X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

804/704/1060...

I was hoping to receive some advice on what seems to be an upgrade that’s gonna have to last for a looong time… My current system is listed in my signature.

As everybody here obviously knows the introduction of the new 800 series has triggered a major decrease in retail prices of the ‘old’ Nautilus range. During my search I stumbled on a pair of demo 804’s for app. the same price as a new pair of 704’s.

Fact is I’ve been thinking about an upgrade for quite some time now, however I can’t seem to decide which will give me the most ‘bang for buck’. I narrowed my options (as I see them) down to three:

1. the demo 804’s
    2. a new pair of 704’s
    3. a new RDV1060
    (4. any suggestions?)

Notes:
    1. I’ll be powering the 804 with an RMB-1075 and since this option is the most expensive, I don’t see myself upgrading my amplification for at least a year.
    2. Great homogeneous soundstage (700 series all around), but the 804 is obviously a better speaker than the 704
    3. This option is the least expensive, but maybe it’s better to wait for Rotel’s upcoming line of players. (Than again I can’t imagine stacking CD/DVD/DVDA/SACD playback compatibility into one machine won’t mean making compromises…).

The area I’d like to improve is stereo performance.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by weijst; 04 November 2012, 20:14 Sunday.
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R
  • calli43
    • Dec 2004

Weyst,

Today I heard the 704 playing on a Rotel RSX1055. And I must say that they didn't impress me at all. Sound was very laid-back and thin.
    I also heard the 703 an they got it all dynamics, detail, and bass.

So I don't know if you auditioned the 704 yet, but I would advice you to listen at the 703 as well.

Greetings Karel
    ( from the netherlands to)

Comment

• weijst
      • Jun 2004

Hoi Karel ,

Fact is I can get those 804's cheaper than the 703's...

Another reason for not listing an 703 option is that I don't expect the 703 to be a better match with my HTM7 than the 804...

Bottom line, I see no reason to opt for the 703's.

Please DO correct me if I'm forgetting something...
      Last edited by weijst; 21 January 2005, 05:10 Friday.

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

Without QUESTION...804s!!

And get a used HTM2 to match better than the HTM7.

Comment

• Twincam
          • Feb 2004

Hoi

Well, I PM'd you my long answer...but the short one is:
          Option 1.

Best regards

TC

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Wouter,

For me the short and the long answer is the 804s! (at less than the 703s it's a no brainer!)

Geoff

Comment

• weijst
              • Jun 2004

Thanks to all of you guys! Today I recieved the N804's (and boy do they look gorgeous!). First impression: where are my speakers?! The soundstage is huge and I absolutely love the way those 804's handle low frequencies.
              I do have to eat dry bread and drink water for a while, but than again, I know time flies when you're having fun .

Now I'm off playing around with placement a bit...

Comment

• Twincam
                • Feb 2004

Great, enjoy!

Comment

• drgolfnut
                  • Jan 2005

how do you like the sound?

I currently have a pair of 705s and am in the same boat you were just talking about. Should I get matching 700s up front and move the 705s to the rear? Or take a step up and go 803/804 up front? I am worried that the 800s as mains would not match the HTM7 center. What have you found to be true in your short in this very situation?

Comment

• weijst
                    • Jun 2004

Well, as you know, for a homogeneous soundstage you ought to get yourself a pair of 704's... However, since they were about the same price as a couple of demo 804's (old model), thus considerably cheaper than a pair of 703's, plus the fact I mainly wanted to improve on stereo performance, I opted for the 804's.
                    About matching the centre; ofcourse getting an HTM1 would be ideal, however you can also look at it this way: the HTM7 is far from an average speaker. It is a very decent centre indeed (as you well know by now) and coupling it with a pair of N804's doesn't make this less true. Secondly, the centre is mainly used to produce vocal sounds, wich do not come out of the mains that often during a movie (mixing of sounds doesn't occur that often). It's when objects are moving across the front soundstage when you can hear the difference in characteristics (700 vs 800) wich, IMO, is agressiveness of the high frequencies. But lowering the output volume (db) a bit on the centre and you'll be a happy camper (until you get yourself that HTM1 that is )

I'd say, go for it! The better stereo performance dominates the fact that the HTM7 (theoretically) doesn't belong there.
                    Last edited by weijst; 27 January 2005, 09:28 Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"