X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The Maggie Projects #1, MMG/MMG-W mounted in-wall

As explained in the link below, this is a 4'X3' mock-up section of standard drywall construction

It's unfinished because I ran out of finish trim. And since this is a mockup, I wasn't going to run out to buy more trim just to turn around and throw it away.

Here are nearfield (green) and 1 meter (blue) measurements.

The rest of the details are in the link below. If you're on dial-up, be patient since there are quite a few pics..

The Maggie Projects #1, MMG-W mounted in-wall

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • chasw98
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I have a question (s). Is the trim removable to allow access to the rear of the speaker? Don't the Maggies have a fuse on the rear where the terminals are? If there is a fuse, would it be worth it to rewire the maggies so that the fuse is easily accesible without removing the trim?
    Or is this jumping the gun and the finer details will be worked out if the mockup proves worthy of building for real in a home?

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The MMG-W aren't fused. The other models are fused, it's mounted in the input plate, so one certainly could relocate it.

I just used a finish nailer to attach the trim. One could certainly put it on with finish screws if the need was there to access the back of the speaker.

I built the mock-up because I have no need for in-walls. I was curious how they'd sound.

I think this is an interesting option for those with planar mains that don't have enough room to place surround planars in the room.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

So, how did it sound? It sounds like it might even be possible to angle it out from the wall with a little bit of work if so desired. Remember those speakers way back when that you could get that had a painting on them?

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
          I think this is an interesting option for those with planar mains that don't have enough room to place surround planars in the room.
          Indeed... I run Martin Logans in the front 3 channels but due to space constraints, I've got some Maggies hanging on the wall in the rear. They do a good job.
          Danish

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by chasw98
            So, how did it sound? It sounds like it might even be possible to angle it out from the wall with a little bit of work if so desired. Remember those speakers way back when that you could get that had a painting on them?
            They sound like what one would expect from the plot, smooth but no bottom-end. Midrange and top end is pretty sweet.

One could pivot them out from a finished recess. Might make it easier aim at the listener.

I think there still is speaker where one can paint the grill. There's one company that puts paintings on the grill cloth.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"