X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

600s3 or 601s3 for surround duty?

I just received a pr of 603s3's last week and am in the process of upgrading mismatched center(def.tech c2) to eithr lcr60 or lcr600 probably the lcr600.After getting the center i will be contemplating changing my present surrounds (def.tech. Pro 100's) to either the 600s3 or 601s3.Would there be much of a difference between the 600 and 601 if its going to be for surround duty.I heard the 600 would be alot easier to mount but i would like to get the better option when i'm able to afford them.Using rotel rsx1056 by the way.thanks
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

That's a tough call, first thing is where do you plan on having your crossover set at? I recommend you A/B them with a high pass crossover set @ ~80Hz and see if there is a difference that YOU can hear. If there isn't, save yourself the money and buy better cables or some new movies.

The 600s are definately made to be mounted on the wall.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

I went through the same thing just about a month ago. I bought 600s for surrounds, but then exchanged them for 602s. I moved my 3 month old 601s as surrounds and 602s as mains. They're both really close, but I decided to use the 601s. If you interested, I'll sell you my 601s(in black) for a good price.

Junior77blue's suggestion is really good, alot of it has to do with your x-over settings. One thing about the 600s is that, even though they're made to be wall mounted, they're rear ported. Which is kinda weird for a wall mounted speaker. And you should make sure you the spot you want them to wall mounted at, has beams or studs there.

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

Yeah, not sure if the rear port is to help with base response being up against the wall like that or not.

Comment

• rick c
          • Aug 2004

They will definately have to be wall mounted.Would i be better off just using what i presently have the def.tech. promonitors they are not ported at all, the rear of the speakers are sealed.

Comment

• junior77blue
            • Nov 2004

i do not know anything about the def. tech., so I cannot comment on them. However, I do like to keep witin the same speaker manufacturer when doing a hometheater setup.

The best bet is for you to demo these speakers, crossed over a certain frequency (since they will be SMALL with either speaker) and up against a wall to see which sounds better to you.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

Why don't you just use the 601s then? The 601s are still light enough where you can get a speaker wall mount that doesn't require you to drill into the speaker itself. I have a set of wall mount that I can sell you also...hehehe

But, seriously....going with 601s, IMO will blend better with the 603s and LCR600 that you're planning on getting, because they all use the 6.5 inch drivers.
              I have 602s as mains right now, and I can tell through pink noise from receiver that the 602s don't quite match the 601s and LCR600s that I have. There's clearly a tonal difference. I wish they make a center channel that has the 7'' drivers also.

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

My vote is for the 601s, they are MUCH better than the 600s...

My friend has the 600s and we compared the 601s and 602s, there was no contest...infact he just went out and bought the 602s to replace the 600s.
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"