X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • InTheRed
    • Mar 2004

Anyone have a Rotel 1075 on some B&Ws?

I just got a Rotel 1075 amp and, of course, I'm already thinking about some new speakers. I will probably get a new sub first, as i think that's my area of greatest need, but I was just curious to see if anyone has any opinions of certain B&Ws on a 1075...
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

InTheRed,

IMO, you can go up to the 700 series B&W with a Rotel 1075. Once you get into the Nautilus range, you need more (like the 1095). I have heard a B&W 600 series on a 1075. It was very good and the owner is really happy. BTW, what is your budget for a sub. If you can afford it, I would consider a Martin Logan Grotto ($999). I have the larger ML Depth, and it matches very well with my B&W's (quite musical and the thunder for HT as well). Hope this helps.

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
      • May 2004

Yes I do!

I have my Rotel 1075 running my center CM C and 2 pairs of CM2's for my surround. I am then running a Rotel RB1070 running the front CM6's. I'm very grateful that i have not had and buzzing (knock on wood) I love them.
      I do get a slight squeel out of the amp after I turn them off, very faint. :T

Comment

• Spookyslow
        • Oct 2004

I'm about to! I expect to pick up a 1075 today to power my 604/602/LCR600. I'm a little anxious that it won't be enough power--it's a larger room. Once I get it hooked up, I'll report back and let you know how it does.

Comment

• Mark_C.
          • Jan 2003

I'm using a 1075 with Nautilus 805s for mains and the HTM2 center channel, 601s for rears. No problem driving the speakers to spectacular levels if I want (but don't). I usually listen to my HT at about 60db.

Comment

• will1066
            • Aug 2003

60 dB? Can you hear me now?

Comment

• KMD
              • Apr 2003

I'm also running a 1075 with a complete Nautilus set up 802mains/HTM1center/805rears/675sub.Not to say this the optimal set up,but it's not, but with in a budget that I can still live with.It also works from keeping the creditors away from the front doors.Some day would like to move to a Bryston/krell/Mcintosh amp.But for now I'm very happy with the 1075.

Comment

• weijst
                • Jun 2004

I'm using my 1075 to drive a set of 705 and a HTM7 and it sounds magnificient! As for the 600 series, about half a year ago I powered a pair of 602 S3 and an LCR60 S3 with the 1075. That certainly was a difference compared to a previously owned Marantz reciever (SR5200)!
                Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Twincam
                  • Feb 2004

Most of the B&W Nautilus speakers benefit from more power , but for the 2-way speakers like 805, it doesn't make such a big difference in my opinion compared with the speakers that got the "oh I love power" FST midrange.

So, if you will go with the 6-series or 7-series (except maybe 703) or Nautilus 805, your 1075 will be absolute fine to start with. You can even go with 703's or 804's, and when you later upgrade to a better amp, it can be like finding that your car has an extra gear if you know what I mean.
                  I for sure preferer the 1075 to more poweful Denon amps /receivers . Power specs isn't always everything. And there are of course much better amps than the 1075 of course, but IMHO the 1075 is very good value.

I have my 1075 connected to Nautilus speakers, N804 , HTM2 and N805 for surrounds, and for sure it sounds very good, even with the 804´s in front (this doesn't mean it's perfect of course). However, I plan to connect the 804's in a pure 2-channel setup to a better and more powerful amp in the very near future, to more "fully utlilize their potential". Unless I trade them in for 803S or 803D...another story. But my 1075 will stay in the HT setup together with the 805, HTM2 and SCM1 that I recently bought.

Kindly regards
                  TC

Comment

• Boone38
                    • Dec 2004

1075 and B & W

I just bought the Rotel 1068 and am looking for a great 1075. I have the 602's with the 600 center mated with a Velodyne HGS12x sub. I tried the 1075 out from the local stereo store and it sounded awsome. I tried to buy the one that I used but the were unwilling to deal much. Demo/Scratched unit for 999.00. I have seen it for less. I understand the Rotel will only sell to the local stores and they frown on other stores taking mail order.

