Does a scratch on a N802 tweeter affect sound?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amarkus1
    • Jun 2005

Does a scratch on a N802 tweeter affect sound?

Just picked up a set of demoed N802. Very clean speaker except for a scratch on the aluminum tweeter dome. There is no indentation, just a fairly deep surface scratch. Does this affect the sound? Should the tweeter be changed? I have not gotten the speakers delivered yet, so can not test the sound at home. Sounded great in the store, but only noticed scratch after we disconnected the speakers, so was not listening for a problem.
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

If you purchased those speakers from a dealer they will replace it for free. And if they say they cant they are not being honest with you.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I agree, even if I got a pair of demoed N802, a scratch in the tweeter I would have the dealer replace it.

Note it should not effect the sound much...but for me, because I'm nitpicky...and when paying the prices for those speakers...I want perfection! hee he
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• misterdoggy
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

I would insist on replacing it. You have to consider it greatly affects the resale value. Its a sign that the previous owner was not meticulous or careful, which indicates other potential misuse. We all have little things that happen to our equipment that we regret, but its more acceptable if 'I' did the scratch then someone else.

Comment

• Amarkus1
          • Jun 2005

Thanks for the feedback. I put a call into the dealer to discuss getting it replaced. Now if I get it replaced should I replace them on both speakers so they have even wear? I am sure the tweeter on the other speaker will be my expense.

Comment

• RNKC
            • Jun 2005

You should probably check the speakers very very carefully. How the heck does one scratch the tweeter dome anyway? First it would be necessary to remove the cage, then I'd imagine one would need to have something fairly hard to scratch it with. Makes you wonder what the rest of the speaker is like. Did the dealer drop the speaker at some point in its life?

Comment

• Amarkus1
              • Jun 2005

Other than the scratch the speaker is in pristine condition. So I do not think it was dropped or abused. Probably a potential customer's wife's big diamond ring as she said what's this.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"