X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b&Wman
    • Nov 2004

need advice selecting new B&W speakers

I'm planning to upgrade my front speakers in the next several months. I currently have B&W CDM 1NTs as fronts, and although I like the sound, I find them lacking in bass, and my older cheaper sub doesn't integrate well with the B&Ws and muddies the bass.

My recent upgrades are an Odyssey Audio Stratos Plus amp (which will power the new B&Ws) and an Onkyo SP 1000 Universal Player. Both, IMHO, excellent purchases.

I'm debating on the following models: current 804N, and the upcoming 804S or upcoming 803S.

I don't have much space. My music room is only 13ft x 18ft and due to space constraints, the effective HT area is only 13ft x 10ft.

I use my system for 70% music, 30% HT.

I like many different types of music, particularly classical. I'm leaning toward the new 804S, but am not sure if it'll be that much better than the current 804N. Also, how much better would the 803S be in bass? Anything larger than that is too $$ for me and too large.

Finally, given my source and amp, so you think the nautilus line would be a significant improvement over my bookshelf CDM 1NTs? Yes, what was once the prize in my system may now be the bottleneck.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

If you can afford it, the 803s will be better since you mostly listen to music. Im pretty sure the general concensus will agree.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• b&Wman
      • Nov 2004

I might have to wait an extra month or so, but yeah, I could afford the 803s. I was wondering if the size of the 803's would be overkill for my room. Due to space constraints, the main listening area is 7' between front speakers and 7' from the front drive axis to the listening position. I don't use a center channel, since why was the extra $ when HT isn't as important as music.

I'm pretty sure my Odyssey can keep up with the 803s. What makes the 803 so much better than the 804? Now that I'm definitely interested in hearing. Although I plan on upgrading anyway, I'd like to hear (from anyone who's heard both) the difference between the CDM 1NT and the 804 and 803.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

The 804's are a great speaker and if HT was more of a concern, I might suggest the 804's but the 803's are more efficient and due to their larger drivers will compensate in the lower regions better than the 804's. I can definately hear my 804's strain when trying to play the ravi shankar part in the tribute to george DVD where Im sure it would be less of an issue with the 803's. Im sure at some point Stan will chime in since he actuall A/B'd the two in an audio setting.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• b&Wman
          • Nov 2004

Well, I'll definitely give both the 804 and 803 a look. My main concern is that the 803s will be too large for my room, but I'm not sure yet. Finally, what is everyone's opinion. Will the new 804S and 803S be significantly better than the current 804N and 803N? The 803D is too large and is above my price range, so I'm not looking at that one.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"