X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shep
    • Dec 2004

Buy open box 804 or wait for new model?

I am trying to decide whether to pick up a pair of N804s before they are all gone, or wait for the new 804s to be on sale some day. Not a great choice since the stock in local stores (in Maryland) are down to only open-box, and the price is still a bit high. Just how much better are these new 804s going to be with the rohocell driver cones and tweaked crossovers? Is it worth the wait? I don't expect to be able to afford the new model until next summer. My fallback position, in replacing my tired 20 year old speakers (Polk 7c) is to try for a deal on fresh 805s and upgrade to the upgraded 804s in a year or two. Running them on a Rotel RB-1070 and listening mostly to jazz/classical.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

B&W speakers dont generally go on sale. It is likely you may have to wait until the series 3 models come out to see a series 2 go on sale.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• shep
      • Dec 2004

Ah, well then I better not share the name of the dealer... the authorized dealer where I shop has an annual sale, normally 10-15% off at most. A few months ago, I missed the chance to get 20% off brand new dark cherry 804s. Now they only have open-box black at what is now their closeout price (same 20%). Given that many of the open box models left look a little overly used - loose tweeters, etc. - I am either going to need to bargain the price down, wait a long time, or settle for the 805s so that I can retire my Polks. At least the dealer will allow a trade up when I am ready...

So, I guess the question is, will the new 804s really be worth the wait?

Many thanks

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

Yeah, 10-15% off retail is typical for NEW speakers from B&W. You should be able to get ~30-35% for demo models.

Not sure what your budget is, but new 804s will jump to $4000 retail.

Will they be better?...more than likely they will.

I thought the same thing, but got a good deal on demo 804s and the new 804s are out of my budget range of $2500.

Comment

• shep
          • Dec 2004

good points. I just wish my dealer had a more reasonable starting price for used speakers, and perhaps if they were in better condition as well. It is a local chain, so I may start calling their other stores to find some 804s in the area I can live with (matched pair, minimal wear and tear, etc.)

Comment

• springer49
            • Oct 2004

Shep, I have a connection where I can get brand new 804's shipped to you for $2950, mine are on the way. let me know.

Comment

• shep
              • Dec 2004

local dealer in Ohio? Could be interested if they have the dark cherry. My main incentive to buy local is that I can trade up later on.

Comment

• springer49
                • Oct 2004

the dealer is actually in Ct. I buy from a guy who gets a deal from him. I just ordered the dark cherry myself.

Comment

• shep
                  • Dec 2004

my family is in CT, and I will be there next week. let's talk.

Comment

• springer49
                    • Oct 2004

shep, sorry I just found the receipt. The dealer is in New Hampshire. Send me your e-mail address and I will send it along to my contact. He will help you out.

Comment

• springer49
                      • Oct 2004

Shep, I just heard back from my source. If you send me your e-mail he said he would like to help you out.

Comment

• shep
                        • Dec 2004

Went back to my dealer in Maryland to check again if they could find any 804s. Prices he gave were about $2800 (floor model) and $3500/list (new - if they can be found in the distribution channel). I was surprised, given the fact that these speakers are discontinued..

Comment

• springer49
                          • Oct 2004

Do you want me to follow up with my source?

Comment

• sikoniko
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

The dealers are still having to pay full price for the current line, so they can't discount them any more than usual. Only demo stock...
                            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• shep
                              • Dec 2004

Springer49: check your messages. I sent my contact info to you yesterday.

Comment

• topher
                                • Dec 2004

Also in the market for N804s and a HTM1

Looking for sources to get into the nautalus line without breaking the bank. Local dealer will not deal (retail).

Thanks

Comment

• springer49
                                  • Oct 2004

send me a private message and I will pass it along

Comment

• shep
                                    • Dec 2004

Bit the bullet and bought a pair of open box black 804s today at my local dealer for $2800. Decided that being able to trade up later at my local dealer was worth more than getting exactly what I wanted. The speakers are in good shape (will be replacing damaged grills under warranty) and sound better than new, as they are already broken in. Now, I wonder what the next generation 804s will sound like...

Thanks to all for your help while I wrestled with this decision.

Comment

• Parsonsk
                                      • Nov 2004

hey guys - i have a similar question about the 804's. when i asked my dealer about the new 800's vs the existing ones he instantly offered me 25% off the demos and a new rotel RB-1080.
                                      But my concern is not how much better the new ones are going to be but how much i can get the existing ones for????
                                      In canada they run $5k for new. Now if i can get 30% or 35% off (ohhh that sounds nice) then lets talk otherwise i'll be looking at new 700's. It's more justifying the money not the availability of it
                                      i wish i could win the lotto

Comment

• junior77blue
                                        • Nov 2004

I paid $2350+tax = $2500 for demo 804s

Comment

• shep
                                          • Dec 2004

You got a good price. I did not do as well, but I did buy nearly the last pair that the company had, and they have been selling like hotcakes. I am thinking of these speakers as a resting place for my $2800 until next year, when I can apply it toward the new 804s.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"