X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jack667
    Ok so the plinth - this is supplied by B&W. I tried it on, tried it off - didn't really make much difference to the sound quality, so it was purely an aesthetic thing. It has a 1inch rider between the speaker and plinth, then another 1.5inch on spikes.

They are supplied with both rubber feet and spikes. I currently have them sitting on spikes which sit marginally higher than the rubber feet, which give the floating illusion. This works best for me - I think they look great, and there is no compromise in sound quality. The spikes screw directly into the base of the speaker, no problem!
    Nice pics Jack and that the 683s are working out for you! :T

Personally, I like the look of the plinths. Aren't you concerned about spiking your wood floor without them?
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Hi Mrhviid

They are amazing speakers for the money - never heard anything this good at this price.

Ok so the plinth - this is supplied by B&W. I tried it on, tried it off - didn't really make much difference to the sound quality, so it was purely an aesthetic thing. It has a 1inch rider between the speaker and plinth, then another 1.5inch on spikes.

They are supplied with both rubber feet and spikes. I currently have them sitting on spikes which sit marginally higher than the rubber feet, which give the floating illusion. This works best for me - I think they look great, and there is no compromise in sound quality. The spikes screw directly into the base of the speaker, no problem!

I can't really recommend them enough. Been enjoying them for over a week now - they are MEAN! powerful, detailed, never harsh or bright (which is strange, because I keep hearing people saying that the 685s are bright?! rubbish, provide them with decent amplification and you will never hear a single bright sound) - demo them, I can't see how anyone would be disappointed at this price point.

Thanks
      Hi Jack.

Thanks for the answer.

Yes I auditioned them too. And they really amazed me. I listened to them next to some 700 seriers speakers. I personally think B&W are giving their own 700 series too much competition with these. But hey... thats our gain.

Right, its settled then. Im gonna go for the 683's next week...

Btw, I did a direct comparison between the 683's and the 684's. In my oppinion the 684's are crap compared to what you can find in that price range from other brands of loudspeakers. Just as good the 683's is, just as bad does the 684's seem. Its like the 683's and 684's arent even in the same lineup or from the same company. Its really eerie...

Once more. Gratz on the nice speakers. I envy you... *goes back to thesis writing in a dark, silent and evil place where hifi doesnt exist*.

Regards
      Mrhviid

Comment

• jack667
        • Jul 2007

Rebelman - yeah I see what you mean about the plinths. I guess with more breathing room they would look great! But seeing as my listening space is kinda small, they just take up too much room! As for the flooring - it's only cheap veneer - not the end of the world!

Mrhviid - see, I said this about the 700 series and a lot of people commented saying that B&W would never put their own product to bed. Well I disagree, although I don't think they're putting anything to bed, but what with the CM and new 600 series, it's definitely a close call now. I have read in many places that the 683 is actually more comparable with the 804S, with no mention whatsoever of the 703.

I have never heard the 684s - looks like the same driver for midrange and bass though? Which also looks like the driver from the 685. I dunno, I loved the 685, but I don't know how it would work using the same driver for lower frequencies in a floor standing model.

Let me know how you find the 683s! Interested to know... PS what amp will you be using with them?

Thanks,

Jack
        B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

I have never heard the 684s - looks like the same driver for midrange and bass though? Which also looks like the driver from the 685. I dunno, I loved the 685, but I don't know how it would work using the same driver for lower frequencies in a floor standing model.

Let me know how you find the 683s! Interested to know... PS what amp will you be using with them?

Thanks,

Jack
          Yeah thats odd. The 683 and the 685 rocks, the 684 and the 686 less so...

About the amp. Im not really sure yet. Firstly Im gonna hook them up on my old Pioeneer 812, but that one will be relpaced very soon too. Prolly with Onkyo 605 or Denon 2808/2308.

The 683's require lots of juice to really strut their stuff. At least that was my impression.

Regards
          Mrhviid

Comment

• jack667
            • Jul 2007

Yeah the more power the better - Luckily, I am totally in love with my amp and it's more than powerful enough for me.

I'd love to hear how you get on with the 683s.. thanks

Comment

• Ron526
              • Oct 2006

Hi Jack,
              Did you purchase the plinths from a dealer, if so what was the cost?
              I like the look of them in your system.
              Enjoy, Ron526

Comment

• number95
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Indytown
                number95,

that's one sick looking sysem in a good way. What does it sound like with all those tubes and the 800's. what kind of watts per channel?

Hi Indytown,
                I am glad you liked my system. The amps are 600watts/ch. I might say, given right source of amplification B&W rules, no matter it is tube or solid state. It is a choice of musical preferences perhaps. With these amps, my N800s have never been better.

