This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nyny
    • Jul 2004

Chistopher: thanks for attaching the pix for me, much appreciated. The 1068 does get a bit warmer sitting on top of the 1075 than it would have been sitting alone, but not by much (maybe having them sitting in an open space instead of in an audio rack helped).

See-Fu: interestingly, I have gotten a lot of PMs regarding where I got that coffee table. In case anyone else is interested, I got it from Natuzzi.

Greg: I had the same concern before regarding the coffee table, but surprisingly, I have not noticed any sound anomalies so far (tested it when I was setting up the center channel). The floor did gave me some trouble before I added the rug and those two orange chairs..haha...a bit too reflective before.

Joey: yes, some of my friends think I am a neat freak. Good thing my better half also likes to keep things clean (plus, we live on the 10th floor, so it's not too dusty).

I am glad you guys like the set-up, I will post some additional pix once I set up the 805S and the DD12.

Cheers~
    Tony

Comment

• scottielee
      • Apr 2005

excellent job Tony!! i can definitely see your signature clean lines and modern, consistent styling :T :T
      one suggestion: gotta start thinking about childproofing your electronics before your cutie newborn starts to crawl
      scott

Comment

• caleb
        • Aug 2004

nyny - lovely setup, and very clean lines.

However, dont you find a bit of imbalance between the fronts & centre given the difference in height?

Maybe just tilting up the centre a little might improve things??

Comment

• Kobus
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by jack d
          How does one post the picture to show up directly in the post as many have done here? thx.
          The pictures must be "hosted" elsewhere. You then provide a link to the picture.

Kobus

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by caleb
            nyny - lovely setup, and very clean lines.

However, dont you find a bit of imbalance between the fronts & centre given the difference in height?

Maybe just tilting up the centre a little might improve things??
            Not to mention the sound issues having the hard reflective floor so close to the center channel speaker. I can't help but think that center imaging would be completely smeared.

Comment

• Maverick71
              • Nov 2006

Here's my setup. Had to sell all my 'old' speaker setup plus sub, but I feel it was worthwhile .
              Attached Files

Comment

• nyny
                • Jul 2004

Scott: haha..I actually just had a conversation with my wife about fencing off my equipments when Devin gets bigger (he is 6.5kg now).

Caleb: thanks for the advice, I am planning on tilting the center channel upwards, but still unable to find a good way to do so. Any suggestions?

ZX10 Guy: I haven't really noticed any smearing of the center imaging since I only uses my center channel for movies.

Maverick71: nice setup! Those 803Ds goes very well with your room decor. :T
                Tony

Comment

• caleb
                  • Aug 2004

It may sound a bit kitsch, but I used a couple of paperback books under the speaker just to prove the point and get the angle right before I had my engineer make me some aluminium cones to make the setup look good using the height obtained by the books as a reference.

I then used double sided tape to secure.

RGDS

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by nyny
                    Caleb: thanks for the advice, I am planning on tilting the center channel upwards, but still unable to find a good way to do so. Any suggestions?
                    go to guitarcenter and buy the auralex foam for studio monitors.
                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• RobP
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Maverick71
                      Here's my setup. Had to sell all my 'old' speaker setup plus sub, but I feel it was worthwhile .
                      Great looking setup Maverick, Love those 803d's :T , Oh...Welcome to the HTGuide!
                      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Maverick71
                        • Nov 2006

I just have to find a better am for them as I feel my TAG 100x5R don't do them justice...

Mav

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Love the clean setup Maverick

Clean and hidden wires are the way to go!
                          B&W

Comment

• rolski
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Maverick71
                            I just have to find a better am for them as I feel my TAG 100x5R don't do them justice...
                            Maverick,
                            A couple of questions - nice storage for your kit - I've TMA as well & am looking for ideas - who's the manufacturer ? Unfortunately I've 3 TMA Amps & tuner & phono amp etc, so I may need an even bigger unit....!

