X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SE-Raider
    • Jan 2006

Modula MT In Wall

For a number of reasons, primarily visual aesthetics, active kids, and WAF, as well as the challenge of it, I'm considering doing a version of the Modula MT mounted in-wall. The cost effectiveness of the Reference drivers is very attractive. I will need to use the Modula MT over the MTM versions due to the more friendly impedance load for my Yamaha receiver. I would build enclosures of MDF for more predictable bass response and to minimize transference of sound and rattles, etc. I don't really care how much vertical space the speakers occupy as long as they can be visually appealing. My subwoofer will be mounted in the attic, with little or no space restriction, firing into the corner of the room.

There are a few challenges. First is the mounting dept of the RS180. Does the RS180 vent through the rear of the driver? If so what clearance would be safely needed? Another challenge is the depth of the driver with only a 2x4 width to work with, which would dictate some sort of surface mount faceplate which could not be flush with the wall. Another challenge is the visual aesthetic of the speaker; it either needs to be able to be painted to match the wall using a metal grille of some sort, or will have to stand alone as an architectural visual element in the room. Any suggestions here, or sources for grilles appreciated. Yet another challenge is the needed modifications to the crossover due to the flush mounting, which is beyond my ability, I would humbly admit.

Another possibilty as an alternative would be a line array of some sort (I'm watching the TC sounds situation closely) or some sort of MTM, MMTMM or WMTM. Given the depth constraints multiple smaller drivers may work better. I have looked at the Triad designs closely, as well as the Speakercraft and BG designs for inspiration, but for their cost, the DIY route seems to be a clearly better alternative.

Any help, suggestions, alternatives, constructive criticism is appreciated. I'm after as little sonic compromise as possible, given the application.
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

If your Yamaha receiver is one of the newer ones with built-in EQ, that will take care of the baffle step problems of flush-mounting and you won't need to change the crossover. What color are the walls? Can you find a grill cloth that's close? If so, you can let it stick out a bit both for the internal depth and for structural reasons to let the baffle span across two studs.

Comment

• yousuredo2
      • Jun 2006

"If" you need 'em to stick out some...
      a book case, faux colums, paneling, ect...
      would help hide 'em !
      My System
      ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
      ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
      ~ Onkyo tx sr805
      ~ Sony PS.3
      ~ Xbox 360
      ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
      ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
      ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
      ~ Behringer ep2500
      ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• SE-Raider
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
        If your Yamaha receiver is one of the newer ones with built-in EQ, that will take care of the baffle step problems of flush-mounting and you won't need to change the crossover. What color are the walls? Can you find a grill cloth that's close? If so, you can let it stick out a bit both for the internal depth and for structural reasons to let the baffle span across two studs.
        I have the RX-V659 which has the YPAO feature. Would prefer not to use eq to fix a problem if I can eliminate it on the front end, especially in the bass region. Thanks for the suggestion; would be simpler.

The room is a golden yellow color; little or no chance of finding a cloth that color. I would need to either have a face plate attractive enough not to need a grille, or a metal grille of some sort that can be painted to match, or would be interesting to look at in its own right.

Comment

• SE-Raider
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by yousuredo2
          "If" you need 'em to stick out some...
          a book case, faux colums, paneling, ect...
          would help hide 'em !
          Know of any examples were this has been done well?

Comment

• yousuredo2
            • Jun 2006

I have seen a site or two...
            where faux collums & bookshelves were used, but I dont have a link though...
            One was a high end job, or high end company, showing off there work...
            collums looked liked halves of a square collum sticking out staind/painted grill closth was faux painted to match...Had to look real hard to see it...
            My System
            ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
            ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
            ~ Onkyo tx sr805
            ~ Sony PS.3
            ~ Xbox 360
            ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
            ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
            ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
            ~ Behringer ep2500
            ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• JoshK
              • Mar 2005

I would think a quasi in-wall/on-wall style could look really nice, where the baffle sticks out 1-3" with nice roundovers and painted to match walls and the majority of the depth is in wall.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"