X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slice
    • Jan 2005

New owner - RSP-1068 and RMB-1075

Just wanted to say "Hello" and thanks for all the info I've gleaned so far.

I have a B&O system 5000 and DCM TF-500 speakers (floorstanders), into which hooked my Mitsu 20" monitor, all circa 1986. I've been planning their replacements for a long, looong while. Finally couldn't take any more anticipation.

So last week I replaced the whole enchilada:
    Hitachi 42V710 42" LCD RPTV w/integrated HDTV tuner (silver)
    Terk HDTVi antenna (silver/black)
    Rotel RMB-1075 (silver)
    Rotel RSP-1068 (silver)
    Monster HTS-2600 (silver)
    Denon 2910 (black)
    Paradigm Studio 40v3's (cherry)
    Paradigm CC-470v3 center (black)
    Paradigm ADP-470v3 dipole surrounds (black)
    Paradigm Seismic 10 sub (black)

I also hooked up the following gear which I already owned:
    Sony SLV-940HF HiFi 4-head VCR (black)
    NAD 6240 tape deck (charcoal)
    NAD 4220 digital tuner (charcoal)

I'll probably keep the B&O Beogram 5000 turntable (radial arm), but sell the rest of the old setup.

I have used every single interconnect that came with the gear, plus every one I already owned, and am now planning which high-quality cables to replace them with. I've been to Bluejeans, CAT, Heartland, and some others. Has anyone purchased from Cablesolutions?

For analogs/components, so far I like Canare's RCAP connectors. For speaker cables I'm leaning towards Canare 4S11 in a bi-wire arrangement, but still not sure of which brand & style connectors. For digital audio and/or optical, I don't know. And I'm not yet sold on HDMI (which I think the 1068 doesn't accommodate anyway).

Thoughts??
    - Slice
  • DelRay
    • Jun 2004

Nice selection of equipment Slice. To be able to replace a whole system at one time must be sweet. I've hade my 1068/1075 for about 5 months now. Seems like the more I listen to it the better it sounds. Enjoy your new gear. :T

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

Sweet Slice, congrats on the new toys. Welcome aboard, and it only gets better as DelRay mentioned.

Comment

• alkalay
        • Jun 2004

Welcome

hi Slice,

Welcome and enjoy your new system.

DelRay, I coundn't agree more.

Itai.

Comment

• Slice
          • Jan 2005

Thanks! Now I'm finally able to listen to my 'audition CD's' through those sweet Studio 40's at home instead of just at the dealers, or in the car.

soundhound, any SRV concert DVD's I should look for?

Near as I can tell, all the gear is working as it should through the 1068. However, DVD video signals are limited to S-video quality, since I only have one (cheap) component cable right now so it has to go between the 1068 and the monitor. I'm itching to submit a cable order so I can get 2 quality component cables, along with everything else.

As I understand it, the preferred interconnects are:

1. CD>pre/pro: digital coax

2. SACD/DVD-A>pre/pro: 5.1 analog (does an digital audio connection supercede 5.1 here?)

3. DVD>pre/pro: component for video, digital coax for audio

4. pre/pro>monitor: component for video, analog for audio (no digital audio input on this tv)

5. monitor>pre/pro: component for video, optical for audio (tv has optical-out but no coax-out)

6. DVD>monitor?? Would there be any reason to have a direct HDMI connection here in addition??

Any input (he, he) is greatly appreciated, so I can get my cable order going.

(I'll probably also cross-post these cable Q's on the HTGuide general discussion)
          - Slice

Comment

• soundhound
            • Mar 2004

All of em, just to see the changes he went through, and the kind of passion the man played with, the Artist he truely was. Montreux Live 82 & 85 is good. Don't expect the kind of picture quality with these as a new release, but that is not why I bought them.

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

Slice, sounds like you've bitten off quite a big piece recently -- congrats. Regarding your interconnect questions, a couple of replies:

1. CD>pre/pro: digital coax Sounds good

2. SACD/DVD-A>pre/pro: 5.1 analog (does an digital audio connection supercede 5.1 here?) This requires 5 interconnects in addition to a sub cable. Some cable manufacturers actually package the odd number. You should probably hook up digital in addition to these analogs...some pre-pros decode DTS/Dolby Digital better than the DVD player itself (requiring digital).