No centre speaker ?
                            Rolski.

Comment

• Maverick71
                              • Nov 2006

Hi rolski,

I bought the "rack" at a local furniture store. Had a hard time in finding what I wanted. I'll see if it's an international brand or manufacturer. Presently it holds the DVD player and processor on top (and it used to handle the center speaker also) and inside has another DVD player, a minidisc player, a DVD recorder, Terrestial tuner, a PS2 and the power amp (100x5R). It still has room for another 100x5R, so, as you can see, lots of space.

I designed it and fortunately found exactly what I needed: 3 modules, not very high (because of the plasma) with enough internal width (~50cm) to hold any equipment.

Unfortunately I had to sell all my speakers and sub to buy the 803D. Next week I'll be able to purchase the center speaker (probably a HTM4S), then the surrounds (probably CM1's) and then the sub (???).

I still don't know if I should invest first on a better amp (don't know what to buy ) or complete the speaker setup.

Mav

Comment

• caleb
                                • Aug 2004

Hi Maverick & Rolski.

From another TAG user (we are getting to be a dyeing breed!).
                                I also had a 100x5 and had to upgrade when I bought my 802's.
                                I went for the 250x5 - TAG were still going then you see.
                                I eventually upgraded this for two x Bryston 7B SST and then used the TAG for the centre and rears.
                                Obviously the beauty of sticking to TAG is the tagtronic bus facilities.
                                You will find that your B&Ws will sound so much better with a bit more wellie to drive them.

Dont be put off by having what may seem too much power available - you dont need to have your noses bleeding at every session ! !

Comment

• Maverick71
                                  • Nov 2006

Hi caleb,

Thanks for your suggestions. I've been trying biamping the 803D's with the 100x5R (which is better but I feel that there's still room for improvement) and a Lyngdorf class D power 2x200 (SDI2175), which is very, very good in tranparency, detail and resolution, but it seems to lack "oomph".

I thought about a s/h the 250R. Do you find the Brystons better? Not overly bright or edgy? I was going to try out Classé CA-2200 and Parasound A21. Any feelings on these?

Cheers,

Mav

Comment

• caleb
                                    • Aug 2004

I find the Bryston sound just perfect with my B&Ws.

They have plenty on reserve and control the 800Ds perfectly.

Comment

• drsiebling
                                      • Jan 2006

Here's the latest development in my HT:

Image not available
                                      Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 04:51 Tuesday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Joey_V
                                        • Jul 2005

Again with the super contemporary and NICE flooring... eh, Dr Siebling?

Joey
                                        Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                                        Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                                        System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• drsiebling
                                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Joey_V
                                          Again with the super contemporary and NICE flooring... eh, Dr Siebling?

Joey
                                          What can I say? I love contemporary design! I just added the front projection system to the room - - oh, and the new sofa.
                                          Last edited by drsiebling; 29 November 2006, 17:43 Wednesday.

Comment

• Greg Gale
                                            • Nov 2006

Family Room Set UP

My audio set up consists of a:

Marantz SA14 SACD Player
                                            Rega P25 Turntable with Dynavector X20H
                                            Classe CP47.5 Preamp
                                            Classe CA201 Amplifier
                                            Tandberg 3011 Tuner
                                            N802 Speakers bi-wired with MIT cable
                                            Attached Files
                                            Greg Gale

Main System:
                                            802 D2
                                            Classe CA2300
                                            Ayre K5XEMP
                                            Graham Slee Reflex M
                                            Esoteric X-05 SACD
                                            VPI Classic 3
                                            Dynavector X20x2
                                            Oppo BDP 95

Comment

• Fife
                                              • Apr 2004

My Stereophile B&W THX Setup

First Picture is with Matrix 805 + HTM for front trio with 2 PCS THX Subs.

Second picture is with full THX Speakers: 2 FCMs for front trio with 2 PCS Subs.