Is there a store out there that is willing to help me? I have seen them on audiogon but all are sold.

Is there any other used sites I can go to for used equipment? I would like to get a Monster 5100 as well.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

Comment

• hery
                      • Mar 2003

1075 with B&W's

I have 2 channels of my 1075 powering the 2 front channel CM 4's and one channel on the center channel CMC, with the RSX-1055 powering my CM 2 surrounds and I am extremely happy with my set-up :T

Comment

• ti33er
                        • Apr 2004

No offence meant, but in my experience ROTEL 1075 with Nautilus 805's (or any 800 Nautilus) is poor show - the sound is "thin" and you certainly can't get into your music i.e. it is quite laid back when you compare it with amps like TAG MCLAREN or Parasound etc. ....the bass in HT also lacks punch, and if you have a ROTEL Pre/Pro, over about the "60" volume setting, the bass loses it and sounds muddy, almost 'clips' the amp!

I sold my ROTEL and obtained a TAG MCLAREN 250W X3R amp, the difference was undeniably "just what the doctor ordered"...sadly I parted with that Amp to afford my Projector (also the fact that TAG sold out and have discontinued their range *sniff*)
                        "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• Mark_C.
                          • Jan 2003

No offense, but your experience is not normal. My 805s are primarily for HT, but they sound excellent paired with the 1075 for stereo listening. Certainly, they are not as deep and full as my 804s paired with my Classe amp, but still better than most. If I ever sell my 2-channel setup, I would have no qualms relying on the 1075 and 805s for my music as well as movies. Oh, and I run my Rotel pre/pro over "60'' quite often and the bass is fine and the amp is hardly working. Sheesh! Where do you golden ears come up with this stuff?

Comment

• ti33er
                            • Apr 2004

Dr Boom had a very similar experience to me with the same equipment...I don't claim to have golden ears, nor be a seasoned audiophile, but even my girlfriend claimed that she couldn't get into music with that amp in place (she is not really fussy, and was happy with her cheap Aiwa stereo until I started dating her hehe) ...there was also another person on this site a while back who agreed with what I said previously, can't remember who though.

If you are going to spend good money on Nautilus 800 speakers you want them to perform, or else what is the point of buying Nautilus speakers?
                            IMO ROTEL is not the amp to get the deserved performance from these beauties - 700 series and the latter seems more justifiable with ROTEL.

Comment

• ti33er
                              • Apr 2004

PS. Don't get me wrong, I am practically one for aesthetics over preformance and LOVED the way my ROTEL looked...but it didn't perform with my Nautilus and I lost a lot of money in less than 6 months, I was sad to depart with my 1075!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2003

ti33r,
                                IMO ROTEL is not the amp to get the deserved performance from these beauties - 700 series and the latter seems more justifiable with ROTEL.
                                I presume you really mean that the Rotel RMB-1075 is not the amp... etc. rather than making a generalisation for all Rotel amps.

FYI (and others) I would suggest the following combinations.
                                • RMB-1075 - up to any 700 series and the 805s (but not for critical stereo listening for the 703 or 805)
                                • RB-1080 - Any 700 series and the 805 and 804.
                                • RMB-1095 - Any 700 series and the 805 and 804s (but not for critical stereo listening for the 804)
                                • RB-1090 - 703 and the 805, 804, 803 and 802.

I have had a number of these confirmed by B&W UK...

If there are any doubts it usually relates to the top model speaker for an amp. E.g. the 805 on a RMB-1075 is marginal for critical stereo listening for some people. While the RB-1080 is marginal for stereo on the 803 for some people...

There are (of course) many other non Rotel choices...

