This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottielee
    • Apr 2005

thanks misterdoggy and audioqueso my tv stand is a bell'o wavs-12. the dd-12 and its eq system are superb. cello, bass strings, and piano music sounds complete, natural, and full of presence. the sub keeps up with my monitors beautifully. the performance of just one dd-12 is so impressive, i doubt adding another one would be that much better for the cost.

cabinet finish of the sub is decent, but nothing close to the signature 805 :huh:

Comment

• Armbender
      • Jul 2005

I am in the process of ugrading my system but so far this is what it consists of;

ROTEL RDV-1060
      ROTEL RCC-1055
      ROTEL RSX-1056
      MOTEROLLA HD BOX
      MONSTER HTS-2500
      BRYSTON POWER PACK 300-SST
      BRYSTON 4B-SST
      B&W 604 S3'S
      B&W LCR 600 S3'S
      B&W DM 602 S3'S
      EARTHQUAKE MK IV 12
      SAMSUNG HLP5685W
      AUDIOQUEST CABLES

PICS WILL FOLLOW SOON

Dying to upgrade to 802's and Bryston 7B's
      Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

I got a nice piece of furniture to complement my system. I wanted it to be classy enough with the McIntosh MA6500, and contemporary enough for the B&W 703's. It also hides the TV while I listen to music, another good thing

So finally, here is a photo of my stereo...
        Attached Files

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

That's gorgeous jim777! Looks very nice. One thing though. Does the furniture being right in between the two speakers interfere with the imaging? I found with my 805s that having as much open space as possible in between my left and right channel helps create a very clear and vivid image of the soundfield.

Wow.. that's a really beautiful setup though.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• jim777
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
            Does the furniture being right in between the two speakers interfere with the imaging? I found with my 805s that having as much open space as possible in between my left and right channel helps create a very clear and vivid image of the soundfield.
            There has never been "nothing" between the two speakers to compare with, but I found once that pulling them forward even as little as 2 inches helps alot. Also, I don't know if it has something to do with the furniture, but the "sweet spot" is relatively small (I must be almost dead-center and it helps to be sitting closer than back on the couch).

That being said, even with the furniture in between, Dave Holland is sounding great right now

And thanks for the kind comment audioqueso, I think my setup is WAF-compatible :T

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by jim777
              I think my setup is WAF-compatible :T
              lol Definitely! :T

Comment

• isis
                • Jun 2005

hi every body just wanted to share. my first speakers were a pair of B&W solids , back in 93 and i still use them at my girfreinds house. my current wish would be for a pair of 803D'S , LOVE the sound stageing.
                Attached Files

Comment

• tboooe
                  • Jun 2005

isis, kind of off topic but what do think of your samsung dlp? I am trying to decide between the Samsun and Mitsubishi.

Comment

• isis
                    • Jun 2005

the DLP is great if you calibrate the tv wich took over a year because i could only find one guy at the time when i bought it. this was not mentioned to me by the dealer as soon as i got home i relized my colours were way to yellow and way to green, $600 dollars and a year later it cant be beat for a tv in its class. im in th middlel of selling it for a pioneer 50 inch plasma. loose some picture quality and gain some space!

Comment

• isis
                      • Jun 2005

sorry i just relized mitsubishi doesnt distribute tv's in canada, so im not famillar with their product line . i would consider JVC HDILA or panosonic plus infocus has just released a new on wall dlp .

Comment

• js24
                        • Feb 2005

tboooe,
                        in case you didn't know
                        samsung just began (or will in a month) to ship their new generation DLP TVs- 1080P!!!
                        IMO, samsung makes the best DLP TVs

Comment

• tboooe
                          • Jun 2005

js24, i have heard the same thing about samsungs...i am looking into those as well. the one thing that worries me is that my local dealer said that samsungs break down a lot. he does not even sell mitsubishi or samsungs so i tend to believe him..any thoughts on samsung reliability?

any idea how much the new 1080p will cost? that probably means i can get a good deal on the older 720p models...could be worth it.

