CDM 1nt - with one sub, two subs, or upgrade speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dutch BW
    • Feb 2007

CDM 1nt - with one sub, two subs, or upgrade speakers?

I now listen to the CDM 1nt on their own, sounds really good but am missing bottem end frequencies. These speakers go down to 60hz, as a reference a 805s reaches 49hz.

Would it be wise to:

a - Ad one good sub (for instance a asw700)
    b - Ad two subs but a bit less expensive ones (my thought would be two asw608 or asw610)
    c - Upgrade speakers (805s, cdm 9nt, 804n, etc)

So i'm into stereo, but sometimes I use the CDM's when I watch movies. Don't know if I would go to a HT system, probably not...

Your advice is appreciated!

:T
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

I'd say a nice new pair of 703s would suit your stereo listening very well.
    Brad

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

1. what are your bass preferences, music taste and listening style (ie casual listening to eimenemenem loud and boomy in a large room, or world music, jazz and classical on the couch with a glass of vino (or bud) etc etc at moderate level)
      2. what sort of room (big small brick timber flat mansion)
      3. what is the rest of your system (from the wall socket to the speaker cable)

If you were running my system with my fairly eclectic musical taste and moderate (80dB) listening levels I would say 805s or N804 would work a treat. I left my sub behind when I moved my 705s to the rear and embraced a music first philosphy.

Lots of folks will tell you otherwise and that suits their taste - they will say go the ASW700 - although to my ears the ASW675 was a more exciting punchy sub for less dollars. But bass is only part of the audio spectrum and subs are not really about music to my mind. Great for parties, great for rocking out, can add weight to a system that is lacking, but I prefer a well sorted system with good bass over doof for doofs sake - at least as a long term proposition (hey doof can be fun if done well)
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Dutch BW
        • Feb 2007

I listen to classical, jazz, world, pop. Listening level sometimes might be slighty above normal (whatever that this).

Amp Rotel rb980, Preamp rc990, CDP rcd971, inakustik speakercable Biwire, no line filters. Room is hard (concrete), but softened with large couch, curtains, woolen rug on top of a hard floor. Room is a bit hard at day time when the curtains are open, at night the sound is more laid back with curtains closed. I'm not planning to change my room into a studio or hang pillows all over the place.

Since the cdm only reaches 60hz a upgrade to a 805s (49hz) could be considered a good leap. I've heard them couple of times, outstounding bass for their size and some people still say it's lacking bass I've also heard 804s 803s 803n and 802d multiple times.

The 703 is a speaker (range) which didn't at all pull a trigger for me. I'm not saying my cdm's sound better but it sure wouldn't be a an upgrade the way I see/hear it. From the 700 series I kind of preferred the sound of 705 above their larger siblings, but it's not my series...

Remains the 800 series??? and no sub for the time being...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"