Regards

Geoff

Comment

• DrBoom
                                  • Dec 2003

I have to agree with ti33er, but i'll limit my comments to the RMB1075 because I haven't heard the other Rotels (though there seems to be a trademark sound in all of them).
                                  I wouldn't recommend the 1075 for anything over 604's actually, that's the pricerange where this amp belongs both due to it's price and performance.
                                  For HT purposes I could see it fit in 700 series as well, and even 800 series up to the 804.
                                  But being a music lover I can't justify it for anything over the 600 series, imo it's not musical, has no rhythm/pace and just fails to excite with music.
                                  To put it in 1 word, to me it sounds boring for music.

Comment

• bcgator
                                    • Nov 2004

I don't have any experience with the Nautilus line above the 805's, so can't speak for the FST midrange and it's hunger for power. But I can say that I've done A/B comparisons with both B&W 805's and 805 Signatures, and the B&W 704, on an Onkyo 701 receiver (100 wpc) vs. Rotel 1075 (125 wpc) vs. Parasound Halo A51 ($4000 and 250 wpc), and even up to sound levels where my ears were just flat-out hurting I could not tell any difference in the sound quality between the Onkyo, Rotel and Parasound. No difference in bass performance, no difference in articulation or high-end extension, no difference in clarity at high volume levels. And no difference at low listening levels. This comparison was done using Nordost interconnects and bi-wire speaker ribbon/cable, so I don't believe my cabling was a bottleneck.

This test included what I would consider "critical" listening, using Jacintha's "Autumn Leaves" SACD, Diana Krall's "The Girl in the Other Room" redbook CD, some old Julie London on remastered redbook, Pink Floyd's "The Wall", disc 1 (lots of ambient sounds, whispers, other effects), guitarists Michael Hedges and Kaki King on redbook CD, and Queensryche's "Empire" DVD-A. Again, across several hours of testing (with frequent breaks) and using an SPL sound meter to keep volume levels consistent, I found no difference in sound quality.

All 3 sounded great, none was less involving than the others, none was more boring or less exciting. There was no difference in musicality. I even brought in another person, to see if their ears could discern any difference. After 2 hours, they said the same thing: "I cannot hear a difference".

Having said this, my opinion obviously differs from ti33er's and DrBoom's. Not only will the Rotel 1075 work well with the 700 series and 805's, but the 805's and 805 Signatures are much easier to drive and less demanding (in my own experience and testing) than I'd been led to believe. Of course, this is just my own experience and I'm sure plenty of people will step up to shout "insanity". And again, this only applies to the 704, 805 and 805 Signature. But, I and my friend heard what we heard.

BCGator

PS: I did email B&W prior to this testing, to ask about using the Rotel 1075 with the 805 Signatures, and they responded that the combination would work well.

Comment

• will1066
                                      • Aug 2003

Insanity!

Serenity now!

Comment

• mrkiko
                                        • Nov 2004

Geoff,

i find very interesting your classification. So, you actually mean that an RB-1080 would be better then a RMB-1095 with 804s if music is more important?

I understand BCGators's point, many times it is frustrating to hear very small or no difference between all these amps, it was the same for me some, but now I don't know why, things changed, and i don't know how a Parasound Halo sounds, but i know that my Marantz 7400 reciever sucks, it is tahat bad that i stopped to listen to music in the last days. I can't afford now a 1095, but if you say that the 1080 is soo good, i'll try it out, this could solve my problem immediately. But: why would the 1080 better in music? Isn't it there the same 200 watts, only 2 times instead of 5?

Kiko

Comment

• ti33er
                                          • Apr 2004

Gents, take a stab at this old thread (if you feel up to it)...a lot of interesting points made about the current debate:

PS. I find it hard to hear the differences (that so many people claim they can) with Interconnects and Speaker Cable, but changing my amp with my 805's made a notable difference to my ears, my girlfriends and even my unenthusiastic friend! He admitted there was a difference, and usually says HT and HiFi is a waste of money because there is hardly any difference between Hi-end HT gear and Cinema-in-a-box!