Comment

• js24
                            • Feb 2005

my good old 4 year old 21 inch CRT and 5year old 50 inch (old projection not even an HD...shame...) still work great...never had one single problem.. my dad's 10 year old CRT just broke down for the first time... forget the extended warranty...

check out vanns.com or tvauthority.com etc...
                            i think 61 inch was like $4K?

Comment

• DonH17
                              • May 2005

New 1080p displays

Originally posted by js24
                              tboooe,
                              in case you didn't know
                              samsung just began (or will in a month) to ship their new generation DLP TVs- 1080P!!!
                              IMO, samsung makes the best DLP TVs
                              I know this is a bit off subject, but this entire first generation of 1080p DLPs do not have 1080p inputs. They only internally upscale the 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i sources. I'm sure the results will be great, BUT you won't be set for when the new hidef DVD format hits the market.

Comment

• tboooe
                                • Jun 2005

donh17:

this is a bit of a concern for me. so you dont think that this first gen of 1080 will retrofitable somehow so that they can accept 1080p inputs? I am no expert but I hear it has something to do with the type of cable input? Do you know when the new hig def dvd format will come out? when it does come out will we have to purchase new dvd players as well?

maybe I should wait?

Comment

• DonH17
                                  • May 2005

Is it now or never...?

Originally posted by tboooe
                                  maybe I should wait?
                                  I guess that depends on how bad your present set is. From what I have read, the only first generation 1080p60 device that I KNOW can be retrofitted to accept the 1080p input (at this time) is the Sony Quallia 004 projector. And I think they want something like $3000 for that.

I usually have a "run out and by it now, because there will ALWAYS be upgrades!" philosophy, but in this case if you can wait until next year at this time, the picture on new media will be clearer (pun intended) and the second generation will have 1080p inputs to plug those new players into. Who knows the DLP prices may be cheaper by then as well.

Comment

• JCL
                                    • Apr 2005

Still, another questions raises in my mind when reading this. I life in the Netherlands and we don't have any HDTV, ok it will come here asswell, I think in the next 5 years but whith limited bandwith avelible, I think there will be no space for 1080p on broadcasts so is the extra cost and the waiting still furth is?

Comment

• bigburner
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

My party room

I'm currently running two stereo pairs and a sub for music - CDM9NT's at the front, DM610i's at the back and an ASW750. I call this 4.1 which probably isn't strictly correct but I can't think of a better abbreviated description. The DM610i's are my old speakers and have been brought out of storage to be trialled. I really like the 4 speaker configuration but I think the DM610's will need to be replaced at some stage, perhaps with a pair of 705's or 805S's. They have a warm sound but lack detail.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

Burner, your room sure has a lot of character. I like it very much. Say, have you ever thought about pullin your speakers forward and into the room a bit at the front? Maybe you do for serious listening sessions? I Believe they would open up with better imaging if you could do that.

Doug
                                        Doug
                                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• PewterTA
                                          • Nov 2004

:agree:

Hit the nail right on the head, those speakers are way to close to their surroundings....
                                          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                          -Dan

Comment

• DonH17
                                            • May 2005

JCL,

If your intention is to watch the current DVD format or HD broadcast you wouldn't need a 1080p input. If you plan on stepping up to the new HD-DVD (or what-ever they will call it, and it is still a probably. year away,) you would need a 1080p input.

Bigburner,

I would suggest you start out with a used pair of CDM-1NT or another set of CDM-9NT. I had a situation similar to yours (in a smaller room though), where I had mixed B&W product lines, (a pair of 804 in the front and CDM-7SE in the back). While it was nice, the different sonic signatures really bothered me on music (it was less of a problem with movies - but I don't see a TV in your party room). I haven't heard CDM-NTs and 700 series together, but if you mix 800 series with the CDM-NT series, be prepared to upgrade all-around eventually :lol:

Comment

• bigburner
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2005

Lex and PewterTA, I have tried pulling the CDM9NT's forward, up to about 18 inches, but I haven't noticed a difference. I have assumed that this is due to the large length of thick curtain material directly behind each speaker.

