X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skip
    • Dec 2003

Opinions on CCM65 vs. CCM80 as rears

Hi all. I'm trying to determine which in-ceiling would make the most sense for my system. Does anyone out there have experience with B&W in-ceilings? Is there a significant enough difference between teh CCM65s and the CCM80s to justify the price difference?

Here's my current setup
    Mains: CDM9NT (I love these speakers)
    Center: LCR600S3 (By no means my first choice, but this is the largest B&W center that would fit in an armoire that my wife loves. Hope to upgrade someday soon, but unfortunately not this go round :cry
    Rears: A pair of in-ceiling Sonance speakers, which I am looking to replace.

Other info: I am currently powering the setup with a Rotel 1055. I am about to purchase a 1080 for the CDM9NTs and keep the 1055 for the center and mains). I use the system mostly for 2ch, but like the occasional DVD/DVD-A/SACD.
    Last edited by Skip; 29 December 2004, 00:02 Wednesday.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Skip,

I changed the title as "Looking to Tweak my System" was not very specific and your question was hidden in a lot of text - making it (from experience) not likely that many people would get to it...

PS - I'd go the 80s - they sound so much nicer in the mid bass area...

Geoff

Comment

• Skip
      • Dec 2003

Thanks for the help Geoff. I was a little long winded there.
      Last edited by Skip; 28 December 2004, 23:58 Tuesday.

Comment

• greggz
        • Jun 2002

I've got the ccm65's for my 6th and 7th channel speakers. In general, I really dislike in-ceiling speakers for HT, but I had no other option given the layout of my room. I chose the 65's so that the driver would "match" the 6.5" drivers that are in my N805/HTM2/SCM1's.

I've found that in my application (8 foot ceiling), the ccm65's throw a 12 foot diameter circle of sound. Once you step out of this circle, you experience suckout to the sound. Unfortunately my primary seating position is outside this circle.

If I ever have any spare money lying around, I would consider replacing the ccm65's with the new 817 in-ceilings ($700 each – ouch!) which are angled. I could then better aim the drivers toward my primary seating position.
        Last edited by greggz; 29 December 2004, 14:19 Wednesday.
        Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• dpolmann
          • Dec 2004

I have N804s and HTM-2 in front (constrained by size limit, too), and I use four CCM-80s in the ceiling for surround and back. I had no choice but to use the ceiling. When I auditioned the ccm series at my HT dealer, I liked the somewhat fuller sound of the 80's. In normal use for movies, they work really fine. In 7-channel "stereo" the full set adds nice ambience to the room at normal and low volumes. When I crank up the volume, the room really rocks. My daughter got carried away one day, indiscriminantly turning up the volume with kids' dance music; I thought the paint was going to peel off of the wall but the speakers never broke their stride. All sounded very strong without a bit of pain in any of them (the pain was in my wife's ears). I have Speakercraft sound enclosures (insulated metal back boxes) in the ceiling for each speaker (speakercraft item SEI 410). This seems to add a bit of fullness and warmth, and also keeps the insulation out of the back of your driver! In another room in ceiling for 2-channel, I have Boston Acoustic VRi585's (see http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ds_pr...&CategoryID=30) which seem to be a bit brighter and have a bit more punch then the B&W CCM-80 but at 50% higher cost. For HT, I like the ccm-80's just fine. Hope this helps.
          Don

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"