want to build TV, LCR standing spkrs into wall---how to start?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dpolmann
    • Dec 2004

want to build TV, LCR standing spkrs into wall---how to start?

I have done many renovations to the house, and now time to work in living room area. I have Mitsubishi rear projection TV with B&W center speaker on top plus B&W speakers floorstanding left and right. Surrounds and backs are in the ceiling. For aesthetics, want to "build in" the TV and the front speakers. Would be DIY. Put speakers on shelves and hide speakers behind cloth grilles. Of course, I am concerned about having enough "air" around the speakers in order to retain some reasonable soundstage. I'd rather not go with in-wall speakers as I am told by dealers who sell them that I will not get same audio quality that I have with cabinet B&W. Audio/video components would be in a "closet" to the side or around the corner. All wiring to be hidden. Any suggestions on how to start this project would be very much appreciated. Guidance? References? Reading material? Other forums? Websites? Manufacturers? Tricks of the trade? Words of wisdom? Cautions? Thanks in advance.
    Don
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

This may be a more appropriate topic for the Spaced Out forum area, where you have posted it also. By build in, do you mean a unit which is flush with the wall? Making, in effect, a deep clost for the HT gear, with the opening flush with the wall? If so, this will affect the lower midrange and bass to trebel level, becuase free standing speakers usually have some baffle step compensation because of the transistion from 2 pi space to 4 pi space radiation. At the least, you may have to use some additional EQ to get the balance correct. You'll have to have the speaker fronts flush with the wall, without gaps, or you will get some cavity effects, which will be hard to predict. For HT it may not matter to you; for music, the problems may be more obvious.

There are some high quality built-in designs from reputable manufacturers, but they tend to be expensive compared with "off the shelf" box speakers.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dpolmann
      • Dec 2004

graphic attached

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      By build in, do you mean a unit which is flush with the wall? Making, in effect, a deep clost for the HT gear, with the opening flush with the wall? ... You'll have to have the speaker fronts flush with the wall, without gaps, or you will get some cavity effects, which will be hard to predict. For HT it may not matter to you; for music, the problems may be more obvious.
      See stick drawing attached. I hope it came through, as this is my first-ever attachment.

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      There are some high quality built-in designs from reputable manufacturers, but they tend to be expensive compared with "off the shelf" box speakers.
      I've been doing some research on that. I have B&W CCM80's in the ceiling as I had no other place to put the surrounds and backs. I have considered various manufacturers for built-in fronts, including Triad and Legacy Audio both of which have enclosed back boxes so that the wall cavity is not a big factor. Of course, the wall resonance/vibration is always there. Not sure which way to go.

Thanks much for your thoughts.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dpolmann; 13 February 2005, 14:31 Sunday. Reason: bad upload
      Don

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"