This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aphexist
    • Jan 2004

Well, I tried facing the rear 805s towards the rear wall and re-calibrated. Then I listened to some multichannel music and watched American Psycho. The rear soundfield is much less abrasive now. I feel like I can relax and enjoy rather than trying to tweak levels.

It disappoints me a little to see such nice speakers facing the wall like naughty children. I think the SCM1 (or something from a lower series) probably would have been a better choice for my room.

Interestingly, the pre-amp levels for calibration were roughly the same for the speakers pointing towards me vs. facing the wall.

Trey

Comment

• csuzor
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by aphexist
      Well, I tried facing the rear 805s towards the rear wall and re-calibrated. Then I listened to some multichannel music and watched American Psycho. The rear soundfield is much less abrasive now. I feel like I can relax and enjoy rather than trying to tweak levels.
      Yes, interesting. I could never get used to rear surround speakers close-to and pointing to the seating position, because fine-tuning only works for 1 seating position, not 2 or more. I finally opted for equal distance side surround positioning, but I have a corner layout which is well suited for this. Diffusing the sound from close rear-surrounds seems like the best compromise in your setup. Enjoy!

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

It disappoints me a little to see such nice speakers facing the wall like naughty children. I think the SCM1 (or something from a lower series) probably would have been a better choice for my room.
        The SCM1's would be perfect for your room. I have a pair of SCMS's sitting about 3.5' (~1M) behind the listening position, 12' (4M) apart (140 degree spread with respect to each other and the listener) and about 3' (~1M) above the ears. Both speakers a pointed directly (0 degree vertical axis) into the room with about a 10 degree inward toe for stereo imaging. Works well for me but not quite perfect as they are a little higher than I can accomodate them and the back wall is not uniform (large passway between the two).

To properly setup a surround field you will need to raise those speakers. The suggestion csuzor made may get you by but it is far from ideal.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I really like the SCM1's. I was amazed how good a sound comes out of them. I was a big fan of full range speakers all the way around, but the SCM1's broke me of that.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Ash
            • Dec 2004

hi guys,

sorry for jumping into your discussion. My surrounds are also placed like aphexist and I find that this placement is annoying. I figured that I should elevate the surrounds above ear level but I'm not sure what would be the ideal hight. I read that 1 meter above ear level is ideal, but I feel that is too high. What do you think?

thanks

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Ash
              I figured that I should elevate the surrounds above ear level but I'm not sure what would be the ideal hight. I read that 1 meter above ear level is ideal, but I feel that is too high. What do you think?
              As you may know, speaker placement and positioning varies from room to room. There are general guidelines from which to start. Then you make incremental adjustments to fit the needs of the listener and the surrounding environment. That being said, the general consensus for surrounds is about 2 feet above the listener's head or about 2.5 feet above the ear, which is a few inches shy of 1M. The idea behind surrounds is to project a diffused sound field. They should NOT be directed at the listener like the mains and center can be.

Ash, to start off with try 2 feet above the head measuring from the center of the drivers. Make slight adjustments up or down until you are satisfied with the results.

Disclaimer: These guidelines are for Home Theater applications ONLY. They do not apply when surrounds are configured for multi-channel music as it has very different requirements. Unfortunately, to do either configuration well you must pick one over the other.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• jim777
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                Unfortunately, to do either configuration well you must pick one over the other.
                While not perfect, speakers like the B&W DS7 seem to be a good compromise.

"The DS7 offers a choice of both monopole and dipole operation, either via a switch located on the front baffle, or remotely, using a 12V trigger from the surround processor."

Comment

• caleb
                  • Aug 2004

Damn this charming New Orleans architecture!
                  Hi Aphexist, my Biloxi home was fortunately a little more "normal" in dimensions.

The high cielings must give you a hell of an echo.

BTW - have you broken in you new speakers yet? ;x( :rofl:

Comment

• Ash
                    • Dec 2004

RebelMan,

Thanks alot for the feedback. I will follow your instructions inorder to get the best results, 2 - 2.5 feet seem reasonble.

Jim777,

I actually bought DS7 recently in order to be used for surround back for a 7.1 set-up, I haven't installed them yet though.

Comment

• aphexist
                      • Jan 2004

Caleb: The 805s were purchased second hand, so I haven't had the pleasure of taking a du...I mean breaking in the rear speakers.

There is no noticible echo in that room; I have a large area rug covering the wooden floors between the speakers and the couch and that helped the overall sound quite a bit.

