X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glimmer
    • Aug 2004

very faint hissing sound from N802

Hi all,

I have acquired a pair of N802 and noticed that there is a very faint hissing sound emitting from the tweeter. You got to place your ear very close to realise that there is a very soft hissing sound. And it happens only to the right speaker but not the left one.

Question: is there anything wrong with the N802 speakers?
    How to get rid of the hissing sound - although it is very very faint/soft, but the feeling is not good especially if you know that the system is not behaving normally.

Regards.
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

Speakers don't hiss, amplifiers and electronics do.
    So if there's hiss coming from the right speaker, that means either your right amplifier channel is creating it or one of your sources like the CD player.
    And a very little amount of hiss at 10 cm from the tweeter is perfectly normal, even for expensive systems.
    So IF there is something wrong, it's definately not the speakers.

Comment

• glimmer
      • Aug 2004

Thanks!

DrBoom,

thanks for yur reply! I had to place my ears less than 1cm, literally touching the tweeter in order to hear the hiss. So I would presume this is normal - am I right? Can we eliminate totally the hiss?

regards.

Comment

• DrBoom
        • Dec 2003

Wow, if it's only at 1 cm, then you should consider yourself lucky.
        What amplifier/CD/... do you have ?
        Eliminating hiss completely as in not hearing it with your ear against the tweeter is virtually impossible.
        First of all you'd need a very very expensive amp that doesn't create hiss, coupled with a source that doesn't hiss either.
        Then you'd need a perfect 230V or 120V dedicated circuit for your equipment, preferable a dedicated one for the poweramp, one for the preamp and one for the CD player.
        Then all those circuits would have to be heavily filtered by mains filters, or even regenerated by line regenerators.
        All mains cables to your systems would have to be 100% EM and RF shielded, so they don't pick up or radiate any electrical noise.
        And even then it would be tricky not to get any hiss at all.

Maybe with a full digital amplifier you could get away with it, because there is n't a single analog stage in the chain to generate noise.
        I'd think something like a TacT Millennium (fully digital poweramp) driven by a TacT RCS (digital preamp/room correction system) and a top-notch CD transport (DCS Verdi or something like that) connected through an AES/EBU balanced digital cable, that combined would be pretty quiet. (i think)
        This way the signal stays 100% digital from within the CD transport right to the output filter in the poweramp where it is sent to the speakers.

Anyway, you're very lucky to have such little hiss, you should hear my system... (RSP1098 pre/pro) :roll:

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"