X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fredBelgium
    • Jun 2007

Hello to you,

Here is our new listening room on the basis of Bowers & Wilkins 801D, DCS Puccini, Classé Audio CP-700 and 2 CA-2200, projector Marantz VP11h1L, Pioneer 70A (BR), Toshiba XE1 (HD). Full Analysis and Finite Elemente Pagode Signature...

Bye ! :T

Comment

• ShadowZA
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Davidmag
      Dedicated room located in basement, approx 16 by 22. B&W 803D`s, HTM2D,(4) DS3`s. JL 113 fathom, Krell Showcase, classe power amp , PS3, Infocus 7210 projector, Comcast HDTV .
      Welcome to the club, Davidmag.

Awesome setup you have there. Cosy too. :T

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Fred, great room! Is that last picture from a movie, or is that you in front of the screen? That looks cool.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• fredBelgium
          • Jun 2007

:lol: :lol: :lol: I am facing my configuration!

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Really?! That's really cool! Kinda looks like you're wearing BDU pants and short sleeves brown tops (military clothing) with the sleeves rolled up.

Comment

• fredBelgium
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by audioqueso
              Really?!
              No, no, this was only the Belgian humour! :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Haven`t yet posted on this forum, but I would like to show my system setup to all fellow enthusiast`s. Dedicated room located in basement, approx 16 by 22. B&W 803D`s, HTM2D,(4) DS3`s. JL 113 fathom, Krell Showcase, classe power amp , PS3, Infocus 7210 projector, Comcast HDTV .
                Great room David. :T

Curious, why a drop down screen instead of fixed?
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Briz vegas
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Judging but the construction photos he has a glass door on the right hand side behind the speakers. Raising the screen would provide access.
                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                  Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Davidmag
                    • Jan 2008

Rebel, I listen to alot of music so I designed the front part of this room to include a drop down screen, instead of having to be constantly viewing a blank fixed wall screen. Also, keeps full flexibility for a front wall flat screen TV if I want. Didn`t want to get into the whole drapery game as I prefer more of a multimedia room set-up and feel rather than a full "theater" treatment. Great question, thanks. This setup is my first with B&W`s as I transitioned from a full planar Magnepan system, I couldn`t be more pleased.
                    Last edited by Davidmag; 25 April 2008, 15:06 Friday. Reason: Delete

Comment

• Davidmag
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by RebelMan
                      Great room David. :T

Curious, why a drop down screen instead of fixed?

Rebel, I listen to alot of music so I designed the front part of this room to include a drop down screen, instead of having to be constantly viewing a blank fixed wall screen. Also, keeps full flexibility for a front wall flat screen TV if I want. Didn`t want to get into the whole drapery game as I prefer more of a multimedia room set-up and feel rather than a full "theater" treatment. Great question, thanks. This setup is my first with B&W`s as I transitioned from a full planar Magnepan system, I couldn`t be more pleased.

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

I see your point as I am facing a similar decision. I am leaning towards a fixed screen and using Screen Art. Did you consider this option in your pursuit? If so how did the prices compare between a fixed screen with art and a drop down?

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                          I am leaning towards a fixed screen and using Screen Art. Did you consider this option in your pursuit? If so how did the prices compare between a fixed screen with art and a drop down?
                          I wish I could do this they look really nice. Pricing wise similar to Stewart Film Screen Electriscreen $4,750 and up
                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by fredBelgium
                            :lol: :lol: :lol: I am facing my configuration!

With reason, pretty, excellent, wonderful setup :T
                            "Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• Mark_NZ
                              • Apr 2007

Hifi system from New Zealand

Hi,

After enjoying the pictures of the various systems on this forum, I have finally got around to taking photos of my latest hifi setup.