3. DVD>pre/pro: component for video, digital coax for audio If you've only got one component source, you may or may not even want to route through the pre-pro.

4. pre/pro>monitor: component for video, analog for audio (no digital audio input on this tv) Why would you send audio to the TV? Let your Rotels do all the sound. I suggest turning off the tv's speakers, if possible.

5. monitor>pre/pro: component for video, optical for audio (tv has optical-out but no coax-out) Not sure what the purpose of this is??

6. DVD>monitor?? Would there be any reason to have a direct HDMI connection here in addition?? Well, this is debatable. If your DVD upscales (to 720p or 1080i), then you might want to try this. I'm not sure if the 1910 does this. I just bought a new player that does this, and I am getting an amazing picture, upscaled to 1080i. I left the components in place for convenience (so the rest of my family doesn't have to switch the TV inputs, in addition to the receiver).

Good luck with your new toys!
              Brad

Comment

• Spookyslow
                • Oct 2004

Texas Flood on SACD

It seems that your an SRV guy and have an SACD, you've gotta pick up Texas Flood on SACD.

I don't think it's the best example of the SACD format, but if you're an SRV fan-it's a must own.

Hope you enjoy it!

Comment

• Slice
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Blindamood
                  Slice, sounds like you've bitten off quite a big piece recently -- congrats. Regarding your interconnect questions, a couple of replies:

1. CD>pre/pro: digital coax Sounds good

2. SACD/DVD-A>pre/pro: 5.1 analog (does an digital audio connection supercede 5.1 here?) This requires 5 interconnects in addition to a sub cable. Some cable manufacturers actually package the odd number. You should probably hook up digital in addition to these analogs...some pre-pros decode DTS/Dolby Digital better than the DVD player itself (requiring digital).

3. DVD>pre/pro: component for video, digital coax for audio If you've only got one component source, you may or may not even want to route through the pre-pro.
                  <light bulb comes on> My (newbie) mind thinks everything has to be routed through the 1068 as it shows in the manual. My brain is a bit overstimulated right now.

4. pre/pro>monitor: component for video, analog for audio (no digital audio input on this tv) Why would you send audio to the TV? Let your Rotels do all the sound. I suggest turning off the tv's speakers, if possible.
                  <bulb #2>

[QUOTE]5. monitor>pre/pro: component for video, optical for audio (tv has optical-out but no coax-out) Not sure what the purpose of this is??
                  For those times where I want to record UHF/VHF onto the VCR. Maybe I'll just direct-connect to the VCR.

6. DVD>monitor?? Would there be any reason to have a direct HDMI connection here in addition?? Well, this is debatable. If your DVD upscales (to 720p or 1080i), then you might want to try this. I'm not sure if the 1910 does this. I just bought a new player that does this, and I am getting an amazing picture, upscaled to 1080i. I left the components in place for convenience (so the rest of my family doesn't have to switch the TV inputs, in addition to the receiver).

Good luck with your new toys!
                  Thanks Blindamood. Watching & listening to this system is true bliss.

soundhound & Spookyslow - ever seen John Mayer play SRV's songs? I thought he was a 'one hit wonder' until I saw his Austin City Limits concert on PBS; he's really quite amazing - very talented & versatile on the ax.
                  - Slice

Comment

• Slice
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by DelRay
                    Nice selection of equipment Slice. To be able to replace a whole system at one time must be sweet. I've hade my 1068/1075 for about 5 months now. Seems like the more I listen to it the better it sounds. Enjoy your new gear. :T
                    Thanks - it IS sweet, but then I've earned it. Plus with what I already had, I couldn't really piecemeal any of it (or so I told myself ) so I took the leap; besides, no sense doing something silly like putting the $$ towards the mortgage!
                    - Slice

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

Nice layout for your home Slice, :lol: , (pun intended).

Seriously though, congratulations on your new toys, that's some really nice gear.

Enjoy,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"