X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcgator
    • Nov 2004

Comments: B&W 704 vs. N805

Hey gang,

Thought I'd throw some comments out, maybe spur a discussion. I started putting together a surround sound system earlier this year....added a set of maple B&W 704 (fronts) and HTM7 center to an older pair of ADS L570's (backs) to get myself started.

Well, a few weeks back I had the opportunity to pick up a set of the N805 with stands for a decent price, so figured why not. They replaced the ADS L570's in the rear. I know, I know, that's kinda funky using the 704's up front with 805's in the back. But it's all in fun, right?

Well, as a surround sound system it's pretty amazing - no complaints. And it should be, for the kind of money involved.

Where it gets interesting is when I decided yesterday to spend several hours really comparing the 704's to the 805's for stereo and multichannel DVD-A listening. My thinking was, if I really liked the 805's a lot, I could always sell the 704s and HTM 7 and just get another pair of the 805s and an HTM2 (used, the money works out about the same).

The comparison is also relevant on the board, because I recall someone asking about the 704 vs. 805, simply because the costs were fairly close.

Anyway, the comparison was interesting but tough. Both speakers sound outstanding, but for different reasons and with different music (yes, that's stating the obvious).

The 704's have a fuller sound, more bass punch, and are more laid back than the 805s. They disappear into the room, but not to the extent that the 805's do. The 805's on the other hand just about disappear completely, are very forward, and create this amazing spaciousness that makes the music simply come alive. Hard to explain, but music from the 704 sounds like it's coming from a speaker. A nice speaker, but a speaker nonetheless. Music from the 805 sounds like it's coming out of....well, not like it's coming out of a wooden box the size of a monitor. It surrounds you, like it's coming out of the walls and the ceiling. It's an amazing sensation, and testament to the greatnest of the N805.

With female vocals, like Allison Krauss, or Jacintha, or Patricia Barber, the 805 sounds much nicer than the 704. Same for jazz/percussion, like Diana Krall's "Girl in the Other Room". If someone told me they were heavy into jazz, I'd tell them to run (not walk) and buy a set of the 805s. It would be love at first listen.

On the other hand, the 704 really makes rock and roll sound good. From Def Leppard's "Bringing on the Heartbreak" to Liz Phair "Rock Me", the 704 sound right at home. Balanced, full, detailed, and with that kick in the ass we all love so much. If someone told me they owned every AC/DC album ever made, or were a Ryan Adams and Sarah McLachlan fan, I'd tell them to opt for the 704.

But what if you're like me...and go from Liz Phair to Def Leppard to Patty Griffin to Allison Krauss to Metallica? Now that's a conundrum. Of course, I'm not complaining as this is a nice dilemma to have. And the 2 pairs combined do sound very nice with DVD-Audio. The 704 up front give the music punch and body, while the 805s have that nice airiness and treble on top.

But if I had to choose one over the other...or even in trying to decide whether to sell the 704's in favor of a 2nd pair of 805, it's a very difficult decision. If someone were asking that question, I'd have to ask them what kind of music dominates their CD collection, and what characteristics they look for in their sound.

Maybe my spitting all this out might help someone else who's considering B&W speakers in the near future, so there you have it.

BCGator
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I say get a pair of 804's and get the best of both worlds... of course its more money though, but not too much if you plan on buying the b&w stands for the 805's...
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• ekkoville
      • Aug 2004

BCGator, do you use a sub for the two channel music when using the 805's? If so, is the sound even more full than with just the 704's playing? I find using monitors and a sub yeilds that sensation of surrounding you that you described. With a sub set right the low end would just extend and "fill the gap", so to speak. Just curious, I know there are several 805 owners here, and they will most likely chime in.

Erik

Comment

• bcgator
        • Nov 2004

Sikoniko, there's a sizable difference in cost between the 805+ stands and the 804, at least $500 even on the used market. You're right, that's not substantial, but it's not trivial either. And I haven't always heard people rave about the 804's the way they do the 805's though I'd like to hear them for myself someday.

Ekkoville, I do have an ASW600 sub. And when using/testing the 805's with rock, I found the sub filled in that gap. However, I wouldn't use the sub with the 805s for jazz or female vocals. The bass on the 805s is excellent, in my opinion, and the sub is nice but sometimes not even required. The 805's do have punch, and plenty of low end for my taste. And to answer your other question, you do get more oomph with the 805+sub combo than with the 704's running solo. But it depends on your taste, sometimes that oomph can overwhelm (to me, anyway) some of the finer attributes of both the 704 and 805. In other words, I'd use either speaker more often than not without a sub at all.

BCGator

Comment

• DrBoom
          • Dec 2003

Funny, I have 804's as fronts and 805's as rears and I did just the same as you did last week, compare them both as frontspeakers
          Turned out in favor of the 804's, much better than the 805's which I also like.
          I run my fronts fullrange for stereo, without sub, and the 804's are so much more dynamic and have better punch even in the midbass.
          They're much clearer and a bit more forward sounding than the 805 and present a larger and wider soundstage which makes listening to rock so much more involving and entertaining.
          For jazz and stuff the difference isn't that big, but for more dynamic music it is.
          It's very obvious with dramatic music like the Finnish metalband Nightwish.
          Their latest album Nemo is recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra , which makes it even more dynamic and thrilling.
          The classical instruments really come alive with the FST midrange in the 804, and the choir seems much larger than it does on the 805s.
          The midrange detail is also a lot better in the 804's, and they seem to have more highs as well although it's the same tweeter.
          I have an ASW650 as sub, but trust me that you don't want to use it with 804's because their bass is much punchier and tighter though there is less oomph.
          For movies it works fine, but music requires either a very good and fast sub, or no sub at all.
          So I can really recommend the 804's in favor of the 805's, if you can find them at a reasonable price I'd say go for it and trade in the 704's. :T
          That is if you prefer the 800 series' sound over the 700 series ofcourse.

Comment

• bcgator
            • Nov 2004

DrBoom, thanks for that comparison info. You're right, in addition to considering the 805's as replacements for the 704, one should also consider the 804 if the money works.

Now, let's throw one more into the mix...if you had a choice between the 805 Signatures, and 804's, which would you go with?

BCGator

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"