The room is obviously a compromise since it is a rental. I am turning 25 this year, so I have been shopping around for a house of my own. When I am walking through a property, I can't help but think about which room is going to be for the home theater. There are many "modifications" I fantasize about doing, but I think I was testing my landlord's tolerance when I asked to hang the projection screen from the ceiling studs.

Nevertheless, I feel "I have arrived" with regard to the equipment I have purchased over the last year and a half. The only upgrades I desire now have to do with acoustics, decor, media storage (for ~2000 cds, 250 dvd, 300 records), and lighting. I need to get a new phono cartridge. I am currently browsing some of misterdoggy's products to use as wall decorations because, as you can see, the walls are completely bare. How bourgeois!

Comment

• Armbender
                        • Jul 2005

Finally got the Pics in.

Equipment list is in my profile
                        Attached Files
                        Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• DonH17
                          • May 2005

Looks great Armbender,

I've never seen a cabinet configuration like that. (I just hope you water that ivy carefully.)

Comment

• Armbender
                            • Jul 2005

Thanks. I like the stand because its adjustable for the width and is easy to transport.
                            If that plant was real it would have been dead a long time ago.LOL
                            Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• armasace
                              • May 2005

I just got my 800D & HTM2D. I love them, Now I need to get a new amp for center and mayble a new dvd player

Click image for larger version

Name:	B&W.JPG
Views:	3210
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	842553

Click image for larger version

Name:	B&W2.jpg
Views:	3410
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	842554
                              Last edited by theSven; 01 September 2023, 16:59 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Pez
                                • May 2004

Trey - still have that Earthquake amp? I missed it so much I ended buying another a few months ago. This week I purchased the 804S's and HTM3S, hope to get them Friday. Pictures coming soon...

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

welcome back to b&w's Pez!

Comment

• Ash
                                    • Dec 2004

armasace,

amazing setup there, looks great and I'm sure that they sound fantastic.

Comment

• Pez
                                      • May 2004

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                      welcome back to b&w's Pez!
                                      Thanks! As soon as I set the speakers up I will post some pics. One of features I like most with B&W's is the tweeter on the 700/800 series. When I sold my 705's and got some Paradigm speakers the first thing I noticed was a boxy sound. They sounded great but just not the same. I probably never would have heard that had I not owned B&W's with the exposed tweeter. It truly makes a more 360 degree sound - thats the best way to describe it.

The anticpation of picking them up is killing me. If they arent in by Friday I will have to wait a whole nother week to get them.

Comment

• karelm
                                        • Jul 2005

My new 802D

It takes up a lot of space but I'm loving it...
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• sikoniko
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2003

I understand the space issue.. I just got in trouble by the fiance for my new additions and the space they take up...
                                          Attached Files

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                                            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by armasace
                                            I just got my 800D & HTM2D. I love them, Now I need to get a new amp for center and mayble a new dvd player
                                            armasace, Very nice set-up - I'm starting to get jealous!! :T

Originally posted by karelm
                                            It takes up a lot of space but I'm loving it...
                                            karelm, love your set-up too!! :drool:

I understand the space issue.. I just got in trouble by the fiance for my new additions and the space they take up...
                                            sikoniko, when did you get you 802's? It's been a while since I have posted on this forum, but I thought you had 803's? (or maybe my memory is not serving me well, aging sucks!!) ;x(

Dan
                                            I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

I brought the 802's home today. It is amazing how much of a difference there is between the 804's I had the these. night and day. truely an amazing pair of speakers.

Comment

• Pez
                                                • May 2004

siko - what did you have to do to get your center to sit on top of your TV? is there is a shelf holding it? I am trying to figure out how I am going to place my center on top of the tv. The one I have now, a Paradigm CC-470, is not nearly as heavy as the HTM3s and is causing a little bowing.

Comment

• armasace
                                                  • May 2005

Thanks guys

you know how it is, once you get going you can't stop. Any advice on a good universal player? I was thinking of Linn Unidisk SC? I currently have the Pioneer Dv AX-10

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                                                    • Jun 2003

I brought the 802's home today. It is amazing how much of a difference there is between the 804's I had the these. night and day. truely an amazing pair of speakers.
                                                    After reading your reply - I guess I better start reading some of the threads I have missed - congrats on your new speakers - I was checking back and you have been talking about this upgrade for about 2 years now (possibly longer). I'll bet you are really a "proud papa"!!

Enjoy!!