PPS. I tired the 1080 at my dealer with the 805's and still found the sonics to be similar to the 1075...I described the sound as "cold" initially, I have heard some people describe ROTEL as "neutral" sounding, perhaps this has something to do with it? Anyway, I still wouldn't recommend a 1075 with 805's or above after my experience. We all have our opinions, and perhaps not all our hearing is the same either, so in the end (to the person who began this thread), DEMO YOUR NEW AMP WITH YOUR PROPOSED SPEAKERS FIRST!!! ...and don't believe that things will burn in and sound right if you don't like the sound at all initially, because burn in is only subtle!

...here endeth my lesson.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                            • Nov 2004

If you plan on getting into the 800 series...I would highly recommend an Earthquake CineNova Grande...

I just heard the Grande 5, bi-amped to the N802s and HTM1 (using all 5 channels just for the fronts)...and WOW...is all I can say. That is an amazing set up with virtually no limits to the sound. Definitely what I want to get to at some point...

For anyone wanting TONS of power and a very good amp that sounds really good with B&Ws, I would really recommend that amp. It's not the prettiest (it's one big downfall I guess), but it just controls with complete authority and any volume.

If you have the money to get your hands on one of them, I would highly recommend to. It is on the brighter side of a Rotel amp...but very close all in all. Just have fun lifting that thing. HEAVY.
                                            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                            -Dan

Comment

• Twincam
                                              • Feb 2004

I would guess that the 1080 and 1095 sounds quite similar!? If you only use 805 or smaller, the differences you will hear between 1075 and 1095 is very minor, for normal HT usage IMO. Here I personally think that it's better to spend the money on a good sub instead. But if you can do both, fine, even better.

Like I said before I think that there is a clear difference in power requirements between the 805 and 804/803. But according to many people there are a similar, of not higher "step" between 804/803 and the bigger 802.

Cheers

TC
                                              Last edited by Twincam; 05 January 2005, 16:39 Wednesday.

Comment

• luszer
                                                • Feb 2003

I also suggest that the 1075 is a great match for 600 and possibly the 700 series, maybe not the 703.

I had CDM 9nts with a 1075 and 805s with a 1075. Both setups sounded very thin and strained. No fullness or texture to the sound. Very uninvolving, however I added a rb991, former 1080 2x200w, and this certainly opened things up. tthe overall presentation was more relaxed. The bass was tighter and quicker. I was really happy with the results.
                                                Then I uncovered a great deal on a Aragon 5 channel amp, I believe the model is 3005, so 5x300w. So, I went ahead and employed into the system leaving everthing else constant. The improvement has been pretty remarkable. I now have a wonderful sounding system that has finesse and plenty of power to drive the most difficult material.
                                                It felt like a wet blanket was removed from the speakers, the realism is amazing. The sound is lush and velvetty smooth. I can depict the emotion behind the music, its just so rewarding and fullfilling.

I hope this helps

Ron

Comment

• InTheRed
                                                  • Mar 2004

Thanks for the great information.

I don't really know my budget for a sub yet, as I haven't really demoed any. I don't have unlimited funds or anything, but I usually just try and look at ROI, that is how much more enjoyment do I get for every additional dollar spent on a piece of equipment. If it takes $1000 for me to be happy with a sub, I'll find a way to do it. But if I can do it for $500, I'm all over it.

RIght now I have a large Snell inactive sub powered by a 100w Marantz monoblock. I have never been happy with it.

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                                                    • May 2004

My Audiovox 1000W Amp beat it all!!!

Got it straped to a AC/DC coverter. I just had to take it out of my '74 Chevy Vega. It Rock Better than all my Rotel Equipment...... Just kidding thought I'd try to breakup some of the bashing to lighten it up.
                                                    2 simple rules to go by..... Buy what you can afford and Buy what listens best to your ears within your budget. I'd like a Ferrari too :rofl:
                                                    Have a great weekend all!!!!!!! :T

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"