X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jack d
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gostan
    5 x 501's must help the local electric company. :lol: And I am sure your superb sounding system!
    well maybe some day if I upgrade to the 800s for the front I can move the 802s to the rear and then the extra two 501s might make more sense....

Comment

• Relentless
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by jack d
      thinking about them, I'm sure you've thought about the ceiling too.

The guy who advised me said that you don't have to worry about reflections to the back. If you look at the pattern of most speakers there is very little "radiation" of sound to the rear except for LF and with reflections you worry about the higher frequencies.
      Yes the ceiling is my next project.

when you say the back I am assuming you mean the back of the speaker and not behind the listening position.

Thanks
      I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
      Lou

Comment

• jack d
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Relentless
        Yes the ceiling is my next project.

when you say the back I am assuming you mean the back of the speaker and not behind the listening position.

Thanks
        Yeah I was referring to behind the speakers, which means the plasma as well as the wall. The wall behind the listening position is definitely a source of first reflection smearing unless the lisetning position is very far from the wall.

Comment

• corysmith01
          • Feb 2005

Relentless, nice set up. :T And what's most nice about it, for me, so long as I'm not mistaken...isn't that Kerry King on the screen? That is, are you rockin' Slayer through those things? If so...AWESOME! ;x( That must be incredible.

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I assume that the reason you notice the difference in the mids and highs is because of the difference in the bass since the mid and tweeter are exactly the same as the 802. Well maybe the difference in the box around the speakers makes a difference too since it's larger.

We are all a bunch of co-dependents around here. We egg each other on in our addictions!
            It would seem that way at first glance but the 800D uses better crossover components for the mids and highs and the larger and more dense cabinet improves soundstaging and imaging by further reducing unwanted resonance. I shall continue my hypnotic quest to egg you on... "you need the 800D... you need the 800D..." :P
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

well maybe some day if I upgrade to the 800s for the front I can move the 802s to the rear and then the extra two 501s might make more sense....
              A pair of 800D deserves a couple of 501s. BTW, nice MacPac setup you have there. (Is my Jedi mind trick working yet??? LOL)

Comment

• jack d
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                A pair of 800D deserves a couple of 501s. BTW, nice MacPac setup you have there. (Is my Jedi mind trick working yet??? LOL)
                Hold on a minute. Have you actually purchased the HTM1D or are you just talking about it? That's clever. You're trying to get me to upgrade to the 800s but maybe you haven't upgraded to the HTM1D yet.

Comment

• jack d
                  • Sep 2006

It would seem that way at first glance but the 800D uses better crossover components for the mids and highs and the larger and more dense cabinet improves soundstaging and imaging by further reducing unwanted resonance. I shall continue my hypnotic quest to egg you on... "you need the 800D... you need the 800D..." :P
                  I know there has been a lot of discussion about the crossovers in the 800 and 802, but I wasn't sure that it had been established that those in the 800 are different/better.

Comment

• Relentless
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by corysmith01
                    Relentless, nice set up. :T And what's most nice about it, for me, so long as I'm not mistaken...isn't that Kerry King on the screen? That is, are you rockin' Slayer through those things? If so...AWESOME! ;x( That must be incredible.
                    Good eye, that is Kerry.
                    I was going to use the last scene on that disk for some pics when they are playing reign in blood and the whole stage is raining red.I have some Slayer,Slipknot,Soulfly(Max from Sepultura) dvds and enjoy stretching out the woofers on the 802Ds and the Maestro's and its awsome,loud and puts a big ass smile on my face but actually the acoustic sets from Incubus,Alice in Chains,Staind are better recorded and better to audition the speakers just not as much fun.
                    I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                    Lou

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Hold on a minute. Have you actually purchased the HTM1D or are you just talking about it? That's clever. You're trying to get me to upgrade to the 800s but maybe you haven't upgraded to the HTM1D yet.
                      :rofl: "The FORCE is strong with this one."

Actually, I am in the process of upgrading my plasma display. Once that is complete I will focus on the HTM1D and a few other things.

