X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RacerChris
    • Oct 2004

Audiophile Jazz Recordings

So guys, which CDs and specific tracks do you feel has the best potential to differentiate between a good system (speaker) and a great one? :B

I'll start.

Diana Krall - All For You, Track 9 - I'm through with love. The first thirty seconds. What else can you hear besides the piano... :E
  • RacerChris
    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by RacerChris
    So guys, which CDs and specific tracks do you feel has the best potential to differentiate between a good system (speaker) and a great one? :B

I'll start.

Diana Krall - All For You, Track 9 - I'm through with love. The first thirty seconds. What else can you hear besides the piano... :E
    So 79 views, but no opinions! Come on guys.... :lol:

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Chris, let's see if this gets a better response in our audio forum - In Tune.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'm not sure I have an "audiophile" quality Jazz picks. I'll have to think about it a bit. :scratchhead:

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

...would Pat Barber....Companion on XRCD2 qualify ?
          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hey Bam! You're back!!! :later: Been on a pre-skating-season vacation?????

Comment

• purplepeople
              • Aug 2004

I don't know it qualifies as 'phile, but as I mentioned in the Reference thread, Brubeck - Time Out can tell me a lot about a system.

I just think that the mere mention of the word "audiophile" can give unintended inferiority complexes. I'm just not that susceptible as I happily classify my hearing as silver ear.

ensen.
              Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Jensen is right on two counts: 1) Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" is outstanding (on both CD and SACD) and 2) people are sometimes reluctant to label themselves or what they listen to as "audiophile" since a) it tends to sound elitist in a pseudo-egalitarian world and b) what one person may praise as outstanding sound that "blows away" some other recordings, another person might criticize for being too closely miked and overly loud.

Nevertheless, here are a few selections which I have in my own collection that are fun to listen to because of interesting performances AND great sound (to my ears, anyway). All of them will give your system a real workout and will differentiate between a system that just produces sound and one that successfully and satisfyingly recreates music.

Sonny Rollins: Way Out West Contemporary Records
                You probably already know about "Saxophone Colossus" and "The Bridge", both excellent albums among the many Rollins has been on. But if you like soulful jazz saxophone, this is the essential recording. Recorded with minimalist miking at a makeshift studio in the 1950s by the legendary producer Lester Koenig, its sound is shockingly clear, cohesive, dynamic, transparent and evocative. This one will probably sound at least "OK" on just about any system, but will really come alive on a truly good one.

Dave's True Story: Sex Without Bodies Chesky Records
                Something of an acquired taste (but then isn't just about every musical style) it yields rich rewards upon multiple listenings -- and there is no doubt that this is an "audiophile" recording. On a less-than-adequate system, the female vocals will sound boomy and disconnected from the instrumental backups; on a good system, the human voice and instruments will balance into a quirky but satisfyingly balanced whole.

Mike Garson: The Oxnard Sessions, Vol. 2 Reference Recordings
                Volume 1 was pretty good too, but this one transcends categories and demands repeat listening with its heartfelt renditions and stunning sound. Track four is especially revealing. On a good system, the introductory interlude will be mellifluous while on a lesser system, it will sound "squawky".

McCoy Tyner: New York Reunion Chesky Records (available on CD or SACD Hybrid)
                You'll wish you had been there for the reunion, but at least you can enjoy it over and over on disc. It doesn't get much better than this. On a good system, the "air" around the instruments, subtle textures and dynamics all contribute to a "you are there" sensation.

Jacques Loussier Trio: HANDEL Telarc
                Now for something completely different.... this jazz combo plays classical music in a jazz style, taking on some of Handel's most cherished works including "Water Music", "Music for the Royal Fireworks" and the
                Passacaglia". Must be heard to be believed -- if you are looking for a "pure" rendition of the classical selections, look elsewhere -- with just enough of the familiar melodies to be recognizable, these are really swinging jazz performances.

Needless to say, the sound is superb. (Telarc = audiophile). The percussion is especially "life like" (the drum kit should hit you in the gut, while on the cymbals, you can distinguish between types of brushes and sticks) and on a good system, the piano should be cohesive from top to bottom of the frequency range and sound like it is playing in your room, not coming from a "box".

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• will1066
                  • Aug 2003

I listened to a newly bought Mobile Fidelity Pat Barber "Modern Cool" for the first time last night and, at the risk of sounding overzealous, it is awesome, both in performance and audio quality.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                    • Sep 2001

will1066 -- IMO, that's not being overzealous, that's showing "sound" judgement. :>) Patrica Barber's "Modern Cool" is an excellent album!!!!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Bam!
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
                      Hey Bam! You're back!!! :later: Been on a pre-skating-season vacation?????

:later: David!

Burke! Very nice.....and I agree Pat Barber is quite something...whether you like her or not...you have to respect the effort put into the sound quality....
                      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"