Here are the components with a brief comment on strengths and weaknesses:

Marantz SA14v2 CD/SACD player: Strengths musically satisfying, rich tonal colour with weighty bass; Weakness SACD not a big improvement on CD as I have heard elsewhere, a smidgeon of grain in mids and treble
                              Sony XA555ES modified CD player: Strengths super reliable (hasn't skipped in 5 years), detailed, good pace & rhythm; Weakness tonally a bit thin
                              Jeff Rowland Synergy IIi Preamp: Strengths love the diamond-cut finish, transparent, quiet, display readable across room; Weakness nothing major, perhaps a bit on the light side of neutral
                              Marantz SM17SA amplifiers: Strengths cute temperature meters, warm, musical, drives 803D surprising well given modest 60 watts, super value; Weakness bass a bit loose, not as transparent as newer Marantz models
                              B&W 803D loudspeakers: Strengths deep, full bass, good integration of drivers, love the smoothness of the diamond tweeter; sounds well-balanced at low volume and very impressive at full-steam; Weakness slight dip of energy in presence zone sometimes results in slight chestiness on male vocals

I am really enjoying my latest system iteration - the system sounds pretty good at all volumes and different music genres.

Regards
                              Mark

Tweaks: Power conditioner, bass traps in corners, good cables, various cones & squishy bits under components. But the most significant tweak is a custom plinth I built for the loudspeakers. :T This results in better sound staging and detail due to the inherent stability of the 3 spikes versus the standard, incredibly fiddly 4 spike design.

Attached Files

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Very nice, interesting feet under the 803D the spikes didn't work for you!!
                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• htsteve
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

HT Room

All,

I recently completed our new HT room in the basement. Attached are pictures (the flash on the camera makes it look brigher than it really is. The walls are dark navy blue). Below are the details.

Speakers: 802D's, HTM2D and N 804's
                                  Electronics: McIntosh MX120 Pre-Amp and MC205 5 channel Amp
                                  Sub: Velodyne DD-18 (an awesome sub)
                                  Projector: Runco RS900
                                  Screen: 100" Stewart Firehawk G3
                                  Blu Ray: Denon 3800
                                  CD: Rotel 1072
                                  Turntable: Music Hall MMF 2.1
                                  Directv HR21 HD DVR
                                  Rotel Tuner
                                  XBOX 360
                                  Salamander S20 AV furniture

After the long process of design and build, it's all paid off. The picture and sound are awesome. Still having lots of fun testing it out and pushig it's limits.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by htsteve; 07 May 2008, 17:37 Wednesday.

Comment

• James63
                                    • Dec 2006

htsteve:

The new room looks good. What are the room dimensions?

I am having my basement water-proofed in the next month, so I can make a theater. But my room will only be 12 feet wide (12X20). Also how do your 802Ds sound that close to the side walls (any bass problems)?

Comment

• htsteve
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by James63
                                      htsteve:

The new room looks good. What are the room dimensions?

I am having my basement water-proofed in the next month, so I can make a theater. But my room will only be 12 feet wide (12X20). Also how do your 802Ds sound that close to the side walls (any bass problems)?
                                      James63,

Room dimensions are 11' wide by 16' long with ceilings a bit over 7 feet tall. The 802D's sound spectacular. Their position is quite a bit improved over where I had them in my family room. They were much more in a corner there (nothing I could do about that).

So far bass is quite excellent. I think the Velodyne with it's in room correction does help in that regard. Even playing the 802D's in pure 2 channel, they sound excellent. I did put quite a bit into the acoustic aspect when constructing the room. I do have a thread in the Spaced Out area that shows what I did.

BTW, when I was researching room dimensions, I was advised to follow the odd-even rule. One dimention needs to be even # of feet while the other would be odd. For example, 12X19 or 12X21 versus 12X20, etc. On this forum (in the Spaced out area I believe) are some 'golden ratios'. I was able to get pretty close to one of them. I have to say that the results of the room are even better than I hoped for. So I will say that these rules and ratios do work.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• James63
                                        • Dec 2006

htsteve:

Ok thanks, I will read your thread. I am looking at buying the 802Ds for the my new room. Out of the speakers I listened to so fare I like them the best. I still need to make a trip to here Wilson Audio Sophia's before I buy.

