Is it normal for speakers while the amp is on to hiss when nothing is playing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Is it normal for speakers while the amp is on to hiss when nothing is playing?

My tweaters on the 805s are hissing while nothing is played through the computer via headphone jack.. is this normal? I'm just very nervous on my tweeters hissing because I dont want them to short out or anything from this.. my dealer told me one time only exchange.. next time I'll have to replace and pay 400 for new tweaters
  • jericho
    • Dec 2004

Ground loop problem???Disconnect the grounding from your amp and try again!!

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jericho
      Ground loop problem???Disconnect the grounding from your amp and try again!!
      Or maybe ask your dealer to look at it if it is loud.

I thought that a ground loop was a loud hum not a hiss. There are lots of amps that hiss at low levels because that is just what they do. If you step back a metre you cannot hear it and it is considered "normal". I get a little noise from my amp but I am 99% sure its the mini transformer on the power pole outside - they both hum the same tune, but its pretty low level. Last night I thought it was louder so I turned off the amp and the sound as still there - the wind was blowing the sound of the transformer outside into my lounge room. No its not that loud, my street is dead quiet at 11pm.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• dknightd
        • Mar 2006

Probably coming from the headphone jack on the mac.

Comment

• jack667
          • Jul 2007

Yeah I'd check all connections (TURN OFF FIRST!) - a loose jack cable will hiss and buzz
          B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• george_k
            • Jan 2004

I can hear hiss from my receiver if I sit within 3 meters even with the volume turned way down. If I crank it up to max volume with no input source it still hisses except that its much louder and noticeable from the sitting area. I assume what I'm hearing is the receiver's noise floor. I've lived in 3 difference spots in this city and have used 3 different receivers (all under $1000) and in all instances I hear hiss.

Comment

• WI Rotel
              • Jul 2006

The hiss is probably from the amp/ receiver. It should be not noticeable unless you stick your ear very close to the tweeter. Another less likely possibility is a damaged tweeter, but then it should not affect both speakers. First try a line conditioner/filter Rotel makes one as do many other manufacturers, note this is not just a little box that goes directly on the electric plug its a component with real current filters you also connect your video line from your cable into it (cable lines are notoriously noisy). Other notorious AC line noisemakers are light dimmers, that is also cured by an AC line noise filter. If a noise filter doesn't cure the issue your receiver is either not very good or its damaged and a new amplification device is required.

Comment

• akhter
                • Jun 2005

its prolly the noisy analog line out from you mac. use a digital connection (optical or usb).

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
                  Why are all of you still catering to this person? If he lied to his dealer he will lie to us.

Sparky

Comment

• george_k
                    • Jan 2004

HI All,
                    Why are all of you still catering to this person? If he lied to his dealer he will lie to us.

Sparky
                    Because, it's good for your Karma, no pun intended ;-)

Comment

• wgriel
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by george_k
                      Because, it's good for your Karma, no pun intended ;-)
                      LOL!

I also think that to some degree that is the point of this forum. It's not like this place gets too much traffic as it is.

Bill

Comment

• jjahshik32
                        • Sep 2007

I bought a turtle beach audio advantage micro.. usb analog or digital out.. will that do the job?

Comment

• jjahshik32
                          • Sep 2007

i used a c-media usb audio for the mac pro but i dont know why the volume is so loud on only 1 or 2 notches on my mac pro

Comment

• jjahshik32
                            • Sep 2007

nevermind I switched to the line out on the mac pro.. still has a hiss noise when nothing is playing... probably cause I gota cheapo integrated amp.. lol

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"