I want to build a new Home Theater and am trying to narrow down my choices.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darshan
    • Jan 2003

I want to build a new Home Theater and am trying to narrow down my choices.

:roll: I am trying to rebuild my home theater entirely. I had what I thought was an extensive and top of the line Home Theater and it turned out that I was ripped off by a local dealer. In any case, I have started planning out what I need and would like to do and would like some feed back from anyone who knows specifically about the products I am looking at.

I should mention that I have a large home and a large basement where my home theater is located. The sound system is the most important thing to me because I hold about 8 programs (musical, political fund raisers, etc) where I have about 200-300 people seted in my basement (which is really an auditorium). The basement is about 4000 sq. ft in the shape of a rectangle. I want to make sure that I buy quality products at good prices and make sure that I don't have to replace the products for at least the next 5 years.

Here's my list.

1)JBL Synthesis 1 or Genelec Speaker system - (I can't find much in terms of reviews on these systems and I want to hear the system before I commit to this kind of money. If anyone can suggest which of the two are better and where I can hear them out around the New Jersey/New York area, it would really help)
    2)Stewart Motorized Firehawk Tension Screen - 140-160 inches
    3)I need to decide between the DWIN Projector and the
    4)AMX or Crestron - (Everyone has a different opinion and some people are saying to stay away altogether because they may not work smoothly. Others are saying to wait because there are new systems coming out on the market that are web based. If that is the case, should I just stick to Philips Ipronto remote and upgrade later)
    5) Different people have suggested the following projectors but the most highly regarded was the DWIN in this price range. Which is the best one in the group in your opinions.
    a. DWIN - DLT - Vision 2 - b. JVC - D-ILA G150CL - c. Sony - VPL VW 12 - d. SharpVision - XVZ10000
    6)MultiDisc DVD Player - Sony - 300 + 1 DVD Progressive Scan - DVP CX 875P
    7)High Definition Dish Network Reciever
    8)Dish Network Tivo PVR Reciever
    9)Voltage Regulator - Monster - AVS 2000
    10)PA System - I need to pick out a reliable system for the large events at my home. The PA system should include the EQ, Mixing Board (which you had suggested Maggie) and 4-6 Microphones (wireless infrared) The microphone should be durable also because if it drops during a performance, I don't want to have to constantly replace them. Are there protective covers that would be suggestable.
    11)What types of wires should I insist on for this projects?
    12)What should I ask for in the gaurantees and service agreements when I purchase these items and how long should I extend these warranties for?
    13)What items will I need if I wanted to have computer and game console (xbox and playstation 2 for my kids) connectivity to my projector.
    14)Between the three Progressive Scan DVD Recorders on the market (the Panasonic, Philips and Pioneer), which one is the best one in terms of speed to record, and accessory connections.

I want to make sure that what I buy now will be expandable and upgradable. With the rapid development of todays products, I don't want to get killed on the prices just to have the newest technology and therefore you will see that I went for some of the more moderately priced items on the components and projector. I am working with a good dealer who is getting me solid prices on each of the items so please recommend items of similar quality and price level. Also, please tell me the price that you feel I should be paying for these products.

I really want to enjoy my space and I want my guests and family to enjoy it more. I don't want to make the same mistakes I originally made on the HT this time around so any advice, critique or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
    :roll:
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

where I have about 200-300 people seted in my basement (which is really an auditorium). The basement is about 4000 sq. ft
    8O
    Darshan, welcome to the Guide! You have an unusual problem just from the scale of your area. About the only things I can contribute are:

1) Be aware of the possible extra costs with the Synthesis line. If I understand correctly, there is a good bit of in-room tuning by the installer necessary to get the best from this system.

2) The Dwin line has some good components. My brother-in-law installed the 500-series projector and transcanner. Projected onto a 96" (?) screen, it produced a uniformly excellent image. I haven't seen a 700-series system so I can't comment on it.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Darshan
      :roll:
      Here's my list.

1)JBL Synthesis 1 or Genelec Speaker system - (I can't find much in terms of reviews on these systems and I want to hear the system before I commit to this kind of money. If anyone can suggest which of the two are better and where I can hear them out around the New Jersey/New York area, it would really help)
      2)Stewart Motorized Firehawk Tension Screen - 140-160 inches
      3)I need to decide between the DWIN Projector and the
      4)AMX or Crestron - (Everyone has a different opinion and some people are saying to stay away altogether because they may not work smoothly. Others are saying to wait because there are new systems coming out on the market that are web based. If that is the case, should I just stick to Philips Ipronto remote and upgrade later)
      5) Different people have suggested the following projectors but the most highly regarded was the DWIN in this price range. Which is the best one in the group in your opinions.
      a. DWIN - DLT - Vision 2 - b. JVC - D-ILA G150CL - c. Sony - VPL VW 12 - d. SharpVision - XVZ10000
      6)MultiDisc DVD Player - Sony - 300 + 1 DVD Progressive Scan - DVP CX 875P
      7)High Definition Dish Network Reciever
      8)Dish Network Tivo PVR Reciever
      9)Voltage Regulator - Monster - AVS 2000
      10)PA System - I need to pick out a reliable system for the large events at my home. The PA system should include the EQ, Mixing Board (which you had suggested Maggie) and 4-6 Microphones (wireless infrared) The microphone should be durable also because if it drops during a performance, I don't want to have to constantly replace them. Are there protective covers that would be suggestable.
      11)What types of wires should I insist on for this projects?
      12)What should I ask for in the gaurantees and service agreements when I purchase these items and how long should I extend these warranties for?
      13)What items will I need if I wanted to have computer and game console (xbox and playstation 2 for my kids) connectivity to my projector.
      14)Between the three Progressive Scan DVD Recorders on the market (the Panasonic, Philips and Pioneer), which one is the best one in terms of speed to record, and accessory connections.