Dan

Comment

• rnoble
                                                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by armasace

Click image for larger version  Name:	B&W.JPG Views:	3136 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	842553

Click image for larger version  Name:	B&W2.jpg Views:	3331 Size:	50.0 KB ID:	842554

Armasace, what can I say, a setup to die for, well done!
                                                      Last edited by theSven; 01 September 2023, 16:59 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2003

siko - what did you have to do to get your center to sit on top of your TV? is there is a shelf holding it? I am trying to figure out how I am going to place my center on top of the tv. The one I have now, a Paradigm CC-470, is not nearly as heavy as the HTM3s and is causing a little bowing.
                                                        I used a shelf similar to the one on the left and velcroed it to the top of my TV.

Any advice on a good universal player?
                                                        I purchased an onkyo SP-1000 from next level and am VERY happy with it. I highly recommend it.

After reading your reply - I guess I better start reading some of the threads I have missed - congrats on your new speakers - I was checking back and you have been talking about this upgrade for about 2 years now (possibly longer). I'll bet you are really a "proud papa"!!
                                                        very proud. I thought about emailing you. I look forward to the enjoyment they will bring. I am just in such shock how much of an improvement there is over the 804's. truely balanced. couldnt be happier. now my fiance... she thinks they are too big and ugly...

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

I have been reading this forum for over a year now so thought it was about time I posted some photos of my little 705 HTM7 based music/HT system. I have been having some fun today fine tuning the REL & 705s for 2.1 music. Before I borrowed an SPL meter I had the subs crossover at 46hz (as per B&Ws 705 specs for -3dB) however I measured the 705s -3db point at below 40hz in my room so I had to do a rethink. I am currently getting the flattest frequency response with the subs crossover at 35hz, although there is a dip at 63hz which I would guess is due to something in the room.
                                                          Attached Files
                                                          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• DonH17
                                                            • May 2005

now my fiance... she thinks they are too big and ugly...
                                                            Hate to say it, but it has to be said....

Speakers like that only come around once in a life-time!

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                                                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                                              I have been reading this forum for over a year now so thought it was about time I posted some photos of my little 705 HTM7 based music/HT system.
                                                              Briz, I think your "little" set-up looks very classy!!! I like it!!

Dan

Comment

• akhter
                                                                • Jun 2005

Here is mine:

B&W Nautilus 804 (Bi-Amped w/Kimber Kable 4TC/8TC)
                                                                Arcam AVR300 (Fw3.08/Dsp1.12)
                                                                Arcam CD73 (w/Kimber Hero WBT NexGen)
                                                                Denon DVD-2910S (w/Kimber Tonik)
                                                                Richard Gray Power Company 400 Pro
                                                                Sharp Aquos LC-32D7U
                                                                Attached Files

Comment

• xk8boy
                                                                  • Jul 2005

he's a couple of photos i took while messing around with my phone camera of my speakers. it looks great on phone's small screen, but no so good when viewed on a monitor.
                                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• stewfoo
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2005

I just had this custom piece of furniture built. I love it It is about 10 feet high by 15 feet wide, just to put in perspective. I just had it put in a few days ago, so it is not decorated yet. I figured I would let y'all see it.

Pioneer 5050 50" plasma tv
                                                                    Rotel 1068
                                                                    Rotel 1095 amp
                                                                    Toshiba cd/dvd player (ugghh)
                                                                    Rel Stentor III
                                                                    B&W 803s
                                                                    B&W Htm3s (inside a built-in cabinet under the plasma)
                                                                    ccm80 rear ceilings

I need a good CD/DVD player, power conditioner, and a few other things...
                                                                    Stew
                                                                    Attached Files
                                                                    Stew

Comment

• nyny
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2004

A Wall of Cherry B&Ws!

Hi guys, I finally set up my system in my new apartment and would like to share a few pix with everyone. Here is my setup:

HT:
                                                                      - Rotel RSP-1068
                                                                      - Rotel RMB-1075
                                                                      - B&W 705s (front and surround) + HTM7
                                                                      - Velodyne SPL-1200 II sub
                                                                      - Pioneer PDP-4350
                                                                      - Pioneer DV-578a (to be replaced by Marantz DV-9500)

Stereo:
                                                                      - Jeff Rowland Concerto Integrated
                                                                      - Rotel RCD-1072 (to be replaced by Marantz SA-11S1)
                                                                      - B&W 804S

Enjoy~
                                                                      Tony
                                                                      Attached Files
                                                                      Last edited by nyny; 02 September 2005, 09:25 Friday.
                                                                      Tony

Comment

• mariachi
                                                                        • Aug 2003

Tony,

That's just beautiful...