Comment

• Pedro
                        • Jan 2006

I was going to use the last scene on that disk for some pics when they are playing reign in blood and the whole stage is raining red.I have some Slayer,Slipknot,Soulfly(Max from Sepultura) dvds and enjoy stretching

Wow man, nice taste... I see you like heavy sound, and the 802 can deliver as i see. Well for me the Diamond series are the best for Rock and Metal from B&W

Congrats :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

I know there has been a lot of discussion about the crossovers in the 800 and 802, but I wasn't sure that it had been established that those in the 800 are different/better.
                          This was a topic than ran the full course but it was finally concluded (with visible proof) that the 800D employ's superior crossover components primarily effecting the more critical midrange.

Comment

• jack d
                            • Sep 2006

:rofl: "The FORCE is strong with this one."

Actually, I am in the process of upgrading my plasma display. Once that is complete I will focus on the HTM1D and a few other things.
                            Which plasma are you getting? Of course it should be the 103" Panasonic to go with those 800Ds. :twisted:

Comment

• jack d
                              • Sep 2006

This was a topic than ran the full course but it was finally concluded (with visible proof) that the 800D employ's superior crossover components primarily effecting the more critical midrange.
                              Well I guess it makes sense from the pricing point of view. They couldn't very well charge $4k more per speaker over the 802s without some significant improvements.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Which plasma are you getting? Of course it should be the 103" Panasonic to go with those 800Ds. :twisted:
                                Unfortunately, I don't have a spare $75K laying around nor have I got the room but yeah that would be nice. I am upgrading to Pioneer's 60" PDP-6010FD which is scheduled for release at the end of August. Since SED is for all intents and purposes dead, the KURO displays are the next best thing. Can't wait!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2007

I am upgrading to Pioneer's 60" PDP-6010FD which is scheduled for release at the end of August.
                                  The last word I receved from my Pioneer rep was September to October on the new 1920x1080 Pioneer and Pioneer Elite TV's. Just thought you'd like to know.

I know this is off topic, but why don't you get the PRO-150HD? Pioneer has put better performance into the Elite series the last couple of generations (that wasn't always the case). Since you're all about performance, I thought the Elite would be a natural.

Eric

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                    I know this is off topic, but why don't you get the PRO-150HD? Pioneer has put better performance into the Elite series the last couple of generations (that wasn't always the case). Since you're all about performance, I thought the Elite would be a natural.
                                    I guess you could say I am full of surprises. I have a few good reasons for avoiding the Elite series.

1. I don't like the separate media receiver. I would have opted for the Panny had the 7G Pure Vision displays not been redesigned with the built in receiver.

2. I don't like the side mounted speakers. I know what you are all thinking but remember I don't have a center at the moment and I prefer to use the built in speaker for casual watching.

3. The video processing boards between the two series (Pure vs. PRO) have more in common than not. The Elites possesses advanced ISF calibration features as well as a special "mode" but to my experience the slight improvements have not been worth the price premium on this basis alone.

If issues 1 and 2 were non-existent with the Elites then I would give them more consideration than I do. The Elites have a slight advantage over the non-Elites but, unfortunately, not in all of the specific ways that I need them.

Comment

• Ron526
                                      • Oct 2006

Where's the pictures?

I enjoy the conversations, but isn't this a "pictures" forum?

Comment

• jack d
                                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Ron526
                                        I enjoy the conversations, but isn't this a "pictures" forum?
                                        The pictures generate a lot of conversation. Chill, man. Isn't it fun?

Comment

• Ron526
                                          • Oct 2006

Hi Jack,
                                          Yes I really enjoy seeing other setups.
                                          I feel like a kid in the toy store, I come back often and see the same ones.
                                          I want to see more! I guess I should just chill (never liked that expression)
                                          and wait for more pix.

Here I am doing what I'm complaining about. Oh well.
                                          Where's Aldo?

Comment

• Aldo
                                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Ron526
                                            Hi Jack,
                                            Yes I really enjoy seeing other setups.
                                            I feel like a kid in the toy store, I come back often and see the same ones.
                                            I want to see more! I guess I should just chill (never liked that expression)
                                            and wait for more pix.