I want to make sure that what I buy :roll:
      1) Have heard a few positive comments about Genelecs, but not really qualified to answer on this one
      2) If you mean a rollup screen, I was under the impression they do not do tab-tensioned that large, 106" diagonal was the limit. I may be wrong though. Firehawk works better with longer throw to avoid hotspotting, and is designed for projectors being ceiling mounted to maintain it higher gain performance.
      3) or 5) Not very knowledgeable about the DWIN. The Sharp and the Sony are in very different price classes though. If you are doing a screen as large as you suggested, you will need a completely dark room to get an image that size. I would eliminate the Sony. It is an LCD unit similar in performance to my Sanyo PLV70 only the Sony is dimmer. I do not think the image at 140" would compare to the other units you have listed. The CL150 has the advantage that it is calibrated and adjusted quite well out of the box, as its intended market is screening rooms and such for studios. The Sharp will provide a similar quality picture, better contrast, probably slightly inferior color fidelity (DLP vs. DILA). One issue with the Sharp, though, is as it is a single chip DLP, it will have the rainbow and color dithering issues which may bother some of your guests or family members. You should really do some research on projectors before maknig this decision.
      4) No real knowledge of Crestron. We install AMX systems in our shows where I work, and some friends running an installtion HT business have gone with them too. As you said, different opinions.
      6) You might want to go with something like an Escient system rather than just the Sony, unless they have fixed their menu system for their jukeboxes. It was pretty bad last I heard.
      7-8) Dish and JVC are rumored to be finishing a dual tuner HD receiver with a large disk recorder in it. I'd check on the planend rollout of that unit.
      9) No experience
      10) and on - not really qualified to give a good opinion.

BB

Comment

• Darshan
        • Jan 2003

Dear David and BB,

I really appreciate your advice. I am still a little confused because the size of this project and because I am not a professional in the industry. It has been fun scanning the internet but it has given me a little bit of information overload. I am also having a lot of difficulty finding people who have done similar sized theaters, even amongst the professionals and they don't seem to understand my vision. I am willing to spend the money but if it is going to cost me this much, I really want to know what it is I am buying.

I would love to know what other sources you use (online magazines, websites, forums, etc.) for doing your projects. Thanks so much for taking out the time and going through my post. It was such a long message that I did not think many people would respond. I really appreciate it though. When it is all done, I will be sure to post pictures of the theater. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Darshan Lakhani

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Do you have pictures of the room you have to work with? that would likely help a lot. With the type of install you're looking at doing a professional custom installer would likely be very helpful in getting it all together...that's not to say you should do your homework just that most of us haven't delt with projects on that scale

Comment

• John LaCava
            • Sep 2002

I was looking at Genelecs for my HT/HIFI, but in the end I went for the Mackie HR824. These mackies have been reviewed extremely favorably as active monitors and against Genelec

And at less than 1/2 half the price. Thes speakers have rock solid flat frequency response. Bass is so clean and controlled and soo deep it can rock the walls down. Meanwhile Highs are crisp and bright but not harsh. I can turn the volume up high enough to blow your head off and the sound is CRYSTAL CLEAR, the Amplification if not only powerful, but a perfect match with no distortion or clipping under the most demanding block party requirements.

I tested a great deal of speakers before I chose these which I'd be happy to tell you about another time. I was simply writing to tell you to consider these HR824s if you were thinking Genelec. You won't be disappointed and you probably save a chunk of cash.

Lemme know if you want to know more.

Cheers,
            John

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

If you you want the broadest number of opinions on projectors, screens and scalers, many of them very expert, go here:

Hi-end digital projector questions and answers. These are projectors with price tags generally GREATER THAN $3,000 MSRP.

There are people there with budgets like yours. You will get more helpful responses, though, if the people there believe you have done some research using the search function before just asking basic questions.

It sounds like what you really want, however, is to get yourself a really good contractor/consultant. Then let him figure all this out for you. Since you tried this route once and got burned, I would ask here and at other forums for some advice along that line. Then also do your own research and when you find a good candidate, tell him what you have in mind from your research, and see if he agrees or refutes your choices intelligently and honestly, or tries to fast talk you into stuff he carries. That way you have a check to judge him(/her) against.

BB

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"