I was....am worried about the close placement to the side walls in my room with the 802Ds.

Comment

• hoop
                                          • May 2008

hi heres my new 684 floorstanding speakers (lov hum!)

i must say theses babys sound better then my Cerwin Vega 12 inch which u also c in my pic.

i just dont understand how these little speakers sound better then my big 12inch but hey thats kewl!

Comment

• joetama
                                            • May 2006

They aren't designed to be a frat house special.

That is why they sound better.

Nice road case there.
                                            -Joe

Comment

• wettou
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • May 2006

Originally posted by will1066
                                              Thanks, Geoff. Nice stuff, you guys. Bryan, we have the same front trio. Everyone, I would like to suggest that if you can, move your speakers away from the walls.
                                              Yes three feet into the room away from the back wall will give you a tremendous improvement in sound, experiment and you will see. Make sure you are not at the same distance from the side walls.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                • Sep 2007

Here's my bootleg setup, lol. Its B&W (805Sx2)still looking for good stands, B&W HTM4, 52" Sony Bravia XBR4, hd8300 explorer hddvr,yamaha v861 receiver,rotel RA-985BX power amp (wants desperately a Mcintosh MC352), (not seen in the photo)xbox 360 (hacked to play burnt dual layer discs and use it to stream wmv files), a ps3. The little thingy at the left side of the bravia is a popcorn hour + an 250GB external hdd from owc.

Also not shown in the photo is the home theatre chair I got from an out of business compusa for $200 pretty much brand new with the little cup holder and just behind it I have some Digital Audio SL-3810 floor stands.. I got these speakers for free from my friend who moved and he told me that he got both floor stands for $100 from a white van that was selling them around in San Antonio in TX..

Now I've read that these are fake.. but for fake speakers.. they sound awesome with 2 subs built into each stands and they are powerful as hell.. at times they over power my 805s and htm4!! Anyways I just use them as the back speakers for my 5.1..

Now.. only need the Mcintosh MC352 and new furniture! :T

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2004

jjahshik32, great speakers and tv! Check out www.racksandstands.com for some really nice furniture to compliment your AV toys.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                                    jjahshik32, great speakers and tv! Check out www.racksandstands.com for some really nice furniture to compliment your AV toys.
                                                    Thanks for the website, I've already found 4-5 stands that caught my eye! I'll probably order one within the week.

I love that picture of the 805 as a head! :T

Comment

• Marco Lisi
                                                      • May 2008

Hello you'all

I've finally reached my "nec plus ultra" point: a 7.2 system with the B&W800D as main speakers...enjoy!

They are "warming up" for just over a week now!

:T
                                                      Attached Files
                                                      Last edited by Marco Lisi; 12 May 2008, 18:30 Monday.
                                                      Diamond Room
                                                      Acoustical treated room with reference 7.3 av system

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by bryan w
                                                        my loft conversion
                                                        Cool, you should go the front projection wide screen you seem to have room for it I wish I had a loft like this.

European style houses are so much better that typical Californian types

Comment

• wettou
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Marco Lisi
                                                          Hello you'all I've finally reached my "nec plus ultra" point: a 7.2 system with the B&W800D as main speakers...enjoy! They are "warming up" for just over a week now!
                                                          Cool, pictures please?

what equipment do you have to drive them, I decided getting three 802D instead of two 800Ds. I listen to multichannel music and love movies. I never listen to stereo anymore to selfish.

Comment

• Marco Lisi
                                                            • May 2008

Originally posted by wettou
                                                            Cool, you should go the front projection wide screen you seem to have room for it I wish I had a loft like this.

European style houses are so much better that typical Californian types
                                                            Hello wettou

This is my 7m x 4.5m livingroom. Main speakers are almost 2.5m apart.
                                                            I already use front projection (2.4m wide), screen fits nicely between the speakers .