Here I am doing what I'm complaining about. Oh well.
                                            Where's Aldo?
                                            Here am I!

Just reading... fun!

We all love setup pictures!

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

I want to see a photo here of my system with a nice new amp and speaker cable.

.................I'm Waiting........................ :Z
                                              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                • Jul 2006

As promised

Here's the pics of my Rotel/XT system upgraded to 7.1! ;x( I don't know how to upload high res pics so the attachments is all I can post. Note there are some nice pics of my "rack" and that for everyone's enjoyment my XT's are "naked"! For pics of the PV1's visit my previous pics on page 26.
                                                Attached Files

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                                                  Here's the pics of my Rotel/XT system upgraded to 7.1! ;x( I don't know how to upload high res pics so the attachments is all I can post. Note there are some nice pics of my "rack" and that for everyone's enjoyment my XT's are "naked"! For pics of the PV1's visit my previous pics on page 26.

thats it...your pictures inspired me to go 7.1 in my sysem...and would even add a 2nd PV1 if I didnt live in a loft.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jan 2006

Elegant setup there, WI Rotel. :T :T :T

Comment

• RH Customs
                                                      • May 2006

Excellent setup. Also are there any more owners of the new 600 series?
                                                      "Yes, but these go up to aleven" Spinal Tap

RH
                                                      :-y

Comment

• rickc
                                                        • Sep 2006

Eliav

I see that you have two classe monoblocks

Did you compare the CA2200 or CA5200 to these units?

I currently have a 5200 and I love it

But I believe that the 802's would benefit with more power on two channel!

I have a SSP600 and CDP 300 today as well.

I am currently looking at two options

#1 add a CA- 2200 and biamp the 802's with my CA5200

#2 Add Cam 400's with my 5200 for the center and rears

DO YOU THINK THAT THE CAMS WILL SOUND 7K BETTER THEN the BI-AMPED 5200 and 2200?
                                                        Last edited by rickc; 26 August 2007, 17:48 Sunday.

Comment

• rickc
                                                          • Sep 2006

Is there a huge difference between the Classe CA- 400 versus the 5200 driving your B&W's 800?

Comment

• quan325i
                                                            • Apr 2005

Updated: I think I'm done

B&W Nautilus 801
                                                            B&W Nautilus HTM1
                                                            B&W Nautilus SCM1
                                                            DIY Interconnect using Belden and Jon Risch's recipe
                                                            Monster HTS - 3500
                                                            California Audio Labs CL-2500 DVP
                                                            California Audio Labs CL-2500 SSP
                                                            California Audio Labs CI-2500 MCA
                                                            California Audio Labs CL-2500 VP
                                                            Velodyne DD-12 Subwoofer
                                                            McIntosh MC-501
                                                            SONY DVP-9000ES Video
                                                            Sony SC-D777es CD Player
                                                            Kimber Kable Bi-Focal XL Speaker cable
                                                            Attached Files

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by quan325i
                                                              B&W Nautilus 801
                                                              B&W Nautilus HTM1
                                                              B&W Nautilus SCM1
                                                              Monster HTS - 3500
                                                              Velodyne DD-12 Subwoofer
                                                              McIntosh MC-501
                                                              SONY DVP-9000ES Video
                                                              Sony SC-D777es CD Player
                                                              Almost !!!! :B
                                                              1. Raise that rear row of seats on a riser so tall folks can still enjoy the front seats without annoying the guys in the back - yes I am tallish
                                                              2. Stand for that center channel
                                                              3. No room treatments ?????
                                                              4. You will need a few more seats for all you htguide mates to share the joy

Very nice gear - just don't get caught hugging your speakers - its hard to explain away :lol: :T :T :T
                                                              Last edited by Briz vegas; 01 September 2007, 19:32 Saturday. Reason: dot point one was garbled
                                                              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by quan325i
                                                                B&W Nautilus 801
                                                                B&W Nautilus HTM1
                                                                B&W Nautilus SCM1
                                                                Monster HTS - 3500
                                                                Velodyne DD-12 Subwoofer
                                                                McIntosh MC-501
                                                                SONY DVP-9000ES Video
                                                                Sony SC-D777es CD Player
                                                                Definitely done for gear. Very nice indeed.
                                                                Now what about some nice custom furniture to mount all that stuff on? I'm not a big fan of the all the stereo on the floor (stereo store style) look. Now that you have all your equipment I'm sure you could have someone design you a smashing wall unit to put it all in including a permanetly mounted projection screen :T