The surrounds are THX SCM8. Probably the best surrrounds ever made by B&W.
                                              Attached Files

Comment

• azsyno
                                                • Oct 2005

New House and therefore, a new set-up for my system...

I've pretty much gotten things dialed in now... the room off to the left (second picture) is posing a few issues, but I believe that I've compensated accordingly with the parameters in the Yamaha Rx-V1400. If anyone has any ideas, please advise. Also, window treatments are definitely overdue. That's the next project...

FWIW, the Sunfire Signature Series is doing wonders, but wow... I have it adjusted to about 20% total gain - anything above that and it's just too obnoxious. Would want to move it or the ASW-600 to another position, but the couch gets in the way. :cry:

Main Listening Area:

Side Room:

Rear Left: Wiring will be less visible once a dog door is installed in the exterior wall and the speaker/table are moved further in.

Comment

• scanido
                                                  • Apr 2006

azsyno,

Great setup. I'm thinking of the same stand from Salamander. How is the wood grain on that stand? Is it a smooth finish or is it like our B&W speakers where you can see the grain. Is it possible to get closeups of the stand?

Thanks

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2004

You have a beautiful home and setup, Azsyno.
                                                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• caleb
                                                      • Aug 2004

Lovely setup - it is probably an optical illusion, but in the first picture your speakers actually look to be toed out rather than in.

Comment

• Miroku
                                                        • Jul 2004

Scanido,

I just bought that same piece from salamander, although I got 2 doors and no drawers, as I have to fit an HTM 7 in the center.

I think the wood grain is very nice and matches my b&w CDM9 NTs. I cant take any pics now though, as my stand came with a defect, and I am waiting on a replacement from my dealer.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2006

Beautiful setup, azsyno :T

Comment

• azsyno
                                                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                                                            Lovely setup - it is probably an optical illusion, but in the first picture your speakers actually look to be toed out rather than in.

Ok... you made me Look. 8O But, there is no toe at all. They're straight on. I did play with a bit of toe-in on the front right, due to the little side-room, but rather than toe, I ended up going with a bit of a balance tweak using the Yammie. Thanks for the comment though. I do want them to look and sound good. :-)

Comment

• azsyno
                                                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by scanido
                                                              azsyno,

Great setup. I'm thinking of the same stand from Salamander. How is the wood grain on that stand? Is it a smooth finish or is it like our B&W speakers where you can see the grain. Is it possible to get closeups of the stand?

Thanks
                                                              Scanido - thank you... The finish on the Salamander rack that i Have is not wood grain, rather it is a matte black semi-smooth surface with no grain at all. The material is most likely a MDF (composiit) material, and therefore, no grain. It does match the B&W Black though and is a nice finish overall. I wish it had the same grain as the 703's though... that'd be perfect.

Oh well. If you still want pics, I can take them later this week.

Comment

• scanido
                                                                • Apr 2006

Thanks again azsyno. I pretty much have an idea what the wood will be like now. I think that stand fits the bill perfectly then. No need for any pics.

Comment

• D-bucket
                                                                  • Jun 2005

Hey azsyno, very nice indeed. Your main listening area & side room have a lovely pleasant ambience that I find very refreshing. Those 703s must feel right at home there. :T

Btw, are you using a phantom center channel in ht mode or am I just overlooking your center in the 1st photo?

Comment

• azsyno
                                                                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by D-bucket
                                                                    Btw, are you using a phantom center channel in ht mode or am I just overlooking your center in the 1st photo?
                                                                    D--
                                                                    There is a center channel - but from my pic with such poor lighting you can't see it. It's a B&W 600LCR(?)... not exactly the perfect set-up, i'd much prefer to go bigger, but I cannot get a B&W center into that little space unless I move the Yammie to another spot and for now, I'm good with it where it is.

Thanks for the comments on the room - it's a big difference from my last house - much warmer, and it's different.

Best, Glen

Comment

• babar
                                                                      • Jan 2005

System connected

Thanks to Eliav, misterdoggy, Norpus , RCD, , Sikoniko, Ti33er & WI Rotel.

