X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • turbokuo
    • Feb 2005

Classe 151 run N802's ok?

The Classe generates 150 watts per channel...do you think it will be fine for a pair of used N802?

The Rotel I think 1080 with 200watts per channel at the dealer worked fine. Since I'm hearing that Classe is a better amp, then the Classe 151 with 150watts should be comparable to the Rotel 1080 with 200 watts, right?
  • Dutch in USA
    • Jan 2005

I initially bought the 151 to power my 805 sigs. It did not go too well. I exchanged the 151 for a Classe pre/power amp setup after 1 day.... They now drive my N802's. I cannot compare to the Rotell as I did not do a 1:1 check. I listened to a complete Rotel set up and was not happy with what I heard, so I moved on and did not look back. The watts do not equal good sound. Try them out if you can, just be aware of the "gotta have" effect. Listen to what you can afford.

Comment

• turbokuo
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dutch in USA
      I initially bought the 151 to power my 805 sigs. It did not go too well. I exchanged the 151 for a Classe pre/power amp setup after 1 day.... They now drive my N802's. I cannot compare to the Rotell as I did not do a 1:1 check. I listened to a complete Rotel set up and was not happy with what I heard, so I moved on and did not look back. The watts do not equal good sound. Try them out if you can, just be aware of the "gotta have" effect. Listen to what you can afford.
      Can you please elaborate your experience with the 151s? What in particular did you not like about them running you 805's?

Comment

• Mark_C.
        • Jan 2003

I use a CAP-101 to power my 804s. Not a problem at all. I don't blast the system very often, so that helps. And I have a Rel Storm III sub blending with the 804s, which means I don't have to drive the system very hard to get deep bass. That said, I wouldn't power the 802s with anything less than 300 watts per channel. It's just a different beast that demands power.

Comment

• Jeff
          • Dec 2004

I can tell my Rotel RB-1080 is not up to the task of the N802's. The rotel
          did sound more effortless when it came to powering my Phase Tech's but
          the N802 has much great power demands.

Comment

• turbokuo
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jeff
            I can tell my Rotel RB-1080 is not up to the task of the N802's. The rotel
            did sound more effortless when it came to powering my Phase Tech's but
            the N802 has much great power demands.
            Can you explain what the downside of using your Rotel 1080 are?

Comment

• Jeff
              • Dec 2004

Turbokuo,

The down side would be a smaller and less refind sound stage at lower volumes. My Phase Tech's cannot match the mid range or tweeters of
              the 802. However, when performing an a/b test the Phase Tech's are
              not that far behind.

The Rotel is only powering the mids and tweets of the Phase Tech's
              With so much capacity still untapped the sound flows effortlessly from
              them. At the same volume levels (normal long term listening levels - mild)
              the 802's did not have this charactoristic. It's this effortless flow is my
              "issue" with the Rotel. Inspite of the P.T. lack of detail, it closed the gap
              with the 802's because the effortless presentation allow for greater dynamics
              a low volumes.

I will say, once you increase the volume to more robust levels, the Rotel
              preforms much better. Dynamics have return to levels you would desire.
              The mid range is more in balance with the low end. Rotel doesn't
              lack low end punch even at low volume levels. At high levels it kick butt!
              The Rotel is a true bi-wire amp. If purchased plan to run 2 sets of wire to each N802.

Eventually I will purchase another amp. Since you have not purchase the amp to match the 802's I would not highly recommend
              this amp. However, for $1,000 you get a lot of amp. I think you will need
              to spand many times that to make the N802's happy.

I'm off to perform more a/b testing. Hope this helped.

Comment

• Dutch in USA
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by turbokuo
                Can you please elaborate your experience with the 151s? What in particular did you not like about them running you 805's?
                Mhh. Not an easy/quick one. Part of the issue was that I auditioned the pre/power amp set up, not the 151. :duh:
                I felt that that set up would be overkill for the 805 and decided to go one step down. Looking at the documentation it seemed like a non-impact step. One box, but still seperated components inside and just 50wpc less.

Once I had the stuff at home I realised I missed something...magic. The 151 is too expensive to not be happy with it, so I decided that I should get me the set-up that I fell for to start with.

It was a good choice. The difference can be compared to being used to $20/mtr cable then upgrade to $200/mtr cable. You "just" get more of everything and it is instantaniously noticable, not a "between the ears" upgrade. The 805Sigs deserve it!

Cheers,
                Dutch

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"