Originally posted by wettou
                                                            Cool, pictures please?

what equipment do you have to drive them, I decided getting three 802D instead of two 800Ds. I listen to multichannel music and love movies. I never listen to stereo anymore to selfish.
                                                            Pic is back online. I'll take some more... I've just spent a fortune on 800D, HTM1D, DS8, SCMS, 2 x ASW855. I'm planning on using a Halcro Logic SSP-200 processor and Pass Labs poweramps.
                                                            Why didn't you choose for a HTM1D in the "middle", it's a vertical 802D? How do you power those beautiful 802D's?

Diamond Room

Comment

• artv4
                                                              • Jun 2007

here is my system so far..... finally bought some b&w speakers!!!

Rotel RSX-1056
                                                              Rotel RB-991
                                                              OPPO DV-983H
                                                              Monster Reference PowerCenter HTS 3500 MKII
                                                              B&W DM603 S3
                                                              B&W LCR600 S3
                                                              NHT SuperZero Surround Back
                                                              Velodyne HGS-12 on auralex gramma
                                                              Sony KDL-40S2010
                                                              Xbox 360 & Sony PS3
                                                              Straight wire wires and interconnects
                                                              Attached Files
                                                              Last edited by artv4; 16 May 2008, 13:33 Friday.
                                                              GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                                • Sep 2007

Hello you'all

I've finally reached my "nec plus ultra" point: a 7.2 system with the B&W800D as main speakers...enjoy!

They are "warming up" for just over a week now!

I love that pic... swweeeett.. droolllls :T

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Stoney
                                                                  Hello people, this is my first post (you'll probably be able to tell). Just joined the forum today, couldn't resist the challenge to post pictures of my set up. I know it's not top line, but I sure enjoy it.
                                                                  Denon AVR-3801 Receiver, DM605 S2 Mains, DM602 S2 Surrounds, DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds, CC6 S2 Center.
                                                                  Looks like my first set up very nice, once you get the upgrade bug it won't go away trust me this is my third upgrade in12 years, I love every minute of it may be one more and then my ears won't be able to make the difference.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by jjahshik32
                                                                    I love that pic... swweeeett.. droolllls :T
                                                                    Very very nice, the reason I decided three 802D rather than HTM1D is that I wanted all tweeter at the same level and identical speaker in the front.

The sounds stage in movies and multichannel is much better at least in my room. Ideally three 800D would have been great but the price tag with the amps would have been $30K more than I was willing to spend even with 20% discount.

I power the 802D with Classé CA-5200 I might add an other one later but for now it works well especially since the cross over is at 80HZ and I route all the bass to JL Audio Sub Fathom F113 which has 2500W of power.

I have a 3.3 m screen the 802D are about 3 m apart from each other

Comment

• fredBelgium
                                                                      • Jun 2007

Good morning,

After the image ... two video ...

bye

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2007

I thought the sound of the tambourine was real!! :E

Nice theatre! :T What projector are you use?

Comment

• wettou
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                          • 3389

Originally posted by Mark-n-b
                                                                          Pre and power amp installed. Not ideal 802D position at the moment but sounds great. Now i need the stand i am having made, 2 more 802Ds and an HTM1D!
                                                                          Tell us about your Denon AVP1 how do you like it? I have been waiting for Classé SSP-800 to come out but am getting tired of waiting in addition I learned that it won't have the new codec at launch!!!

Comment

• wettou
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 3389

Very nice looking I like the clean look the white might be an issue for watching movies.

Comment

• fredBelgium
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Jun 2007
                                                                              • 76

Originally posted by jjahshik32
                                                                              I thought the sound of the tambourine was real!! :E

Nice theatre! :T What projector are you use?
                                                                              Hello,

Marantz VP11h1L.

