X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • big-audiophile
    • Nov 2004

Some Pointers re New & Old 800 Series

Hi Guy's

I have seen all your discussion regarding the new 800 series II. Just wanted to give you a few pointers regarding the old & the new 800 series.

The factory has stopped making 800 series I, about two months ago there will be very little stock of this in your shops come Jan, so If you like series I buy it now before it's all gone!

800 series II is not just an upgrade, everything is new: -

New tweeters (All new parts)
    New Bass/Mid Drivers (All new parts)
    New Heads (All Moulds)
    New Grilles (New Designs)
    New Cabinets (New Colours, One Piece, Shapes)
    New Cabinet Plinths (Better Shaped To The Products)
    New Crossovers
    New Packaging
    Plus New models!

Everything is new.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

You speak as though you have a really good inside source, or are one. what more can you tell us?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

you miss the newer prices part too...unless the rumored price increase is just speculations.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

my dealer already received pricing and said it isnt as dramatic as he thought so I would guess what we have is pretty accurate.

If B&W allows the dealers to sell demo stock cheap, I am going to make a stab at a pair of 802's and forgo the SCM's for the time being.

Comment

• uncle_git
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by sikoniko
          my dealer already received pricing and said it isnt as dramatic as he thought so I would guess what we have is pretty accurate.

If B&W allows the dealers to sell demo stock cheap, I am going to make a stab at a pair of 802's and forgo the SCM's for the time being.
          802's - 802D looks like a 50% price increase - unless the info here is wrong - I'd say that's pretty dramatic.. :B

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

yes, the diamond models take a dramatic price increase, but the S models aren't as significant.

Comment

• gostan
              • May 2003

I am going to wait to demo the new S models and compare them soundwise to my current 800 series speakers. The Diamond models look to be at another entire level price-wise. I wonder how different an S-model 803 will sound from the 803 Series I models. It appears to me that B&W public relations raves are more about the new Diamond models, than the S models.

Sikoniko, good choice to go after the 802's - if the price is right.
              Stan

Comment

• bcgator
                • Nov 2004

I'm having the same thoughts about the "old" 805 Signatures and the new 805S. I've got an opportunity to pick up some Sigs at a good price, and I'm seriously considering it, even with the new 805S right around the corner.

I've seen it written several times in other posts that the 805S will be "substantially" better than the 805 Signatures. "Substantially" is the word I keep seeing, and questioning. Is substantially being quantified by the size of the new features list, or do we really think there will be a substantial difference in sound quality between the old and new? I'm a little skeptical that the difference will be that dramatic, but then maybe my ears are just untrained. To me, "substantial" is the difference between a set of Polk Audio bookshelves and the 805 bookshelves. Maybe I'll be wrong, and an A/B comparison of 805 Sigs and 805S will leave people stunned at the improvement.

But as someone who's made a living writing marketing/PR/ad copy for the past 10 years, I know it's sometimes too easy to use words like "dramatic" and "substantial" and "overwhelming" in an effort to create marketing buzz and excitement. Not that the new series won't be amazing, but it may be too soon for current Nautilus owners (or prospective Nautilus buyers) to be throwing their speakers out the windows.

BCGator

Comment

• mrkiko
                  • Nov 2004

Not to mention that in Europe they are alerady about 50% more expensive, if you consider the current $ / € exchange, that is 1.3.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

BC Gator,
                    but it may be too soon for current Nautilus owners (or prospective Nautilus buyers) to be throwing their speakers out the windows.
                    I'd say it will always be too soon - they are magnificent speakers

And you are right - "substantially" may be "measuring 20% less distortion" or some similar characteristic that is (for the ear) seen as a minor improvement... Only time will tell

Geoff

Comment

• JJK
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by big-audiophile
                      Hi Guy's

I have seen all your discussion regarding the new 800 series II. Just wanted to give you a few pointers regarding the old & the new 800 series.

The factory has stopped making 800 series I, about two months ago there will be very little stock of this in your shops come Jan, so If you like series I buy it now before it's all gone!

800 series II is not just an upgrade, everything is new: -

New tweeters (All new parts)
                      New Bass/Mid Drivers (All new parts)
                      New Heads (All Moulds)
                      New Grilles (New Designs)
                      New Cabinets (New Colours, One Piece, Shapes)
                      New Cabinet Plinths (Better Shaped To The Products)
                      New Crossovers
                      New Packaging
                      Plus New models!

Everything is new.

Any idea what the new grilles will look like for the 803S, 805S, and HTM3? Will they still cover the entire front of the speaker?

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

Well, I spoke to my dealer and he did say he was able to discount his demo's, but he couldnt offer me anything on his 802's that was in my budget. I then asked if about it I upgraded my current 804's to the new 803s and htm3 and he said he would upgrade my 804's but he wouldnt be able to do the htm1 to htm3 because he would be upside down on the htm1.

He said he doesnt really recommend me upgrading to the new SCM's because the tweeter will be different and I should try and stick with my current series. I then asked him about discounts from warehouse stock and he is going to look into that for me. I may try to get a pair of 803's if he can get a discount, but I am not expecting that. I will most likely try to get myself a pair of SCM1's and call it a day for my speakers for the next 10 years minimally. I won't be too disappointed if that is what I end up with. They certainly are not bad speakers by any stretch. I watched spiderman 2 (superbit) last night and I still get excited and am deeply impressed with my sound when I watch movies so I can't complain. I guess the weak link in my chain will be my pre. Too bad I have run out of money. oh well, again, I can't complain.

Comment

• gostan
                          • May 2003

Sikoniko:

You are 100% correct when you say that "they are certainly not bad speakers by any stretch". But I think that you are being a little too critical of the sound of your speakers because there is something new (that may be better) around the corner (two months away). We do not yet know what the new 800S series will sound like in comparison with the existing 800 series. I assume that the new series may sound better than the existing series, but maybe the sound differences outside of the new diamond series will not be that substantially different and the differences may be more in the type of construction of the new speakers with less distortion. Maybe..maybe..maybe.

All I know is that all of this hoopla over the new series, while upsetting to those of us who always want to be on the cutting edge, has caused me to listen even closer to my 803's, HTM1 & ASW850 sub and I love the way that they sound, just as you do your 804's and HTM1 & ASW850. Enjoy what you have and keep listening to the beautiful sounds in your listening room.

I too am trying to decide if I should upgrade my CDM1NT rears to the existing 805's or SCM1's, or if I should wait for the new 805's,etc., but my anxiety over thinking about upgrading my speakers has just about come to a halt. I think that I will start saving for a new HD-DVD player to deal with the new HD-DVD's coming out next year. Point being there is no end to the constant upgrading fever we all suffer. Sit back and listen and watch and enjoy.

Stan
                          Stan

Comment

• luszer
                            • Feb 2003

spoke with my dealer today and he mentioned new sealed box, current 800 line running at around 20% discount. I'm hoping to push for 30% and pick up the 800 sub, the 850 is way too large for my listening room.

He also confirmed the price increase, right on par with what has been mentioned.

Happy listening

Ron

Comment

• junior77blue
                              • Nov 2004

New 20%?

Called a local dealer today, thought he was doing me a favor offering 20% off demo stock.

Comment

• srb
                                • Oct 2004

I called a dealer today also, and was offered 15% off DEMO 803, 804!

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"