This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ultrasonic
    • Feb 2006

Hi everyone, i am a 21yr old graduate from the UK, heres my humble system ops: In not really into the whole HT thing but love 2ch music which is what my system does best.

Marantz cd6000Ki as transport-QED signature coaxial cable
    Musical Fidelity Tri Vista 21 tube DAC-Black Rhodium Oratorio I/C
    Musical Fidelity A308 integrated-QED Genesis biwire
    B&W Cdm 9NT with signature phase plugs and HNE granite plinths
    Atacama Statistage isolation platforms
    Soundstyle AV rack

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.webp
Views:	71
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	948710

Name:	nicelighttrivista.webp
Views:	68
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	948711

Name:	IMG_0053.webp
Views:	67
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	948712

Name:	IMG_0048.webp
Views:	65
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	948713

Name:	IMG_0046.webp
Views:	67
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	948714

Provided i get the job i want i shall have some money to spend on planned upgrades. Next is a a308cr power amp for bi amping and a heavily modified a308 cd cdp for transport. A matching Cdm Cnt is in the pipeline, just need to wait for the seller to return from holiday! Also keepin an eye out for some 1NT's for rear duties. I Run a Yamaha RXV650 with the MF lopped for the 9NT's which is very good for the money :T I did have a Rel Strata III but sold it as it didn't add much grunt to eh impressive 9NTs! I like the looks of the PV1 sub in gloss black, has anyone heard one in action? My room is small.

Cheers
    Ultra
    Last edited by theSven; 01 September 2023, 17:06 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

Ultra nice setup, not humble about it :T
      Greg

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Nice setup Ultrasonic, but I'm more impressed by your camera and photography skills. Great quality.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Ultrasonic
          • Feb 2006

Cheers guys, i graduated in graphic design and photography was a core topic ops:

I never knew so many people had nautilus speakers! Am green with envy :B

Cheers

Ultra

Comment

• GregLett
            • May 2005

Originally posted by drsiebling
            Here's my setup! Comments/Criticism? Just follow the links...

Left Front 602

Right Front 602s3

Left Surround

Whole Room!

-BW

C'an't view them.
            Greg

Comment

• drsiebling
              • Jan 2006

C'an't view them.
              Sorry about that... it should be fixed now!

-BW

Comment

• Ultrasonic
                • Feb 2006

The system is fine but the most obvious problem is that the front speakers are in the corners of the room unless you have room EQ that is a bad idea as it does introduce bass boom. Not so noticable with movies but certainly a problem with music. The 602 s3 work well with about 50cm behind them and to the side. Givit a try and see what you think :T

cheers
                Ultra

Comment

• drsiebling
                  • Jan 2006

We have some serious space constraints that have kept us from being able to really maximize the speaker placement. I'm going to experiment by moving the fronts closer and to the sides of the TV. Hopefully that will cut down on the booming. When our new 50" Plasma comes in next week, that will really help with space issues and allow for a much more natural speaker setup.

Comment

• drsiebling
                    • Jan 2006

Following up, I'm able to get the speakers a maximum of roughly 33cm. from the back and well over 50cm. on each side. I've moved them about 2 feet closer to the TV on each side. Sounds quite a bit better!

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

• Ultrasonic
                      • Feb 2006

No probs

Comment

• drsiebling
                        • Jan 2006

I'm very happy with the look of the room... any comments?

Comment

• tec333
                          • Jan 2006

Drs,

the room looks beatiuful. i like the color pallatte and the wall art is very much to my liking!

I think moving the speakers away from the corners and on the sides of the tv would be ideal. Just cannot see it having a good sound stage being that far apart even if they were angled to your listening position.

Ultra nice photos indeed...

Tec

Comment

• drsiebling
                            • Jan 2006

Thanks so much, Tec! We're really proud of the room and our budding art collection. The hardwoods are our latest addition.

I've already moved the speakers in quite a bit. The soundstage has definitely improved! I'm at times limited by my wife's preferences... she would rather not see the speakers at all, so the corners were a compromise. The speakers in the corners bought me time against her wishes for a satellite speaker system (Bose - the horror!). We certainly don't want that. Now that she's heard them more appropriately placed, she's starting to see the reasoning behind all of the crazy audiophile stuff

Do you collect art as well?

BTW, I just added a few more photos to my original post.

Comment

• tec333
                              • Jan 2006

drs,

no, i don't collect art. but i do know what i like when i see it. we are redoing a few things in the house and I understand the whole thing with compromising with the wife. at first she said - "speakers are meant to be heard and not seen - can't you get those small speakers" she eventually understood after a year of living with the N805's - there is no way you can get the same quality with satellite speakers.

