X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff
    • Dec 2004

Watts per channel vs N802

I recently purchased a pair of N802's. The amp which powers them is a Rotel RB-1080 ( 200 wpc at 8 ohms, 330 wpc at 4 ohms). I brought home a demo
    Proceed Amp 2 ( 125 wpc at 8 ohms, 250 wpc at 4 ohms) to compare.

I know Proceed is a good amp. But the N802's are power hungry and I figured my Rotel could match it with the higher wpc. WRONG! This lower power amp was fundementally superior. The mids and upper range was articulate and defined. There was less effort as well as a deeper sound stage.

I was hoping the Rotel would perform better with the 802's. There are many who have posted comments about "it's not about wpc but the quality of amp". They were right! I can only imagine the sound coming from those who are running Bryston, Levinson, Class'e or McIntosh at 300 wpc plus. IT MUST THE INCREDIBLE!!!! :B
  • johan
    • Dec 2004

Very interesting Jeff. I have always suspected this. Those 500, 600, 700 watts some people talk about beeing necessary for N802 to sing is only needed when the quality of the watts isn't good enough. Then, I think, if you get some real quality 150-250 watts there is not really much more benefits to make getting more watts than that. Interesting that the Proceed amp worked out well, I have never heard a Proceed amp but I have the Proceed AVP2 processor for my N802s and thats a sweat combination. Try it if you can. Good luck with those great speakers, I can garantee many wow-experiences for a long time!!

Comment

• DanR
      • Dec 2004

Its like the old saying goes- if the first watt sucks, why would you want 299 more of them??? I have a Jeff Rowland Signature Model 2 and it is only rated at 75wpc(though the bench test report that comes with the amp says it tested at 135wpc) and it delivers plenty of power to my 802's. I have the Proceed AVP-2 preamp as well and it is a really nice combo! The purity of the wattage and deliverable current capability is so much more important than high numbers alone. Proceed products are made by the same folks that make Mark Levinson & Revel gear, so the quality and know-how are first rate.
      :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• Jeff
        • Dec 2004

[QUOTE=DanR]Its like the old saying goes- if the first watt sucks, why would you want 299 more of them???

Dan, If you want to say something, just say it.

Question Dan, how did you sell yourself on 75 watts? I would like to think
        at the time you were considering amps you knew about the preceived demands of the N802. Did you take it home to test? Unfortunately my
        dealer doesn't have any selection beyond Rotel. The Proceed amp
        was a fluke. What other amps did the Jeff Rowlands beat to win your praise?

Comment

• DanR
          • Dec 2004

Jeff,
          Yes, I had heard all of the peanut gallery say I need at least 250 watts and so forth and so on, but I have been at this hobby for many years and know better. I knew the number of watts itself meant nothing when a colleague of mine had me over for work and he had the 802's driven by a Bel Brown 1001. This amp is only rated at 50 wpc and sounded wonderful. Rotel is very fine gear. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying it unless they have a budget that included some higher priced amps. My reference to the first watt joke was for general info, not directed at the RB-1080. I used to own an RB-1090 on my second system and it was an admirable performer. To answer your question, I also demoed the McIntosh MC-252, Classe 201, Conrad Johnson 350 Premier and Krell FPB-300i. All very nice but when I heard the Rowland I was in love. Not many people have heard his amps, but they are breathtaking. Expensive-yes, but I feel it was worth the price. And the Model 2 had an upgrade option in 01' and 02' right before Jeff Rowland discontinued them that was even more stunning than the base model. Believe it or not, my old college sweetheart of 4 years moved to Colorado 10 years ago and does accounting work for Rowland and when I went skiing there 4 years ago she gave me the tour and I was able to meet Jeff himself and purchase the signature amp, which is a model 2 with about $2k worth of upgrades. Until you hear it, you wouldn't believe what I tell you, so I'll stop for now. If you are ever in the Philadelphia area you can come by and hear it and you will then understand what I am talking about!
          Last edited by DanR; 01 March 2005, 12:19 Tuesday.
          :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• Jeff
            • Dec 2004

Dan. I didn't think for a moment you were taking a shot at my RB1080. As you already know, that amp will only take you so far.

It's a small world when your formal gal works for a great amp mfr. I can say I'm on good terms will all my past ladies. Hmmm, I just wonder....

Thanks for the invite for a listen. I would like to think someday I could do that.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"