• Lefteris
    • Feb 2005

Trouble with amplification

Hey B&W owners!

Straight to the point:

1) 604S3s
    2) 602S3s
    3) LCR600S3

How the hell do I match the LCR model with the rest? I've solved the narrow soundstage of the LCR with vertical positioning, but how am I supposed to sonically match it with the openess the other speakers have? I wish I had an extra 4000 Euro laying around, but I don't! I'm stuck with a crappy sony reciever for at least a year. So?

Thanks guys!
    Miles Smiles
  • Lefteris
    • Feb 2005

Ok, one more thing. Do you think I should get a sub?
    Miles Smiles

Comment

• rick c
      • Aug 2004

It is matched.I'm not sure what your getting at by putting the lcr vertical.What amplification are you using.I have the 603s3 w/lcr600 and dont get that narrow soundstage your referring to.Are your speakers setup properly?as far as the settings.Almost forgot getting a sub would be beneficial.

Comment

• caleb
        • Aug 2004

You will definately hear a big improvement with a sub.

Before my new setup - I had an identical one to yours and didn't have any problems with the soundstage.

What amps are you using?

Comment

• Lefteris
          • Feb 2005

Sorry to disappoint you..

Sorry about this, but I'm still with a crappy sony reciever. But, what I'm hearing is a different pitch on pink noise. About the soundstage, check the LCR's specs. They say: horisontal dispresion: over 40 deg. arc. Which means only within the 40/360 perimeter of a cycle you get all of the signal. You get good matching with the 603s, because they're both 2.5 way speakers. This means that the crossover is different, something that's not the case with the 602s. So, any ideas? I'm kind of dissapointed with B&W on this one, I think. It's better having 5 horrible, but identical speakers for your HT, than 5 different ones that are great, but with differences in frequency responce.... ARGH! :M

About the sub... has anyone demoed the JM Lab Electra SW 900? I heard it's preety musical, but still too busy to look around... the B&W 675? Too Ht- orientated? I can only speculate, so your experience is invaluable!

Thanks guys for the posts!
          Miles Smiles

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

I think it's funny my LCR600 matches extremely well with my 604s. Absolutely Identical...no, of course not. If I had wanted that, I would've gone with 7 602s or 604s...but I needed the magnetic shielding of the LCR600. I think it does a pretty good job for what it is... But to say it's the best, no I wouldn't go that far.

Lefteris, I would try (just for fun) taking one of your 602s and using that as your center, see how you like it. I be that would work better for you. Then just go get another set (or single speaker) for use as a Center (and back center for 6.1 if you buy the pair). That might work better for you.

On pink noise though, I can hardly tell any difference...but when there is dialog that's panned around the front sound stage, I can close my eyes and tell the difference in tone on the center. But honestly, I think it's pretty well timbre matched for the difference in size of all the speakers.

Remember 5 identical (or 6 or 7) is the ONLY way to go....

I'd also upgrade that Crappy Sony receiver, I bet that's making a huge difference in it as well. I noticed my LCR600 sounds a lot closer to the 604s now that I got my Rotel RSP-1098 and RMB-1095.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• jlee
              • Aug 2004

Just a quick note... the 40 deg. arc thing is response WITHIN 2 dB of reference... it's not like the speakers don't produce sound outside this 40 deg. window . You will hear sound from every angle, just with some frequencies emphasized or sucked out.

Comment

• Lefteris
                • Feb 2005

I totally agree with you , the sony must go ASAP. But, unfortunately, due to the shape of my room the dispresion must be as wide as possible... Not that I come to think of it, the lower sensitivity of the LCR (due to 2 kevlar cones...!) must cause the problem. Thank you very much for pointing out the amplifier factor...

Cheers ! xx
                Miles Smiles

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"