Now she is a great help and even provides her input. I am doing a demo on 804S and she makes comments like 'i like the finish on these better, there is more grain and it looks more natural' - referring to the new rosenut color vs the old red cherry.

She also sits with me now when I am doing my AB comparissons. Saying things like - 'I did not hear that part on the other speakers - it was just missing'

I am sure youre wife will come around. Start playing music she likes - that's what I did.

Here is a pic of my room in limbo right now...and a pic when everything is at peace (which I posted before).

I think I can use your help picking out some art for my walls. Maybe you can guide me on what I can look at, since I like the things you have on your wall right now. I am sending you a private message since I do not want to get off topic here - it is a B&W thread.

Tec
                              Attached Files

Comment

• caleb
                                • Aug 2004

Tbooe,
                                Great setup, but can't you get thos speaker wires shorter?

Comment

• ED K
                                  • Apr 2005

My System

My setup consists of

B&W 802Ds L/R
                                  HTM 2 center
                                  SCM rear
                                  Velodyne 18inch sub
                                  Bryston 7B SST monoblocks
                                  Mcintosh MX 135 pre/pro
                                  Mcintosh MS300 server
                                  Sony 400 disk mega changer
                                  Mcintosh MVP 861 DVD player
                                  Mcintosh MC 207
                                  Those who know it all know less than those who don't

Comment

• tboooe
                                    • Jun 2005

thanks caleb..those are indeed some huge cables. i am auditioning them from the cable co. so I could only get them in 3 meter. when I buy them I will definitely get them shorter! its definitely a big difference from the nice, thin, clear nordost blue heavens I was using. The wife thinks I am weird for using such big "hoses" (as she puts it) so speaker cables. She cant understand why I just dont use some 20guage wire!!! No that is a metaphysical conversation I do not want to get into!

Comment

• drsiebling
                                      • Jan 2006

Now she is a great help and even provides her input. I am doing a demo on 804S and she makes comments like 'i like the finish on these better, there is more grain and it looks more natural' - referring to the new rosenut color vs the old red cherry.
                                      Well, I eagerly await the day when my wife will help me audition new speakers and get excited about home theatre improvements. In her defense, she is really excited about our new plasma and has been really enthusiastic during the selection process. In moving the B&Ws around last night, she was very impressed with the improved imaging and noticed it immediately... so, we are moving in the right direction!

Hit me with that PM and I'll give you some details on the art.

Comment

• Joey_V
                                        • Jul 2005

DrSiebling...

I love the dark dark floor.... very chic! Just try to move the speakers away from the corners a little, when you get your Plasma. :T
                                        Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                                        Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                                        System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• drsiebling
                                          • Jan 2006

No Worries, Joey... They are already moved out of the corners and performing much better!

Thanks for the compliment on the floors! We love 'em!

-BW

Comment

• worldys
                                            • Dec 2005

My 2 channel is finally approaching where I want it to be:

Classe CDT
                                            Classe DAC
                                            Classe 301
                                            BAT VK31SE
                                            B&W N802
                                            Audioquest Dragon+SE Biwire Speaker Cables
                                            Aduioquest Lapis x3 ICs

Bought an Omicron to replace the 301 but it wouldn't fit in the rack so the 301 will be there for a while unless I find a 401 on the gon. May upgrade to a 51SE if I have the chance. The CDT and DAC are a bit on the old side but they still sound great so no urge to change for now.

My HT (work in progress):

Krell HTS2
                                            Krell Showcase 5
                                            Denon 3910
                                            B&W N803
                                            B&W HTM1
                                            B&W SCM1
                                            B&W ASW4000
                                            Audioquest Granite Speaker Cables
                                            Audioquest Python ICs

I like the Nautilus set up but might switch out the Krell gear for Classe. Also looking to switch the sub for an ASW850 or two small cube/high power subs.

Any suggestions?
                                            Attached Files

Comment

• tec333
                                              • Jan 2006

world, i like the 2ch setup...

i like the ht setup as well - that cabinet the Sony is sitting on has to be built really well. I have that 40 inch gorilla and I have been wanting to get rid of it. it took 4 people to caryy it upstairs last time...That sucker is like 350 pounds...

Comment

• tboooe
                                                • Jun 2005

worldys: what do you think of your BAT VK31SE? Can you please describe the presentation of the music? Is it forward and holographic or more laid back behind the speakers? How is the soundstage?

