X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

704 or N805

Hello, I hope I don't sound repetitive with this topic, but it's about that time again. A couple months ago I was looking to upgrade from 601s to either 604 or 705, but that got delayed. Well, my wife is going to go out big on me in 3 weeks since it's my last real birthday, so she has about $2200 for my gift.

So it's either the 704s or 805s. I have listened to both speakers, and like both, but just want some opinions. I have a Marantz SR6400. I know it might not be enough to drive either speaker to it's it's optimal performance, but I plan on buying a Marantz MM9000 amp this late summer. Either way, the fact is I don't have a dedicated amp yet. I have listened to the 704s with just the 7400 and it sounded great. I've listened to the 805 with Rotel separates, but never with an AV receiver.

My wife prefer towers, and even though the 704 sounds great to me, I know I would prefer to the 805 sound. I would not be adding any other speakers (center or sub) for a while, so it's just 704 vs 805. We listened to... well, probably more different ranges of music than anyone we know. So what would you guys do?

By the way, 50% music, 50% movies.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • js24
    • Feb 2005

why not getting 703 (or 804) used at audiogon? (unless, of course, you prefer getting a brand new)

one vote for 704- I got my 703 cuz my wife liked it bettter than some other speakers, too
    good luck

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

I would highly recommend getting a used pair of 804s for that price. I picked mine up for $2350 dealer demos. You would have to spend more for stands for 805s and to me the thought of paying for steel stands is as waste of money. Better spent on an additional driver.

So, 703s or N804s would definately be the way to go! You have to mind the people buying B&W speakers tend to take very good care of them, so the risk of abuse is there, but minimal.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

I personally prefer the 704s over the 703s. If I choose the 704s, then my wife would get them new. Yes, I know that us B&W owners keep our speakers in perfect condition, but you don't find too many 704s or 703s being sold used, and if you do, you still have to add $100 for shipping, which kinda puts it back to store prices. That's why she would prefer new if going for the 704.

If I could find a pair of 804s for $2200 or less, than I would jump on that. But with that said, would they run ok on a Marantz SR6400 (100x5)? You're right about the stands, but used 805s are around $1500 now plus $200-300 for stands is still only $1800. That's a pretty good price. Good suggestion though.

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

I would check your local B&W stores for any used stock....

You can always upgrade your amp later, or u can demo them with an equivalent amp at the store, just to make sure it doesn't sound bad to you.

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I actually already called all my local stores (up to 80 miles) and none of them have any of the older 800 series left. Too bad for me.

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
              • Mar 2005

I don't know how helpful my thoughts will be, I haven't heard the 700 series but I own the Signature 805's and have owned the N803's. I would chose my S805's over N804 or N803's and I would chose any of them over the 700 series. (I am not including the new S models.) So my vote would be for the new 805S or a used set of S805's.

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Sorry Omega, but I doubt I could find a used pair of S805s for two grand or less. Thanks for the input though.

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
                  • Mar 2005

I agree Audio, but you stated your wife had $2200, you didn't state whether you had anything to add to that and if you can get a dealer to discount the new 805S's you may be close to your stated $2200.

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

No, just $2200. Nothing else should be assumed. But the 805S is not an option because then I still would have to spend $200-300 for stands. So thank you Omega, but no.

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
                      • Mar 2005

I understand, and it appears I have touched a nerve with you, so I will leave you to others for help, not that I have anything more to add.

I wish you the best.
                      Brian

Comment

• audioqueso
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

No offense was taken. Thank you for your suggestion though.

Comment

• perato
                          • Jan 2005

Stands do not need to cost US$200 to US$300. I use Studiotech SP-24 with B&W 705. The SP-24 cost US$86 (including shipping) on Amazon. I then added lead shot and modded the stands to attach to the B&W 705 for no more than an additional US$50.
                          In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• turbokuo
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OmegaSpeed
                            I understand, and it appears I have touched a nerve with you, so I will leave you to others for help, not that I have anything more to add.

I wish you the best.
                            Brian
                            Sheesh! That's what you get for trying to be helpful... :

Comment

• audioqueso
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by perato
                              Stands do not need to cost US$200 to US$300. I use Studiotech SP-24 with B&W 705. The SP-24 cost US$86 (including shipping) on Amazon. I then added lead shot and modded the stands to attach to the B&W 705 for no more than an additional US$50.
                              Good stands do.

Comment

• Boone38
                                • Dec 2004

I was in the same delima and ended up getting the 805s for 2000.00 and the bought the 600 series stands for 99.99. They work great and if you add some lead shot they are very sturdy. I listened for hours on the 705, 703 and the 704. For the cost difference the 805s just that much better. Just ordered the HTM4 to go with them.

Good luck

Comment

• audioqueso
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

I wanted to do the same thing as you, Boone. I liked the older 600 stands (the one with two silver posts), but when I went to my local dealer, they told me B&W doesn't sell them anymore, only the new 700 stands. I wouldn't mind buyng a pair if I could find them.
                                  Last edited by audioqueso; 10 March 2005, 09:16 Thursday.

Comment

• rick c
                                    • Aug 2004

JC,there is a pr of 704's w/htm7 for sale on audiogon right now if your interested.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

Yeah I know, I keep writing the guy but he won't respond.
                                      Thanks for the tip though.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"