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                                                  thats it...your pictures inspired me to go 7.1 in my sysem...and would even add a 2nd PV1 if I didnt live in a loft.
                                                                  You can never have enough PV1's :W
                                                                  But, if if your venue is satisfactorily filled with one you're more than set. In my space 1 was not enough due to output limitations and overall uneven bass response in the room but with 2 I have to set my sub level down about 3 DB compared to the rest of the channels. The bass, fidelity, impact and power is amazing for video and audio. Another advantage of the PV1 that leads to its clean sound is its amazing transient response, given the drivers small size, stiffness and light weight they are more akin in their response to a midrange than to a big heavy cone. They do sound splendid indeed. ;x(

Comment

• number95
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2007

My setup with B&W Nautilus 800

Here is my system and photos.
                                                                    Enjoy :lol: :rofl:

My setup:
                                                                    Analog Source: Michell Engineering Orbe SE Turntable, Michell Engineering Tecnoarm, Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
                                                                    Phono Preamplification: Audio Research PH-7
                                                                    Digital Source: Audio Aero Prestige SACD Player
                                                                    Preamplification: Audio Research Reference-3
                                                                    Power amplification: Audio Research Reference 610T Monoblocks
                                                                    Speakers: B&W Nautilus 800
                                                                    Cables: Transparent Audio Reference XLR Interconnectors (between Main Preamp and Power Amps), Transparent Audio Reference RCA Interconnectors (between Phono Stage and Main Preamp), Transparent Audio Reference XLR Interconnectors (between Digital Source and Main Preamp), Transparent Audio Reference Bicable Speaker Cables
                                                                    Vibration Control: Finite Elemente Pagode E-80 Audio Rack, Acapella Fondato Silenzio Isolation Platforms (for Digital Source, Preamplifier and Power Amplifiers), Black Diamond Source Shelf (for Analog Source Power Supply), DIY Wood Supporters for Speaker Cables and Network
                                                                    Electricity: PS Audio Premium Power Plant (for all Source Equipments and Preamp), PS Audio Lab-II Power Cords (Digital Source, Main AC Socket for PS Audio Premium Power Plant), Pirelli Electricity Cables for Dedicated Line and Ground for Power Amplification, Lagrande AC sockets
                                                                    Room Acoustics: RPG Skyline Diffusers, DIY Bass Traps
                                                                    Other: Bedini Quadro Beam Ultra CD Clarifier
                                                                    Listening Room: 54 m2, Catedral Ceiling (acoustically treated)
                                                                    Attached Files

Comment

• jim777
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

number95, you can be proud of that system :T

Comment

• number95
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jim777
                                                                        number95, you can be proud of that system :T

Thank you for your kind words Jim

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                          • 1199

wow !

Comment

• jack667
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2007
                                                                            • 174

Well, originally planned to go for the 805s, and somehow here I am with a pair of 683s instead. I can't complain, it's all I could afford, and I was in love with the 685 sound, so this is just one step better!

Bass is deep and powerful and that FST midrange is all its cracked up to be :B :B :B

B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• joetama
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 786

Those new 600 series are sexy... :fyi:
                                                                              -Joe

Comment

• DeepEndX
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2005
                                                                                • 106

Great setup Number95!

RH

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 1098

Those 683's are too beautiful, Jack667.
                                                                                  Njoy :T

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 1199

Nice look. What sort of amp are you using?

Comment

• jack667
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2007
                                                                                      • 174

Amp is Bladelius Thor/Advantage S101 - Good amp for $4000 odd. 165w per side. Very warm and silky sounding - smoooooooth

Comment

• Guest

Originally posted by jack667
                                                                                        Well, originally planned to go for the 805s, and somehow here I am with a pair of 683s instead. I can't complain, it's all I could afford, and I was in love with the 685 sound, so this is just one step better!