Comment

• jack667
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Ron526
                  Hi Jack,
                  Did you purchase the plinths from a dealer, if so what was the cost?
                  I like the look of them in your system.
                  Enjoy, Ron526
                  The plinths come with the speakers!

Thanks

Comment

• george_k
                    • Jan 2004

Just finished setting up my new 703's:

Sources:
                    Squeezebox v3
                    PS3

Amp:
                    NAD T-752 (need to upgrade this next)

I also need to get a bigger tv, it looks so puny next to the speakers
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Tony1
                      • Sep 2007

My setup

Bryston SP1.7 and 9BSST

4 805s
                      1 HTM2d
                      1 ASW825
                      Attached Files

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

how well does the htm2d integrate with the 805s?
                        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• marsboer
                          • Sep 2007

Here is some pictures from my B&W 802D setup.
                          The amplifier on the pictures is NAD M3 but I am currently waiting for my new Electrocompaniet AW400 monoblocks together with the EC 4.8 pre-amp.

I will put up some new pictures when the new gear arrives.

Comment

• marsboer
                            • Sep 2007

Hehe, not the tiniest of pictures.. :B

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                              • Apr 2007

Pretty, very nice!

:T
                              "Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                                • Apr 2007

Current photo, new Wild LCD.
                                "Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• Pedro
                                  • Jan 2006

Nice view Mr Skywalker

Comment

• fredBelgium
                                    • Jun 2007

Marsboer, very nice ! :T

Comment

• jericho
                                      • Dec 2004

Nice setup Marsboer

Comment

• jack667
                                        • Jul 2007

marsboer - I am soooo jealous. What's that NAD amp like?

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

Superb setup, Marsboer :T :T :T

Comment

• marsboer
                                            • Sep 2007

Thank you very much, everyone!

The M3 is very good for the asking price. It has a very relaxed sound with no hard edges but with lots of details and very good imaging. Of course there are better amplifiers out there, but it will cost you more. I'm only replacing it because I love the extremely organic sound from Electrocompaniet.

AW400 monoblocks

EC 4.8

You probably noticed the platforms my 802D's are standing on.
                                            The platforms are Auralex Grammas, and they are absolutely the best investment in my setup ever. Not only did the bass become more tight and precise, but they did wonders for everything else too. Much more air between instruments, and improved imaging. I have never gotten such improvements from spikes. The looks aren't so good though, but they fit nicely under my 802Ds.
                                            Last edited by marsboer; 23 September 2007, 13:51 Sunday.

Comment

• Avairen
                                              • Aug 2006

Well, originally planned to go for the 805s, and somehow here I am with a pair of 683s instead. I can't complain, it's all I could afford, and I was in love with the 685 sound, so this is just one step better!

Bass is deep and powerful and that FST midrange is all its cracked up to be :B :B :B

sorry if someone has asked you this and I just didn't see it but what model samsung tv is that? It looks a lot like the 4061 or 4065.

Comment

• jack667
                                                • Jul 2007

Hi Avairen,

It's the samsung LE40R73

Thanks!

Comment

• Russ L
                                                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by marsboer
                                                  Thank you very much, everyone!

The M3 is very good for the asking price. It has a very relaxed sound with no hard edges but with lots of details and very good imaging. Of course there are better amplifiers out there, but it will cost you more. I'm only replacing it because I love the extremely organic sound from Electrocompaniet.

AW400 monoblocks

EC 4.8

You probably noticed the platforms my 802D's are standing on.
                                                  The platforms are Auralex Grammas, and they are absolutely the best investment in my setup ever. Not only did the bass become more tight and precise, but they did wonders for everything else too. Much more air between instruments, and improved imaging. I have never gotten such improvements from spikes. The looks aren't so good though, but they fit nicely under my 802Ds.
                                                  Amazing setup. The Electrocompaniet Amps were originally designed to power the B&W 800 series speakers. I'd love to get my hands on one of their integrated amps for my system. Wish I could hear the combo you have but unfortunately no Electrocompaniet dealers in my area. Enjoy! Regards, Russ
                                                  Russ

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

Norges eldste og største produsent av HiFi og stereoanlegg.

Hrm..

marsboer... very nice setup!
                                                    B&W

Comment

• caleb
                                                      • Aug 2004

Tweeter covers

Very nice marsboer, but a word of caution.

I see that on your front speakers you have removed the grille from the tweeters.

If this was just for the photos - fine, but I would STRONGLY advise putting them back if you are using them like this for listening.

Reason is that the diamond tweeters will shatter is you even look at them in the wrong way :x let alone someone brushes against them accidentally.