-Vic

Comment

• Pieter
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2005

Kim, your front wall is beautifully uncluttered. Very nice.

Comment

• scottielee
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Apr 2005
                                                                            • 121

awesome setup Tony!! everything is so tastefully matched :drool:

Comment

• nyny
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2004
                                                                              • 128

mariachi and Scott, thanks for the compliment, I tried my best with the very limited space that I can work with.

Scott, once I received my replacement Concerto Integrated unit, you should definitely drop by to check out my setup.
                                                                              Tony

Comment

• scottielee
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Apr 2005
                                                                                • 121

i am so looking forward to experience your system. be warned, once my body is glued to your couch, you might have a tough time getting me out of your home :

Comment

• weijst
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2004
                                                                                  • 282

Hey nyny,
                                                                                  Looking good there, WOW!
                                                                                  I was wondering: why not sell one pair of 705's and your HTM7 to get the HTM3S?

Enjoy!
                                                                                  Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• nyny
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2004
                                                                                    • 128

Originally posted by weijst
                                                                                    Hey nyny,
                                                                                    Looking good there, WOW!
                                                                                    I was wondering: why not sell one pair of 705's and your HTM7 to get the HTM3S?

Enjoy!
                                                                                    weijst, thanks for your comments. I did contemplated with the idea of trading in a pair of 705s and the HTM7 for the HTM3S, but decided to keep two separate systems for the following reasons:

- I really liked my 705s & HTM7 HT setup (no complaints at all);
                                                                                    - I know once I started down that route, I will want to trade in my other pair of 705s for 805S, simply to have a matching set (I am anal like that).....personally, I think 805S are too nice of speakers to just serve surround purpose;
                                                                                    - I am moving out of NYC in 3-4 months and would like to have separate HT and stereo setup for different rooms;
                                                                                    - 804S and HTM3S are not well matched, size wise. If I go with the HTM3S, I would most likely upgrade my 804S to 803S...hehe.

Cheers,
                                                                                    Tony :B
                                                                                    Tony

Comment

• Movieman
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2005
                                                                                      • 13

My Haven

:T Hi every one
                                                                                      I'm new to this forum, and I must start by saying I am very envious of many of the system on this thread, you guys have done some great set-ups.

I thought you might like to pass comment on my system; it's been built in the back 2/3rd's of my garage . It measures approx 15 feet long by 11 feet wide, with a homemade screen (97inches diagonal).
                                                                                      Because I was on a budget, I did all the building work and electrics my self, which allowed me to spend more on the kit, which consist of:

Lexicon RV8 (Receiver/Amp)
                                                                                      Denon 2910 (DVD)
                                                                                      Panasonic PT AE700 (Projector)
                                                                                      B & W Nautilus 804 (Main's)
                                                                                      B & W Nautilus HTM 2 (Centre)
                                                                                      B & W DS6 Dipoles (Side's)
                                                                                      B & W CDM1 (Rear's)
                                                                                      Rel Strata 5 (Sub)
                                                                                      Rega Planet (CD player)
                                                                                      Sky+
                                                                                      XBox

It looks and sound pretty good, and 804's are sooooooooooooooo good, I never get tired of listening to them.
                                                                                      Any how that's mine please view and enjoy as I do.

Cheers
                                                                                      Movieman
                                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

• tboooe
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2005
                                                                                        • 657

VERY nice! I love the Mr. Smith and Alien items! I am expecting my 804S soon (upgrade from 805) so I am very excited! What are your thoughts on the Lexicon?

Comment

• Movieman
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2005
                                                                                          • 13

Thanks tboooe

The lexicon is fantastic, very detailed, smooth and warm sounding on cd play back.
                                                                                          With movies it sounds at first most probably like most other top end (£2000 +) amps. It's only when you listen to it over a period of time that you start to hear the differences between this and other amps and when you pick up on the subtleties that it brings out of a sound track, the accuracy of the sound track, the detail, steering of the sound (front to back, side to side). I suppose that’s what you pay for small differences.

Cheers
                                                                                          Movieman

Comment

• Pez
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • May 2004
                                                                                            • 472

Hey movieman - nice setup. I have a question about your DS6's. I am condiering the DS6's to go with my 804S's and HTM3S as the DS8's would go way over budget. How do feel they intergrate with the rest of your setup?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"