X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonych31
    • Sep 2004

704 owners

I just want to know what sort of speakers you have before settling down with B&W 704.
    How long have you been holding it since ?
    What amp are you using it with ?
    What sort of sonic improvements did you get ?
  • voxy
    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by tonych31
    I just want to know what sort of speakers you have before settling down with B&W 704.
    How long have you been holding it since ?
    What amp are you using it with ?
    What sort of sonic improvements did you get ?
    I plan to buy it and match it with Rotels.

Comment

• mahdnc
      • Aug 2004

I have had my 704s (and HTM-7) for about 10 months now. They replaced a set of CDM1 SEs that I was using as my fronts and a CDM CSE center for 7 years. The CDM 1SEs were then used as my rear surrounds (which have since been replaced by 705s about 5 months ago). The 5 700 series speakers are powered by a Rotel RMB-1075 amp. I have been very happy with it. Obviously my bass improved significantly. Someday I will spring for the 700 sub when the funds become available.

Comment

• mucke
        • Jul 2005

At last!!!
        I thougt i was the only one here that own 704
        Before i had 600 series ( 4 602s3 with a 600a center )
        The speaker is only 1 month old but i'm very happy with
        there performens soo far.
        I have a Marantz sr 7500 reciver at the moment but i thinking to get a Rotel rmb 1075.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
          • May 2004

I have a pair of black 704s also with a HTM7 center. I've had it for the past couple of months and they replaced a DM603 with LCR600 combo. They're driven by a Rotel 1075 amp and a using the preouts out of a Denon AVR2805, which will be replaced by a Rotel preamp soon.
          As for differences in sound quality compared to the DM603s: The bass is significantly tighter and the treble has a slightly more "out of box" kinda flavor to it. The differences is more subtle to me, than it seems for others, but I'm still happy with the upgrade. The cabinet finishes on the 700s are just gorgeus, especially if you appreciate higher end furniture, you'll love the finish on the 700s and 800s. Most of my friends that never seen mid range to high end audio before and they see my 700s setup, they always liked them aesthetically.
          You should go and get a demo of the 704s. But also compare them to the 703s, 805s and 804s. They're all fairly close in price, but each has a very unique sound, I'm sure you'll find one that you liked the most. Good luck.

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
            • Jan 2005

I upgraded from Harman/Kardon & Infinity to Rotel and B&W 704s, and they did not work well in my lively room. Acoustic treatments and some equipment changes made all the difference in the world.

Comment

• apocalypse
              • Jul 2005

Hi Blazemaster,

This will be my first comment on this site. I don't normally join sites for conversation but I too am upgrading my system and am searching for the ultimate upgrade. I do however have experience setting up systems as it has been my job for the past six years. Denon receivers are awesome, they have more features than most brands and don't have many faults, FOR THEIR PRICE. The AVR2805 I didn't think had anywhere near enough power to run any B&W speakers properly. The preamp stage however sounds quite good, and runs great with Rotel power amplifiers. Don't get rid of your Denon until you are sure the ROTEL processor makes an IMPROVEMENT, and remember you can adjust your Denon's sound contour with the BASS and TREBLE controls, which will affect every speaker with all sources. You may need to boost these to compensate for mixing brands. What runs your B&W speakers is just as important as what B&W speakers you buy, If you listen to different B&W speakers on Demo you must listen to them on the same amplifier you are used to listening to.

Comment

• sheldon007
                • May 2005

I have had my 704's and HTM7 for 14 mouths and loving it. It took a long time for break in but after it did,wow what a difference. There are driven by Marantz 8200 as pre amp and Anthem 30 power amp. Oh before I forget my previous speakers were CM2's on stands and CMC center. The700's are much more open,have better sound stage and has tighter bass. This is a major improvement!

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

thank you, apocalypse, for your comment. I do really appreciate your advice, but ultimatly, I'm happy with my system as it is and I do believe that I already reached the point of diminshing return already for my system, at least the audio side that is. My next upgrade will be the processor and I'll definitly get a good demo before I jump into it. I'm actually also in the process of moving, so the system in its current location is just a temporary thing, so I did not spend too much time tweaking with the placement and acoustics. I'll do that once I move to the new place. After I acquire the AV processor, I'll start focusing on the video part of the system. Love to get a 720p DLP FP soon. Thanks and sorry if I high jacked this thread. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"