Bass is deep and powerful and that FST midrange is all its cracked up to be :B :B :B

Yo' Jack.

Those speakers are sweet. Looks awesome too. Seriously looking into buying those myself ust after I turn in my thesis on thursday.

A question though. Looking at the speaker base on your pictures makes me wonder. What are they resting on when mounted on the base thingy?

Judging from B&W information, which is kinda scarce, it seems that both rubber feet for wooden floor and spikes for...something harder... is supplied with the speakers. Is that right?

Secondly. I can see you use the base on some shots and not on others. Any reason for that?

And what do you have between the speakers and the floor on those pics where you dont use the supplied base/foot thing?

Ohh...

Lots of question. Sorry 'bout that.

Anyways... Cheers.

regards
                                                                                        Mrhviid

Ps. DAMN they look nice :T. For some reason I just find these new B&W's aestethic to be so spot on - might be the slight off center look. Im probably gonna go for the Wenge finish though...

Comment

• jack667
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2007
                                                                                          • 174

Hi Mrhviid

They are amazing speakers for the money - never heard anything this good at this price.

Ok so the plinth - this is supplied by B&W. I tried it on, tried it off - didn't really make much difference to the sound quality, so it was purely an aesthetic thing. It has a 1inch rider between the speaker and plinth, then another 1.5inch on spikes.

They are supplied with both rubber feet and spikes. I currently have them sitting on spikes which sit marginally higher than the rubber feet, which give the floating illusion. This works best for me - I think they look great, and there is no compromise in sound quality. The spikes screw directly into the base of the speaker, no problem!

I can't really recommend them enough. Been enjoying them for over a week now - they are MEAN! powerful, detailed, never harsh or bright (which is strange, because I keep hearing people saying that the 685s are bright?! rubbish, provide them with decent amplification and you will never hear a single bright sound) - demo them, I can't see how anyone would be disappointed at this price point.

Thanks

Comment

• Indytown
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Apr 2005
                                                                                            • 171

Originally posted by number95
                                                                                            Here is my system and photos.
                                                                                            Enjoy :lol: :rofl:

My setup:
                                                                                            Analog Source: Michell Engineering Orbe SE Turntable, Michell Engineering Tecnoarm, Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
                                                                                            Phono Preamplification: Audio Research PH-7
                                                                                            Digital Source: Audio Aero Prestige SACD Player
                                                                                            Preamplification: Audio Research Reference-3
                                                                                            Power amplification: Audio Research Reference 610T Monoblocks
                                                                                            Speakers: B&W Nautilus 800
                                                                                            Cables: Transparent Audio Reference XLR Interconnectors (between Main Preamp and Power Amps), Transparent Audio Reference RCA Interconnectors (between Phono Stage and Main Preamp), Transparent Audio Reference XLR Interconnectors (between Digital Source and Main Preamp), Transparent Audio Reference Bicable Speaker Cables
                                                                                            Vibration Control: Finite Elemente Pagode E-80 Audio Rack, Acapella Fondato Silenzio Isolation Platforms (for Digital Source, Preamplifier and Power Amplifiers), Black Diamond Source Shelf (for Analog Source Power Supply), DIY Wood Supporters for Speaker Cables and Network
                                                                                            Electricity: PS Audio Premium Power Plant (for all Source Equipments and Preamp), PS Audio Lab-II Power Cords (Digital Source, Main AC Socket for PS Audio Premium Power Plant), Pirelli Electricity Cables for Dedicated Line and Ground for Power Amplification, Lagrande AC sockets
                                                                                            Room Acoustics: RPG Skyline Diffusers, DIY Bass Traps
                                                                                            Other: Bedini Quadro Beam Ultra CD Clarifier
                                                                                            Listening Room: 54 m2, Catedral Ceiling (acoustically treated)
                                                                                            number95,

that's one sick looking sysem in a good way. What does it sound like with all those tubes and the 800's. what kind of watts per channel?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"