Comment

• worldys
                                                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by tec333

i like the ht setup as well - that cabinet the Sony is sitting on has to be built really well. I have that 40 inch gorilla and I have been wanting to get rid of it. it took 4 people to caryy it upstairs last time...That sucker is like 350 pounds...
                                                  yeah, i carried it up the stairs with only one other guy and thought i would pass out when we were done, i vowed never to buy a tube tv again after that experience

s

Comment

• worldys
                                                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
                                                    worldys: what do you think of your BAT VK31SE? Can you please describe the presentation of the music? Is it forward and holographic or more laid back behind the speakers? How is the soundstage?
                                                    it isn't laid back at all which is why i like it so much, very forward and dynamic, notes more alive

s

Comment

• krellfan
                                                      • Jul 2005

Worldys,

Very nice system. I always liked the Classe DAC and considered buying it a few years ago. Despite its age, it's still a very good sounding DAC.

Looks like you are an Audioquest cable fan. What is the difference between the Dragon SE and the regular Dragon speaker cables? I am currently using AQ Dragon, Everest, Amazon and Cheetah cables in my system.

Comment

• worldys
                                                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by krellfan
                                                        Worldys,
                                                        Looks like you are an Audioquest cable fan. What is the difference between the Dragon SE and the regular Dragon speaker cables? I am currently using AQ Dragon, Everest, Amazon and Cheetah cables in my system.
                                                        The + version has more silver conductors and a lower overall gauge, i think the SE just means it has a special silver mesh that looks cool

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2004

worldys, you have such a weird looking room, but it looks so cool! Wow. Very impressive!
                                                          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• ajb
                                                            • Feb 2006

my humble system

hi to all,

I just couldn't resist to post.
                                                            pictures are not the best quality, but it is all about the music
                                                            and that is what I enjoy so much in my small just stereo system.
                                                            Naim nait5i, Naim cd5I, Naim Nat05 en B&W N805
                                                            it makes music in a very enjoyable fashion

greetz, ajb
                                                            Attached Files

Comment

• GregLett
                                                              • May 2005

NIce setup ajb, and welcome
                                                              Greg

Comment

• Clepto
                                                                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by tec333

A far cry from me being able to carry my 42" up a flight of stairs by myself (; (yay plasma)

Comment

• Eliav
                                                                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ED K
                                                                  My setup consists of

B&W 802Ds L/R
                                                                  HTM 2 center
                                                                  SCM rear
                                                                  Velodyne 18inch sub
                                                                  Bryston 7B SST monoblocks
                                                                  Mcintosh MX 135 pre/pro
                                                                  Mcintosh MS300 server
                                                                  Sony 400 disk mega changer
                                                                  Mcintosh MVP 861 DVD player
                                                                  Mcintosh MC 207
                                                                  Looks like a great setup, any photos ?
                                                                  Eliav
                                                                  :T Socrat

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Here's my newly upgraded system:

System
                                                                    DVD Player: Marantz DV7600
                                                                    Pre-Amp: Rotel RSP-976
                                                                    Power-Amp 1: Krell KAV-3250 driving L/R Fronts + Centre
                                                                    Power-Amp 2: Rotel RMB-1075 driving L/R Surrounds

Speakers
                                                                    L/R Fronts: B&W 803D - Cherrywood
                                                                    Centre: B&W HTM2D - Cherrywood
                                                                    L/R Surrounds: B&W Nautilus 804 - Cherrywood
                                                                    Sub: Paradigm PS1000 V.3

Plasma: 50" Pioneer PDP-506HDG (aka PDP-506-XDE) - ordered and in transit

Interconnects
                                                                    Video source to plasma: Van den Hul HDMI
                                                                    Audio source to pre - digital audio: Van den Hul - The FIRST Ultimate
                                                                    Pre to power - analogue audio: Van den Hul - The SECOND

Speaker Cables
                                                                    803D: (Bi-wired): Van den Hul - The REVELATION Hybrid
                                                                    HTM2D (Bi-wired): Van den Hul - The REVOLUTION Hybrid
                                                                    Nautilus 804: Van den Hul - The SNOWLINE
                                                                    Sub: AudioQuest - Sub-X

My budget limit has been reached. Further expenditure to take place around early 2007.
                                                                    Then I'll be looking to upgrade the pre-amp (depending on what may become available once HDMI version 1.3 is approved - with reference to Dolby Digital Plus (DP), Dolby True HD (DT), DTS-HD and any other high definition audio format which may become relevant), better cables for the surrounds & maybe the sub. Thereafter, a better power-amp for the surrounds. Also in the plan, somewhere, is an additional source for whatever new format may be worthy of acquiring.

