X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • randalldolan
    • Jan 2005

SCMS for Front Speakers

Hello all. My first post. I have been directed to get my speakers off the floor. You all know how it goes. I have limited space and considering buying Signature SCM's for a great price for the front mains. I have a CMC center and ASW 675 for a sub. Rears I have inwalls CWM 800's. I have a Rotel 1056 driving the bunch.

Most of my listening is music 75/25 to HT.

Any one out there using the SCM's as mains. Any concerns on my set up.

Thanks in advance.

Randy
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I have SCM1's as rears and think they sound great for their size. I can't actually comment on the signatures though. When you buy them, they come in a box paired together, which I find odd, since b&w says the SCM1 will work well as a center channel as well, which leads to my next suggestion, you will probably want one as a center as well.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• jlee
      • Aug 2004

SCM1's are underrated as 2 channel speakers... because of the cabinet design and mounting on the wall, you get less back wall reflections and this produces a very focussed and clean sound. The only thing you lose is bass, but even then, because it's wall mounted, you get ALMOST as much bass as the 805. I personally like the sound of the SCM1 better than the normal 805... of course, the Signature 805 is better... Signature SCM doesn't have the bigger magnets and is only marginally better than the SCM1.

You can buy 1 SCM1 by request from a dealer (to use as a center or single rear)... however, they are now discontinued so that may make things harder.

Comment

• randalldolan
        • Jan 2005

Thanks for the help. I can get a screaming deal on these and they pass the wife test. My wife of course wants everthing discrete. I just don't want to give up sound quality. I am hoping the ASW 675 will fill in the bass that I may be giving up on the 805's. Any reason out there to go the the new version SCMS.

I am new to this group and wnat to thank everyone for their great help and knowledge.

Comment

• jlee
          • Aug 2004

I would go with a used REL Strata III to match the SCM1's... I think they can be had for under $1000 on audiogon now.

Comment

• ti33er
            • Apr 2004

Hey randalldolan

hmmm seeing as you are a music fundi might I suggest (if you have cash and are up for it) replacing that sub with either a REL “Quake” / “Strata 3” / "Stampede" / "Strata IV" (Quake being the cheapest option of course) - these sub's are very musical and are a great combo with 805's in my experience (SCMs being practically identical), and one could get one of these fairly cheap these days, especially second hand…+ they also look really neat IMO!?

Also, if it is a possibility matching fronts are recommended, so either a SCMS or another Signature SCM, or even a seconds NHTM2 if you can find one, would be my advice for the centre?
            "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• randalldolan
              • Jan 2005

Thanks John, As always, one purchase leads to two more.

It seems that I may be on the right path. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Steel
                • Mar 2004

I use Signature SCM1s as my two channel stereo speakers. I use a velodyne sub. I think they sound great and you can't beat the wall-mount. Given that the new series is supposedly much better than the signature series and (to my chagrin) much cheaper, I would consider buying them.

Comment

• randalldolan
                  • Jan 2005

Just got home from the B&W "trunk show" here in Denver. Listened to the new 805s. Very impressive. Some feedback from the reps at B&W on the SCMs. The new SCM's will not be availabe for a few months. The tweeter is built into the cabinet which may not allow the seperation that B&W is known. Therefor, I did pick up the new Signature SCM's at a great price. I also purchased a Rel Strata III Sub Woofer, as well, to fill out the range. Thanks Paul for that suggestion. It was right on. Should have the install complete in a few days. I will post my pics as well as comments.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

• Hammie
                    • Oct 2005

This thread is almost a year old and would like updated feedback on using the SCMS's as fronts (and probably rears in my 5.1). I would also like a suggestion/recommendation on which center would be best for an above TV installation.

Thanks,

-Lou
                    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                    Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"