Rotel: 1090, 1098 & 1095
                                                                      BW: 802D, HTM2D & 805S
                                                                      Panasonic: AX-100 projector & 42" plasmas

adjustments since opening the boxes and connecting limited to toe-in of front speakers. would be grateful for your recomendations. I primarily use it for HT movies, gaming and listeing to music while browsing.
                                                                      the room is 16' x 18' with tile flooring :M
                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

• P1et
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Babar! I think you need some more cables!!!

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2004
                                                                          • 1930

That video setup is sooooo sweet Babar!!!
                                                                          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Fife
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Apr 2004
                                                                            • 141

Babar, Pretty cool dual screens. I think you need 2 more on top!

Comment

• babar
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Jan 2005
                                                                              • 34

more comments

Hi Guys,
                                                                              Anyone got any thoughts on how I can get some advise specific to my current system. Basically I am looking for things I can do to improve the experience not limited to making significant upgrades.

I would really like some advice on:

Speaker placement?

Subwoofer placement
                                                                              -they are currently connected to the 2 x sub out on the 1098, and I have no idea what to do with the phase

Acoustics (do I need more carpeting?)

Are the speakers and wires too close to the power stabilizers / extensions to cause interference?

and ofcourse any others thoughts someone might have...

Also, do most of you leave the projector cover on? I imagine if ceiling mounted, it comes off... just that everytime I take it off I mess up the focus, etc ever so slightly...

Comment

• sarsi
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Nov 2004
                                                                                • 95

Thought I should post my setup in the B&W club as well though I have been hanging out at the Rotel club forum for quite awhile now.

Did some upgrades to my setup ... added a Marantz SA11S1 SACD player (tired of waiting for Rotel, don't think they will ever produce one ) I had finally broke down and added a Rotel RB1092 to drive my front speakers. Did a double run 8TC to biwire the front speakers as well.

So here you go my latest setup:
                                                                                Components:
                                                                                Marantz SA11S1 - SACD/CD Player (New)
                                                                                Marantz DV9500 - Universal DVD Player
                                                                                Rotel RSP 1098 - AV Surround Sound Processor
                                                                                Rotel RB 1092 - Stereo Power Amplifier (New)
                                                                                Rotel RMB 1095 - Multi Channel Power Amplifier
                                                                                Speakers:
                                                                                B&W 703 Front Main Speakers
                                                                                B&W 704 Rear Surround Speakers
                                                                                B&W HTM7 Center Speaker
                                                                                B&W ASW750 Subwoofer
                                                                                Speaker Cables:
                                                                                Kimber double-run 8TC biwire for front Left and Right
                                                                                Kimber single run 8TC biwire for Center
                                                                                Kimber single run 4TC for rear surround with 4TC jumper
                                                                                Interconnects:
                                                                                Kimber PBJ for pre/power
                                                                                Kimber PBJ for 5.1 input from DVD player
                                                                                Kimber Silver Streak for CD player
                                                                                Kimber DV 75 for digital coaxial from DVD to SSP
                                                                                Subwoofer Cable:
                                                                                QED Qunex P-SW
                                                                                Power cords:
                                                                                Oyaide PC-OCCA PA23 Power Cords for components
                                                                                Oyaide Tunami Power Cord to Supra Power Distributor

... I am a happy camper now ...
                                                                                Attached Files
                                                                                Last edited by sarsi; 27 December 2006, 03:24 Wednesday.

Comment

• jack d
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2006
                                                                                  • 184

Here's my setup. 802Ds L/R; HTM1D center; 804Ss surround.

Front View:

Wide View:

Rear Wall:
                                                                                  Last edited by jack d; 31 December 2006, 11:30 Sunday.

Comment

• johan
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2004
                                                                                    • 129

Thats beutiful Jack!

What are your electronics? Do you use a sub?

Happy new year,
                                                                                    Johan.

