You have listen the cdp502? is not overpriced ?
                                                                              Yes it is and byt the way you can have loosless file on your ipod rather that mp3 and if you think digital is not the way to go so check this out.

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording...ymphonies.aspx :T

Studio Master

FLAC 24bit 88.2kHz 2,403.9MB

Studio Master

WMA 24bit 88.2kHz 2,381.7MB

CD Quality

FLAC 16bit 44.1kHz 662.0MB

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Aug 2008
                                                                                • 31

#40
                                                                                BTW...when I bought my SSP800...Classe had a deal where you could also buy any disc player for 50% off...I took them up on that with the 502...

It looks like the current deal is 25% off...

Ripping CDs in lossless for ipod is definitely better than MP3 but I do not prefer the sound to that of the 502...As I mentioned...I do use the Naim HDX which rips bit for bit into WAV for my jazz, vocal and classical collection and while I prefer the Naim CDS3...I do find myself listening to the HDX a lot...you can use the Nokia N810 to wirelessly control the HDX which allows me to sit in the chair for extended periods...even if I change my mind as to what music I want to listen to.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 3389

#41
                                                                                  BTW...when I bought my SSP800...Classe had a deal where you could also buy any disc player for 50% off...I took them up on that with the 502...It looks like the current deal is 25% off...
                                                                                  If Classé had a true multichannel CD/SACD/DVD player equivalent to Oppo I might consider it as I love the design and I am a sucker for design. I have over 70 multichannel SACD that I enjoy on my 5 802 (3D &2N) and to me multichannel music is a requirement I don't do stereo any more so sorry. I would rather get the Sony SCD XA5400ES and a great blu ray player like the Sony BDP-5000ES and a Wadia 170 iTransport all that for the price of the Classé 502.

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2008
                                                                                    • 31

#42
                                                                                    To each his own...I am not in the multichannel camp for music...so sorry. I am a firm believer that more is not better in this case...just like a good two way speaker will outperform most of the multidriver models at reasonable sound levels unless you really focus of placement and room treatment. Complexity brings more issues than its worth. I have the wadia 170 and its good for what it does...allow you to feed a digital signal from an ipod and my wife and her friends find it useful to easily tap their ipods into the system...high-end sound...no...regardless of what the rags say. I am happy that the system you have works for you and you enjoy the music although I hope its more than 75 SACDs and please tell me you are kidding when you say you listen to 2 channel lossless ipod recordings in Dolby PL...I am a big fan of the 802s... but please feed them with a high quality signal. I am not one that has bought into the Oppo thing...and I cannot bring myself to buy a Sony for musical enjoyment...multiformat playback is great but I will always go for a well built audio stage and well designed power supply...you don't get that with Oppo or Sony...and I have been through many ES models over the years...Then again...I listen to most of my music on LPs...sorry I've got to go...I need to flip the record

PS...as an SSP-800 owner I will give you first hand feedback...please do not buy the 800...not only will it make you realize what you are missing...but you will be unable to continue your monotonous and predictable posts on the owner's thread about all the reasons you should not buy it. All the best
                                                                                    Last edited by Tylercoupe; 15 November 2008, 04:06 Saturday.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2005
                                                                                      • 1792

#43
                                                                                      If Classé had a true multichannel CD/SACD/DVD player equivalent to Oppo I might consider it as I love the design and I am a sucker for design. I have over 70 multichannel SACD that I enjoy on my 5 802 (3D &2N) and to me multichannel music is a requirement I don't do stereo any more so sorry. I would rather get the Sony SCD XA5400ES and a great blu ray player like the Sony BDP-5000ES and a Wadia 170 iTransport all that for the price of the Classé 502.
                                                                                      if you have the ability to play DVD A ....this is a great one for the holidays

and I agree....design needs to be there. It wouldbe great if Classe could rebage the new upcoming oppo

Comment

• style
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2006
                                                                                        • 1562

#44
                                                                                        @Tylercoupe
                                                                                        BTW...when I bought my SSP800...Classe had a deal where you could also buy any disc player for 50% off...I took them up on that with the 502...
                                                                                        It looks like the current deal is 25% off...
                                                                                        At today in Switzerland is 25% off (with a ssp800..)

Personaly I think that the SSP800 is a great preampli. Sure the Meridian serie 800 (pre and cd player) is a referenz model but however the Classe is without doubt a very good product.
                                                                                        Classe builds studies, experience, seriousness not only builds a model to earn money. also provides a great after-sales service very good and envied by other signatures/brands.
                                                                                        well the combo pre 800 and cs5200 with the player is wonderfull. I will go with a player 300, and with the ssp800 Î'm very happy.
                                                                                        ...To each his own...
                                                                                        that true... personaly I dont have the Ipod and i donthave any interes for so one "gear". dont say me nothing.
                                                                                        with a cd in a box and much too happy. I dont can understand music as "file" in a little box colored...

What at this moment is no good in the SSP800 for you? If you dont think/believe in this ne becouse you go with the 502?

Thanks Style

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                                          • 1676

#45
                                                                                          To each his own... I am not one that has bought into the Oppo thing...and I cannot bring myself to buy a Sony for musical enjoyment...multiformat playback is great but I will always go for a well built audio stage and well designed power supply...you don't get that with Oppo or Sony...and I have been through many ES models over the years...
                                                                                          While I agree with you on the Oppo for music (I have a DV-983H), I can't agree about the Sony ES players. Are you including the SCD-XA9000ES in your opinion? I have one and strongly feel it sounds outstanding...as well as did Stereophile which rates it an A+.

I can't speak for the newest models in their line as I have not heard them.

As for multi-channel music, I used to share your opinion until I started listening in earnest. I am now a fan, as it reminds me of my younger days playing in an orchestra and in several local rock groups. It kind of makes you feel like you're on stage.
                                                                                          Last edited by beden1; 16 November 2008, 00:22 Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"