Attached Files
                                                                    Last edited by ShadowZA; 10 March 2006, 17:39 Friday. Reason: Video source cable changed

Comment

• Lewing
                                                                      • Oct 2004

Awesome setup and stunning pictures shadowZA! Those B&Ws look very classy in cherrywood.
                                                                      Live to Eat, Live to enjoy Music :T

http://community.webshots.com/user/lewing79

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI shadow,
                                                                        That is a really beautiful and classy setup. Nice pictures. I'll bet it sounds great.

One thing. I also have the Krell 3250 (in black too) and as you know it does not have a remote control capability. But it does have a trigger input which will switch it on or off from a trigger source. I have mine connected to my Krell KAV 280P preamp's trigger out. I can control the power to both using the preamp's remote control. It will solidify your standing in the couch potato clan. BTW, it's handy too.

Sparky

Comment

• Kobus
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2005

Wonderfull. Happy for you.............and envious.

I know that you will soon give us a review (especially 2 channel). In the B&W forum obviously.

Regards

Kobus

Comment

• jericho
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2004
                                                                            • 280

Very nice setup, like those 803's very much, enjoy!!! :T

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 1098

Thanks for the positive comments

This morning, I lugged the TV from the living room to the lounge so that I could do some settings on the pre-amp/processor. I set the speakers as follows for some stereo cd listening: Front speakers - large - on; rear speakers, centre speaker & sub - all off. I'm now breaking in the 803D's. Listening to Jim Tomlinson, Stacey Kent, Diana Krall, Lee Ritenour, Bob James, Katie Melua and Norah Jones to begin with.

There is a full-bodiedness and crispness that is quite new to me. There is a mid-range to low frequency presence that is controlled and very much there. Note that the sub is turned off completely. I was expecting this considering the size and spec of the 803D's + Krell compared to the N804's + Rotel. I'm hooked. I'm going to have to listen to most of my cd collection on this setup and re-evaluate preferences. I am enjoying the sound a lot more ... but a significant reason for this can be attributed to new thicker carpeting + the carpeting on the wall behind the hi-fi (which was never there before). When the Plasma arrives, it will be easier to change settings and then I'll also be able to play around with the sub and 5.1 channel sound.

Sparky, thanks for your info. I'll bear this in mind as I begin my pre-amp research :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 3139

Hey Shadow that is a beautiful setup. Did you own the equipment rack previously or did you buy it to compliment the speakers? Looks like a perfect match. I agree with Lewing, the cherry wood is sharp looking and suits your room well. Nice job on the speakers and the amp. You've got me drooling to upgrade. :drool:
                                                                                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 1098

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                                  Hey Shadow that is a beautiful setup. Did you own the equipment rack previously or did you buy it to compliment the speakers? Looks like a perfect match. I agree with Lewing, the cherry wood is sharp looking and suits your room well. Nice job on the speakers and the amp. You've got me drooling to upgrade. :drool:
                                                                                  Thanks RebelMan ... I bought the rack in November last year from a place called "Designs Unlimited" in Johannesburg, South Africa. http://www.designsunlimited.co.za/ Took about 8 weeks to manufacture and yes ... hoped it would compliment the speakers.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2005
                                                                                    • 1418

Final No more this is it I promise

OK The system is there. Nirvana this is it. I am satisfied and not doing one thing more.

B&W 802ds, 804s', htm2d, asw825
                                                                                    Krells fpb 400cx, kav3250 amps
                                                                                    Pass labs X1 preamp
                                                                                    Lexicon mc12b v5 Processor
                                                                                    Ayre D1xe Dvd Cd
                                                                                    Panasonic 50 inch viera plasma
                                                                                    Goldmund digin
                                                                                    ALL nordost Red Dawn

Attached Files

Comment

• aphexist
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2004
                                                                                      • 158

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                                                                                      OK The system is there. Nirvana this is it. I am satisfied and not doing one thing more.
                                                                                      We've heard that before. We should just call this thread, "Mr. Doggy's System of the Week."

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2005
                                                                                        • 1418

Nope nope this is it. Really. I wouldn't know wher to go from here. I am so happy with the X1 preamp. It really brought out the best from the Krell fpb400cx and Ayre D1xe that I have come to the point where I wouldn't want anything better.

really !! cross my heart

Comment

• PavelL
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2005
                                                                                          • 204

Misterdoggy! You made us all green with envy ) well, ALMOST everyone )) So please do stop posting these pix. PLEEEEEEEEEEASE ))))

Comment

• neil w
                                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                                            • 17

misterdoggy

what are the spike kits under your htm2d

regards neil

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"