X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Minivan
    • Jan 2005

805 or 704?

Looking to get a new pair of new front left and right speakers, primarily used for music but also part of a surround sound system.

These speakers are in the same price range I believe.

Any recommendations?
    ----------------------------------
    Rotel RSX-1056, B&W 805S front, HTM4S centre, DS8S surround, REL Q201E sub
  • bcgator
    • Nov 2004

Minivan,

I have owned both of those models, at the same time, and done A-B comparisons with them. There are certain variables that will help us make recommendations for you, given these 2 choices.

- what type of music do you listen to most?
    - what is the size of your room?
    - what equipment will you be using to drive the speakers, and what are your upgrade plans for this same equipment?

Both the 704 and 805 are great speakers, but I think they sound very different. Let us know the answers to the above questions and we can go from there.

BCGator

Comment

• Minivan
      • Jan 2005

Hi,

i would say i mostly listen to electronic music. Warp stuff like Aphex twin and drum and bass. Room is of medium size, about 7m x 6m.

Am using 602 s3 for front LR right now, but will probably put them as rear surround when upgrading, or sell them as it seems to be a waste to have them at the back.

Running them on Yamaha 750SE right now, but will upgrade the amp at time of getting speakers.

I'm thinking the 704's will be the ones I go for, but if you have suggestions i'm interested to hear them.

cheers,

Minivan

Comment

• bcgator
        • Nov 2004

Minivan, in that room I'm guessing most people would recommend floor standers. But if you're going to add a subwoofer, I'm not so sure the 805's still wouldn't work. If a sub isnt in your plans, you may like the 704's better.

From my experience, the 704's had more of a rock and roll sound, while the 805's made magic with female vocals, guitar, jazz and classical. Honestly, I don't have much experience with electronic music.

In my particular room, which is smaller than yours, the 805's actually performed better than the 704 even on the low end. But you're filling a larger space, and 805's alone may seem too top-heavy. I'm also thinking that with electronic music, the fact that the 805's (at least to my ears) can sound very forward may turn you off.

I'm not sure any of this helps you - and I'm not even sure that an in-store listening session will decide it either. You may need to get these into your home to make this decision. The 805's are very placement-sensitive, moreso than the 704's.

BCGator

Comment

• Minivan
          • Jan 2005

cheers for the info.

Perhaps an in home demo would be the thing to do. There's a cool shop Techno sound just up the road from me and i'm pretty sure they do that.

Not going to be in a position to get them just yet anyway, so we'll see what speakers are out later in the year.

cheers,

Minivan

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"