X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BW4me
    • Nov 2005

Rear surrounds advice needed

I'm looking for some more advice on my 5.1 set up. I have the CDM7NT's with the matching center channel up front but am not sure what I should use for the rears. I have no rear wall that is close enough so I'm considering CCM65/CCM80 in the ceiling, using a spot on the rear side walls for the dipole DS6 S3 or the M-1 mini monitors.

My problem is this: I have a vaulted ceiling going up and away from the front. This would make the ceiling speakers about 11 - 14 ft away from the main viewing position. My other option is about 7 ft up on a location on the side wall. Speakers on floor stand is not an option either.

I'm not really familiar with what the advantages or disadvantages would be with either position as it relates to movies, so I really need your expert advice.

Thanks for the help,

Steve
  • Clepto
    • Feb 2006

Would you ever be considering going to 7.1 down the road? That could be a factor in your placement as well... And what about multichannel music? Or is this primarily an HT room?

Comment

• BW4me
      • Nov 2005

I don't think I would have any interest in going to 7.1, although I do have a couple of lower spots on side walls where I could go with inwalls. But money and my wife's tolerance would prevent. So for movies it's primarily 5.1 HT. As far as music I prefer just listening in stereo.

Steve

Comment

• Audiophiliac
        • Apr 2006

CCM-817 are worth looking at. The wife would have to approve. I think it would be cool to paint them like eyeballs peering out of the ceiling. CCM80 are one of my favorite ceiling speakers too.

Comment

• Fife
          • Apr 2004

You should get the SNT surrounds.

Theres a pair on Ebay now. That would be the perfect match.

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

Tweeter has the Polk Monitor 30 on sale for $90/pair - a great value for those speakers. They would be a fine surround speaker.

Comment

• BW4me
              • Nov 2005

I just wanted to thank you all for your help. I ended up going with the CCM65's in my ceiling. I mounted them so that they are on the side of my ceiling that slopes back down allowing them to face toward the listening positions rather than away. This put them a couple feet further away but I think makes a better sound position. After a few movies on our new 120" screen I'm very happy with the results of great surround stage for my budget. I was actually very surprised at the clarity and bass for a ceiling speaker of this size. Glad I found out about B&W's from a friend.

My decision for these speakers came down to price (this was about all I had left) and my wife not having to see anything else hanging from walls or ceiling other than our projector.

Steve

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"