X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

question about possible 6.1 option

Well, I've told everyone to death what I will do with 5.1 so no sense in repeating. What I have been wondering is a possible 6th speaker to create a 6.1 setup.

I wanted to see what people thought of the idea of using a DS7 as a 6th channel. I was thinking that since it is a dipole, it would not necessarily direct all the sound straight ahead and would work. This is of course if I could get the dealer to sell me just one.

The one big problem with this idea would be that it would only be a foot to 2 feet behind the listening position. Would that be too close to make it worthwhile, or since it is dipole, would that compensate enough to make it worth it?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I, for one, have never been a big fan of Dipole (yet other's are the exact opposite, they love them). To me, and this is just my personal opinion), the dipole sends the information that was meant for that channel towards the left rear and right rear channels. But the way all the 6.1 discs are made is with a monopole speaker with information specifically supposed to come from that position. That's the way they (the sound engineers) designed the disc.

Course I don't use any DSP stuff while listing either where lots of people do.

I think it's just a personal preference. If it's only about 2' behind you as long as it's calibrated (most likely will turn it down a lot), there shouldn't be any problem and it will probably add to your experience.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"