DonH17, that's very interesting advice, thank you. Whether or not I can pick up a pair of secondhand CDM9NT's in New Zealand is another matter. I do have a TV in my party room. You can just see it in the attached picture. I can wheel it out a few yards and position it. I don't watch TV in that room but occasionally I do watch a music DVD. The upgrade plan is to mount a projector on the ceiling and put the screen out-of-sight behind the curtain valance in between the CDM9NT's.

Forgive the intrusion of a finger in the photos. I'm not a photographer.
                                              Attached Files

Comment

• Seeme
                                                • Dec 2004

Thought I would post some old pitcures that I found of my systems back in 2002.

I had the 804's + HTM1 + CDM SNT + Krell TAS amp + Theta Casanova and the B&K Reference 2200 for the rears and another for the HSU TN-1220 sub.
                                                Attached Files

Comment

• Seeme
                                                  • Dec 2004

One more
                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• caleb
                                                    • Aug 2004

The upgrade plan is to mount a projector on the ceiling and put the screen out-of-sight behind the curtain valance in between the CDM9NT's.

That's exactly what I have done - works a treat and has great W.A.F! ! !

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                                      • May 2004

very nice seeme, what did you upgrade to?

Comment

• Seeme
                                                        • Dec 2004

Thanks BlazeMaster

I upgraded to the following:

Replaced the Krell TAS with the --- Classe CA-3200
                                                        Replaced the Theta with the --- Meridian 568.2 MM
                                                        Replaced the 804's with the --- Dali MS5
                                                        Replaced the HSU with the --- Genelec HTS Sub "One heck of a sub" http://www.ultimateavmag.com/feature...ay/index4.html

I wanted to upgrade to the B&W 802D but I made the mistake of listening to the B&W 800 sig's my dealer had on hand. I feel in love with the 800's and I wanted that sound but I could not afford $20,000. :E

I found the Dail's and they have 95% of the 800's sound but I still love the B&W's and I will always be a fan. :T

Comment

• csuzor
                                                          • Nov 2004

I have upgraded a little recently. Multi-channel music is the priority, and this setup transports me to the recording scene. Highly enjoyable. Priority is now on upgrading the sacd source, also perhaps getting a sub, and getting hundreds of SACDs (while they're still available!).

Click image for larger version

Name:	salon26jul2005panoramas7oa.th.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	948707

Name:	salon26jul2005s9tg.th.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	948708

Name:	hififrontal26jul2005s7ld.th.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	948709
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 01 September 2023, 16:58 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• jim777
                                                            • Mar 2005

csuzor, that setup is very cool
                                                            Does it sound better without the coffee table?
                                                            Does the 704's and 703's blend well together?
                                                            What did you put under the 704's? You wanted all the tweeters at the same height I guess...
                                                            Again, very nice!

Comment

• csuzor
                                                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by jim777
                                                              csuzor, that setup is very cool
                                                              Does it sound better without the coffee table?
                                                              Does the 704's and 703's blend well together?
                                                              What did you put under the 704's? You wanted all the tweeters at the same height I guess...
                                                              Again, very nice!
                                                              jim777, hhanks.
                                                              I tried with and without the coffee table, the difference can hardly be heard even with sacd with vocals on center only. Maybe if I had carpet underneath it would make a difference...

I tried blending a HTM7 and 704, and compared to blending 704 and 703, on the front stage... the 704 and 703 blended very well, the HTM7 was hopeless. I sold it and bought the 3rd 703. There is so little music that truely uses the surrounds like the fronts, so any minor mismatch is unnoticed. Exceptions are LAGQ and some Songlines Jazz SACD, but even then no worries. If I were to do it again, I would get 5x 703, but 6months ago the 704 seemed like a major investment already. Now, there is no reason to change.