Comment

• quan325i
                                                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                                                        Very nice marsboer, but a word of caution.

I see that on your front speakers you have removed the grille from the tweeters.

If this was just for the photos - fine, but I would STRONGLY advise putting them back if you are using them like this for listening.

Reason is that the diamond tweeters will shatter is you even look at them in the wrong way :x let alone someone brushes against them accidentally.
                                                        Do you work for Intel in Folsom?

Comment

• jack667
                                                          • Jul 2007

With the lights down! also, I built a new isolation platform today (wood on spikes!) - works great, looks great..

Comment

• joetama
                                                            • May 2006

Nice lights... Adds a neat touch...
                                                            -Joe

Comment

• marsboer
                                                              • Sep 2007

I always run with all the grilles on.
                                                              I only took them off to get nice pictures

I have 4 years of insurance left which covers just about everything, so I am not worried if anything is broken :B

Comment

• jack667
                                                                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by joetama
                                                                Nice lights... Adds a neat touch...
                                                                Thanks! It's great in here at night... super nice atmosphere to listen to music

Comment

• Chatterbot
                                                                  • Apr 2006

With the lights down! also, I built a new isolation platform today (wood on spikes!) - works great, looks great..

Didn´t know it´s Christmas already :P

..just kidding, nice atmosphere there :T

Cheers,
                                                                  G.

Comment

• Relentless
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2007

Final main speaker upgrade. :lol:
                                                                    Attached Files
                                                                    I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                                                                    Lou

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

Final main... possibly

Looks very nice, however you and I both know that that is not your final upgrade...

I still do not see an HTM1D

Very badass
                                                                      B&W

Comment

• Relentless
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                                        Final main... possibly

I still do not see an HTM1D
                                                                        that is why I didn't write final front stage upgrade. :B
                                                                        Lou

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                          • 3139

Originally posted by Relentless
                                                                          Very, very nice Lou! Congrats! :T

The race is on to the HTM1D. :B
                                                                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Chatterbot
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Apr 2006
                                                                            • 31

Nice setup. Badass Speakers ;x(

Was it your intention to place the bass-absorbers this way?
                                                                            Normally the long side should face the room´s edge...

Cheers,
                                                                            G.

Comment

• Relentless
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2007
                                                                              • 317

Originally posted by Chatterbot
                                                                              Nice setup. Badass Speakers ;x(

Was it your intention to place the bass-absorbers this way?
                                                                              Normally the long side should face the room´s edge...

Cheers,
                                                                              G.
                                                                              I have always read that you treat the corners first then the first reflection spots. This is what I have done except for the ceiling at this point.
                                                                              Lou

Comment

• caleb
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2004
                                                                                • 514

Originally posted by quan325i
                                                                                Do you work for Intel in Folsom?
                                                                                Yes - Ive been there for about 6 months now - why do you ask?

Comment

• Chatterbot
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Apr 2006
                                                                                  • 31

I have always read that you treat the corners first then the first reflection spots. This is what I have done except for the ceiling at this point.
                                                                                  You misunderstood... sorry for my bad english. A picture shows more than thousand
                                                                                  words:

As you can see: the corner-blocks shoud be placed with the long side showing
                                                                                  to the corners of the room. This should increase the performance of absorbtion,
                                                                                  so they say...

Greets,
                                                                                  G.

Comment

• Relentless
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2007
                                                                                    • 317

now I see what you mean. The traps in the front corner are not the triangle type traps, they are panels about 6" deep. I do have triangle traps in the rear corners though, so I will try turning them towards the corner when I am re-calibrating my subs for movies and see how it effects the FR on the SMS-1.
                                                                                    Lou

Comment

• marsboer
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2007
                                                                                      • 37

I finally got my AW400s

Some pictures of my current setup:

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2005
                                                                                        • 1199

:jawdrop: party round your place me thinks arty: arty: arty: arty: arty: arty: arty: arty: arty: arty: arty: arty: arty: arty: arty: arty: arty: arty:
                                                                                        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                                                        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Pedro
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 303

my goodness Marsboer, this amps are incredible. I´ve heard AW180, and i felt great punch, cant imagine how excelent the 802D are sounding

I´m searching a amp for my 803D´s and, i´m looking also for this amp. How much cost the pair of them??

Comment

• Chatterbot
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Apr 2006
                                                                                            • 31

@marsboer:

WOW ;x(

The only thing to complain about is the power-cords to the lamps on the wall.
                                                                                            ...they should be hidden. Looks like you have wall-panels. Should be no problem
                                                                                            to hide them behind the wall?

Cheers,
                                                                                            G.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"