How many of you have audiophile buddies ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Well, all my friends that I would actually consider audiophiles are also here on the Guide. Matter of fact, that's how I was introduced here, by talking with Erik Farstad.

Just about every guy I've ever met thinks that movies, music, and big freaking speakers and equipment are all cool. Being a pilot, I've found that pilots are even more so that way. (same thing with fast cars, too) But none of my pilot buddies I think really rise to the audio or videophile levels. Just guys that think it's groovy.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Trevor Schell
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The guys I communicate here on the HTG.
      I have met in person a handful every now and then.
      I have had the pleasure to spend Audio/HT evenings with Bing, Andrew,
      Jay and Gregg.
      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Hey duders!

Well my list of audiophile buddies is growing in full force! ...It's a lot of fun....but costly as you constantly analyize your system or hear something that could make it sound sweeter! :lol:
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• glangston@socal
          • May 2004

Never

met a girl who was an audiophile....never....not even close....talking about one that put their hard earned money into electronics.

Met some that like guns....beer.....motorcycles etc.

que?

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by glangston@socal
            met a girl who was an audiophile....never....not even close....talking about one that put their hard earned money into electronics.

Met some that like guns....beer.....motorcycles etc.

que?

I am not quite following you there buddy ?

I feel like Marlin in Finding Nemo when the little off spring was explaining to Dorey and Marlin how to ride the Swirl of Terror! :lol:

Comment

• ht_addict
              • Dec 2002

Except for you guys on the forum here and at other forums I have no one to discuss HT. I did have on fellow worker who was just getting into it but he ended up getting transfered then there was none. My wife is more into horses than HT. She'd watch a movie on my cheapo Daytek player hooked to a 32" than use the dedicated setup in the basement. My son enjoys my setup but is only allowed to use it when I'm around. Hasn't learned the respect factor of others possesions yet. So its left to me myself and I.

ht_addict

Comment

• glangston@socal
                • May 2004

Well

I meant for you to feel like Alice when she was talking to the March Hare.

Just an observation that it is a male hobby...in the extreme. :

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Originally posted by glangston@socal
                  Just an observation that it is a male hobby...in the extreme.
                  While that appears to be true on the online HT forums, I'm pleased to report that our local HT interest group has some ladies who participate who are as "into" HT as the guys. In fact our last Meet was hosted by one of them.

OTOH. I don't know any ladies who are into guns, beer and motorcycles. (But, come to think of it, I'm only into one of those, myself.) :>) However, my car got towed once by a woman driving the truck who had numerous tatoos (would that be the "etc."?) :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Bam!
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2004

Hey I am into guns...and ladies....well ladies guns! :lol:

Sorry can' t help it! ops:

Comment

• purplepeople
                      • Aug 2004

This sure is nice thread for a newbie...

I have two audio buddies but I would consider use extremophiles, just people with a little bit of an ear and not enough money. One is my cousin who is a recording engineer and the other is a blind friend. As an young engineer, my cousin doesn't have the cash to buy his own stuff yet, but I know that he has been staying late at work just to watch movies or listen to newly purchased music. OTOH, my friend has a pair of Bryston 7Bs and old copies of the Audio Critic (I think that's what it's called). Strangely, we all like electronic music of which I have the most miniscule collection.

I thought I'd give my definition of an audiophile: Someone who covers their ears when an emergency vehicle drives by. They know which equipment cannot be replaced or upgraded regardless of how good it is or was.

ensen.
                      Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• Bam!
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2004

Thanks for the contribution and I'm glad you like the thread....

Question

Why are your people purple ? :unsure: :lol:

I thought they covered their ears cause the loud sound at 1 khz could damage them :unsure:...... :rofl:

Welcome! :B

Comment

• jimmyp58
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

Most of the friends I have that are into HT are the ones I've met here and one other forum. I have a cousin that has lots of cash and he has some high-end gear but the guy's a dork because he's always trying to one-up me (and everyone else). He's a snob for sure. I like going to his house to listen to his gear and I truly compliment sincerely what I listen to. He comes over and all he wants to do is brag about his stuff and never listens to my gear. So, I don't turn the system on anymore when he comes over.
                          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Bam!
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                            Most of the friends I have that are into HT are the ones I've met here and one other forum. I have a cousin that has lots of cash and he has some high-end gear but the guy's a dork because he's always trying to one-up me (and everyone else). He's a snob for sure. I like going to his house to listen to his gear and I truly compliment sincerely what I listen to. He comes over and all he wants to do is brag about his stuff and never listens to my gear. So, I don't turn the system on anymore when he comes over.

Cipes Jimmy....You have freakin`excellent gear!

What`s he got a chord Pre Amp! :E

Comment

• jimmyp58
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

He's into his McIntosh pre-amp/amps as well his Klipsch LaScalas

Comment

• Adz
                                • Jan 2004

Certainly not my wife.
                                As I continually upgrade here and there, it will take my wife at least 2-3 weeks (if at all) to notice a new piece of equipment in the system or some large box that I haven't moved into the attic yet and if she does catch on finally she'll always say, "What's that" or "when did ya' get that?
                                Sound familar?
                                Adz

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

No, that's NEVER happened with me. :W

And pigs CAN fly too. :T

Jim

Comment

• Bam!
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2004

....You know one thing about the audiophile buddies I have.....When they get new gear I am as excited for them and to listen as they are......

I'm always up for someone "bettering" their setup....reagrdless whether it is "better" or not than mine....

Sucks big time when a guy is a snob about his system vs others.... I've met a few like that.....I don' t see them any more....why should I the planet has 6 billion people....why talk to me! :lol:

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2003

I agree. It's like ADZ is getting an external sub (finally :W ) and most of his system is identical to mine yet I am excited for him and would love to fly to NY to listen to his setup.

But not my cousin. What sucks too is that he'll facial guys that don't have the financial wherewithal to get some of the toys we have but are ecstatic to have an all-in-one solution that cost them a whopping $700. Hey, that's all they can afford and they are happy with it but no, the dufus has to comment that his stuff still reigns supreme. :M :throwup:

Oh well....

Comment

• rich0372
                                        • Jul 2004

WOW this is a great thread I thought I was the only one. EVERYONE I talk to thinks I'm crazy for spending my money on my system(most of my friends just get the theater in a box set-up and think It's great) Even my wife says she can't tell the difference but I guess I can't complain she doen't care how much $$ I spend on it I did have a few guys from work over and they where amazed but can't convince any of them to join us crazy people :B :T

long live the audiophiles Rich

Comment

• purplepeople
                                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Bam!
                                          Why are your people purple ?
                                          Long story about a crayon drawing when I was 5 or 6 years old. Didn't draw again for 20 years. When I needed an Internet handle, it was appropriate on so many levels. To this day, I stay with my ISP just to keep the email address.

ensen.
                                          Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"