Bye

Comment

• Marco Lisi
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • May 2008
                                                                                • 84

Hi Fred

Nice to meet somebody else from Belgium

I've listened to the Pass XA100.5 on the 800D yesterday and was disappointed. Low frequencies were slow, plumpy and lacked punch. Mid/high was to smooth. I noticed an overall lack of power witch large ochestral works on higher levels. No match in my opinion.

I also listened to a simular Classé setup like yours. The 800D came very much alive. A very fine amp the 2200. At the end I like the timbre of the PASS amps better, I find the Classé to neutral.

Have you ever had the chance to listen to PASS poweramps on any 800 series of B&W? The X350.5 for example is a perfect match on the 802D.

Next wednesday I'll explore the X600.5 mono amps on the 800D.

Then the final question for me will be: X600.5 of 2 times X350.5 (vertical bi-amp system). I suspect that the X600.5 will "handle" the powerhungry 800D very well. It deliveres 1.200Watts/4ohm!!!

Diamond Room

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 3389

Hi Fred, Nice to meet somebody else from Belgium
                                                                                  I've listened to the Pass XA100.5 on the 800D yesterday and was disappointed. Low frequencies were slow, plumpy and lacked punch. Mid/high was to smooth. I noticed an overall lack of power witch large orchestral works on higher levels. No match in my opinion. I also listened to a similar Classé setup like yours. The 800D came very much alive. A very fine amp the 2200. At the end I like the timbre of the PASS amps better, I find the Classé to neutral. Have you ever had the chance to listen to PASS power-amps on any 800 series of B&W? The X350.5 for example is a perfect match on the 802D. Next wednesday I'll explore the X600.5 mono amps on the 800D. Then the final question for me will be: X600.5 of 2 times X350.5 (vertical bi-amp system). I suspect that the X600.5 will "handle" the power-hungry 800D very well. It delivers 1.200Watts/4ohm!!:T
                                                                                  Try Electrocompaniet Nemo 600 it blows every thing away even the Classé CAM400

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2007
                                                                                    • 52

My current configuration

Yaqin MC-100B
                                                                                    B&W 703
                                                                                    RCD-1072
                                                                                    DV-980H
                                                                                    Supra PLY3.4
                                                                                    AratacaHM
                                                                                    Airon
                                                                                    Sony Bravia 32'
                                                                                    Auto-Transformador "By Knirsch"

"Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• scanido
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Apr 2006
                                                                                      • 548

My Temporary system...

Fronts: B&W SCMS
                                                                                      SUB: JL AUDIO F113
                                                                                      Processor: Rotel RSX-1057
                                                                                      AMP: McIntosh MC205
                                                                                      Plasma: Pioneer PDP-5060

The SCMS speakers have gone over my expectation. They're amazing wall-mount speakers and i would highly recommend them for front speakers. :T
                                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

• btf1980
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2007
                                                                                        • 704

Scanido, that's quite the eclectic system there. Never seen the SCMS used as fronts. Will you eventually move them to the rear and replace them with floorstanders?

Love the MC205 on the box. Nice touch...hehe. :T
                                                                                        A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• scanido
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Apr 2006
                                                                                          • 548

Originally posted by btf1980
                                                                                          Scanido, that's quite the eclectic system there. Never seen the SCMS used as fronts. Will you eventually move them to the rear and replace them with floorstanders?

Love the MC205 on the box. Nice touch...hehe. :T
                                                                                          That is the plan. I'll move these to the rears then have my 803S and HTM3S for the fronts. Until then, I'm quite surprised by the performance of these speakers. :E

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                                            • 3139

Originally posted by scanido
                                                                                            That is the plan. I'll move these to the rears then have my 803S and HTM3S for the fronts. Until then, I'm quite surprised by the performance of these speakers. :E
                                                                                            Why so surprised??? :W I benched my SCMS (before I hung them) against my 803S and will attest that they could rival the 805S. I even considered using them as fronts for an HT room conversion I am planning for. I've since sold my 803S for the 800D but the SCMS remain. They are truly great two-ways and if I may say look AWESOME on those stands. :T

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"