X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yukon.denali
    • Dec 2004

Need your inputs on the B&W 700 & Rotel

Folks,

I am new to the Hi-Fi world and planning to purchurse my first stereo system recently. Here is the configuration I am thinking of:
    o A pair of B&W 704
    o Rotel RC-1070 pre-amp
    o Rotel RB-1080 power-amp
    o Rotel RLC-900 AC line filter and power sequencer

I need some comments from you guys:
    o Would you think these components can match each other. Can you think of any better configuration for this amount of money?
    o I am also considering the B&W 703, which is $800 more a pair. Would you think the 703 is worth of the money?
    o I am also considering the Sonus Faber Grand Piano, which is big jump in price.

Any comments are highly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

-Alan
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Yukon,

My 2 cents:

Listen carefully to the 703 as well as the 704 - they sound quite different. I strongly prefer the 703 - clearer midrange...

The Rotels will drive this as well as anything I know for the price. There are better amps from companies like Krell, Parasound, Bryston etc for significantly (often double) more $

The Sonus Faber's are quite different in sound to the 703s. In Aussie they are the same price (or a little less). I like the accuracy of the 703s but the Sonus Fabers have a special sweeness about them.... You really need to listen...

Lastly based on a number of posts here there is clearly (for many ears) a marked step up again in stereo quality with the RC-1090 preamp over the RC-1070 (not that the 1070 is bad - its just that you get value for the extra $ for the 1090) so that too is worth a listen..

Geoff

Comment

• yukon.denali
      • Dec 2004

Geoff,

Thanks for the reply. I am going to do a comparison listen on 703 and 704 over the weekend.

The sweeness of the Sonus Faber is what we like. However, here in the states, a pair of Grand Piano is $3700 (MSRP), while a pair of 703 is listed at $3000. It's a tough decision to make.

-Alan

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Alan,

Cool...

Share your thoughts on the listening how you found the 704 and 703 - this is a subject of interest to a lot - some love the 704, others (like me) find it just not quite right compared to the 703 sound..

Geoff

Comment

• KEF
          • Aug 2004

Hey Alan

I currently have a pair of N804s, driven by a RB-1080 and the amp does a very nice job. My source is an RCD-1072 (fwiw), so I would think that it would drive your 703s or 4s without an issue.

I can't comment on the line filter, but as far a s the pre am goes, you really need to listen to them on your set-up.

I was very close to adding the 1070 to my system and I spent a considerable amount of time listening to several different amps. I was truly amazed by the difference that there units made to the overall experience. The 1070 is a capable pre, and it is affordable - but there are much better (again, IMO) in the sub 2K ball park - especially if you are willing to buy used kit.

Do yourself a favor and demo several preamps - try the 1090, which, IMO, on the system I have did a significantly better job than the 1070, you can also get a Bryston BP-25 on the used market for around 1K as well.

Regards,
          Keith

Comment

• yukon.denali
            • Dec 2004

Hi Geoff and Keith,

Thanks for your inputs. After listening the B&W and Rotel for two more weekends at the dealers, I decided to go with what you have suggested. Here is what I ended up buying:

o A pair of B&W 703
            o Rotel RC-1090 Pre-amp
            o Rotel RB-1080 Power-amp

For the last two weekends, I went to the B&W dealer to listen the 703 and 704 side-by-side. I must agree the 703 sounds much better than 704, with clear and detail midrange and tight bass. The dealer then let me take the 703 back home one night, it did sound good in our house as well.

I could not do a side-by-side comparison between the RC-1070 and RC-1090 pre-amp. But I went through Keith's posts and several other posts on this topic here. I think I am conviced that RC-1090 is a more logical choice.

I did not buy the RLC-900 line filter this time. The reason for that is I am not sure how much difference it will make. Maybe I will make it as a future improvement.

The dealer has to order the system for us, hopefully, we can enjoy the setup in our house once the shipment arrives.

Now I need to buy some cables for it, so I need your help again. Just wondering what kind (and brand) of cable should I use:
            o Do you use bi-wire?
            o Do you use the spade or the banana plug?
            o Can you guys suggest some cable brands that I use with the B&W and Rotel?

Thanks so much for your help!

-Alan

Comment

• Rags
              • Aug 2003

Completely agree with the man from Oz on this one (sorry about the Rugby World Cup : ). A good decision imo. The 704 is not slouch but the FST in the 703 is supposed to make a big positive difference

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Alan,
                Do Do you use bi-wire?
                Absolutely! B&W recommend it in their manuals for the 700 and 800 series as "improving the resolution of low level detail". A cheap investment...
                Do you use the spade or the banana plug?
                I like the banana since this allows the use of stiff cables and routes the cables away from the back of the ampligier or speaker quickly, but spade works well if you get a quality one with the V fitting notch etc... It's a 50/50 thing really - both will do the job electrically if of similar quality.
                Can you guys suggest some cable brands that I use with the B&W and Rotel?
                Not really... General cable discussions are not allowed under the forum guidelines... However, forum sponsor www.catcables.com makes some great value / quality cables which are used by many members for their Rotel and B&W equipment (you can do a search or post in the Cat Cables forum here). I use their interconnects and love them... Others use the catcables bi-wire speaker cables and recommend them. Otherwise speak to your dealer and compare by listening...

Geoff

Comment

• Mitchell
                  • Sep 2004

Hi Alan,
                  I have alsmost the same setup as you except i stayed with the 1070. I am generally very happy with it all.
                  I felt there was a big difference between the 703 and 704 and went with the 703 as well.
                  I found there was a definite breakin period and after a few weeks the sound seemed richer. I would be interested to hear your comments on the sound over time. I also got the Rotel tuner and cd player so its the whole rotel/b&w deal.
                  good luck and enjoy.
                  Mitchell

Comment

• toossie
                    • Mar 2004

Funny that you all have chosen the 703's. I have auditioned both the 703 and 704's as well, but where I was really impressed by the 704's, I was not by the 703's. I found the 704's more laid-back (maybe too much for some of you), more relaxed. It justed felt better in my opinion. I agree about most parts about the differences you described above, but I just didn't like it very much.
                    Well, it's all about the ears I think. As long as we are all happy with our decision..........

Comment

• DanR
                      • Dec 2004

That seems like a fine set-up to me. I would however recommend the RB-1080 over the 1070. If your budget allows, check out the RC-1090 as well. It is a big improvement. But I would definitely choose the 1080 over the 1070. It will make the whole system sound better.
                      :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• Mitchell
                        • Sep 2004

I meant the RC 1070 and the Rb 1080 AMP.
                        Mitchell

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"