I raised the 704 before getting the 703, for better bass, and now it matches the 703 tweeter height nicely. I made the feet in wood, and they also angle the 704 slightly back. I put the silicone feet on the front of the 703, and teflon pads on the back, so they also have the same angle backwards. From the listening position, this inclination helps match the driver distances perfectly!

Christophe

Comment

• slymcgriddle
                                                                • Jul 2005

The Screen Is A Liitle High, I Have To Adjust It.... Not The Easiest Thing To Do On Your Own.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Aug 2003

Update of my Pics, part I.
                                                                  Attached Files
                                                                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2003

Part II, plus my other love...

Name:	P1010401.JPG
Views:	12815
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	842500

Name:	P1010402.JPG
Views:	12643
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	842501

Name:	Stereo.JPG
Views:	12626
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	842502

Name:	Guitars.JPG
Views:	12475
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	842503
                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 19:30 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2005

New Arrivals HTM2D AND 802D'S UPDATE

Name:	StereoLeft.jpg
Views:	15873
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	842511 Click image for larger version

Name:	StereoRight2.jpg
Views:	12927
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	842512 Click image for larger version

Name:	HTBackLast.jpg
Views:	12173
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	842565 Click image for larger version

Name:	HTAFront.jpg
Views:	11728
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	842566
                                                                      Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 19:31 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• aphexist
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2004

Mr. Doggy,

How is the new room layout working for you? Have you reached nirvana with the new speakers?

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2005
                                                                          • 1418

I am in the Tantric position which is in front of the system triangulating equal distance between separation of the two speakers and my sofa in my minds eye.

It must be Nirvana !!

Comment

• Pieter
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2005
                                                                            • 219

Bruce, those speakers look stunning. Hope they bring you endless hours of enjoyment.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2005
                                                                              • 1418

Pieter

Thanks I am very pleased indeed.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2005
                                                                                • 2649

misterdoggy, they are beautiful.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2005
                                                                                  • 1418

Thanks Guys

They are like Battleships Flanking the Fleet !!

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2004
                                                                                    • 1930

Whoa... that's such a great looking setup Mr Doggy! Very nice!

Comment

• aphexist
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2004
                                                                                      • 158

I finally got around to taking some photos of my room. I wanted to do a makeshift panorama to give a sense of scale to the room (about 18' x 14').
                                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

• csuzor
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2004
                                                                                        • 413

Nice setup.
                                                                                        In a configuration like this, rather than have the 2 surrounds directly point in the ears, there are many who think it is better to point them towards the back wall, to diffuse the sound and avoid the directivity (especially if there are 2 persons sitting on the couch). Have you or anyone else tried this?

Comment

• caleb
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2004
                                                                                          • 514

Originally posted by aphexist
                                                                                          I finally got around to taking some photos of my room. I wanted to do a makeshift panorama to give a sense of scale to the room (about 18' x 14').
                                                                                          Very nice aphexist - that brick patterned screen must be the best I've seen in years. :rofl:

Comment

• aphexist
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jan 2004
                                                                                            • 158

Originally posted by csuzor
                                                                                            Nice setup.
                                                                                            In a configuration like this, rather than have the 2 surrounds directly point in the ears, there are many who think it is better to point them towards the back wall, to diffuse the sound and avoid the directivity (especially if there are 2 persons sitting on the couch). Have you or anyone else tried this?
                                                                                            Thanks for the tip. I will certainly try that setup tonight. The surrounds are fairly new, but I immediately felt uncomfortable with them being in such proximity to the listening position(s). With calibration, the rear soundfield sounds cohesive with the front, but it is still "in your face" and can overpower the front with zoom/flyover effects.

This room was intended to be the living room of my new apartment, but it has ended up being a dedicated theater room, and my kitchen has turned out to be the "social room." It has a 14' ceiling (poor for acoustics) and three 10' windows (horrible for front projection during the day). Damn this charming New Orleans architecture!
                                                                                            Last edited by aphexist; 08 August 2005, 11:54 Monday.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"