Comment

• jack d
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2006
                                                                                      • 184

Originally posted by johan
                                                                                      Thats beutiful Jack!

What are your electronics? Do you use a sub?

Happy new year,
                                                                                      Johan.
                                                                                      Thanks.

The sub is over next to the left front BW (there is a statue on top of it). It's an SVS PB12-Ultra/2

Amps:
                                                                                      Mac MC402 for L/R
                                                                                      Anthem MCA 50 for center and surrounds

Processor:
                                                                                      Arcam AVP 700 but I have a Meridian G68 on order which should arrive in about a week (can't wait!).

Audio Sources:
                                                                                      Olive Opus Music Server
                                                                                      Denon 3910 for SACD.

Video:
                                                                                      Plasma: Panasonic 65 inch 1080p model (TH-65PF9UK)
                                                                                      Processor: Crystalio 3800
                                                                                      Noise Reduction: Algolith Mosquito
                                                                                      HD TIVO Box.
                                                                                      Last edited by jack d; 31 December 2006, 11:26 Sunday.

Comment

• OC 335i
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Dec 2006
                                                                                        • 35

Center channel note pictured but here's my modest bedroom setup:

Click image for larger version

Name:	0836.webp
Views:	61
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	948860

TV
                                                                                        Panasonic TH-42PX600u - 42" Plasma
                                                                                        Components
                                                                                        Rotel RSX-1057 Receiver
                                                                                        Motorola 6416 III DVR
                                                                                        Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi DVD Player
                                                                                        XBox 360
                                                                                        Speakers
                                                                                        B&W DM603 S3 Fronts
                                                                                        B&W DM602 S3 Rears (Surround)
                                                                                        B&W LCR600 Center
                                                                                        Velodyne DD-10 Subwoofer
                                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 04:51 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• jack d
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2006
                                                                                          • 184

Originally posted by OC 335i
                                                                                          Center channel note pictured but here's my modest bedroom setup:

Click image for larger version  Name:	0836.webp Views:	0 Size:	22.4 KB ID:	948860

TV
                                                                                          Panasonic TH-42PX600u - 42" Plasma
                                                                                          Components
                                                                                          Rotel RSX-1057 Receiver
                                                                                          Motorola 6416 III DVR
                                                                                          Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi DVD Player
                                                                                          XBox 360
                                                                                          Speakers
                                                                                          B&W DM603 S3 Fronts
                                                                                          B&W DM602 S3 Rears (Surround)
                                                                                          B&W LCR600 Center
                                                                                          Velodyne DD-10 Subwoofer

I've got a second set up with the same 600 series speakers as you except I have the 60 center. I think that was a mistake. I should probably go for the 600. I also had one of the BW subs for that system but it was 220v and I sold it when I moved back to the States. Still don't have a SW to go with that system now. I really like my big SVS and they have just come out with a small room version of the same model which I might pick up. I was driving mine with a Denon 3805, which I also sold. I'm looking for something to drive it now. How do you like the Rotel? Anyway, it's a nice set up for a smaller room.

Why didn't you show the center speaker? I guess you place it just in front of the equipment, right?
                                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 04:52 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• OC 335i
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Dec 2006
                                                                                            • 35

Yes, the speaker is on a simple black VTI stand right in front of the equipment right now. I don't really like it so I'll probably put it on some type of shelf when I'm more motivated.

The 1057 sounds great, I don't have any complaints about it other than it doesn't have HDMI 1.3 but who does? It was relatively easy to setup. I bought the Velodyne DD-10 off a local on Audiogon and absolutely love it. The bass output is perfect for my needs in this size of room (nice and tight) and the physical size and eq of the DD-10 is what attracted me to it.

As for the 600 center, I'm not sure if it's anything I've done wrong but during movies, sometimes it is a bit hard to hear speech. I've set the time alignment on the Rotel and during movies, I find myself adjusting the center channel on the dvd player for more output.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"