X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

This does not seem possible, The Matrix, 15 years anniversary

It didn't seem possible "then", now today, it doesn't seem possible that "The Matrix" previewed in theaters 15 years ago today. Can you believe it's been that long?

Short timers, young folks, may be saying, what is the Matrix... Old timers, you know, and now wonder where the last 15 years went in such a hurry.

Of course, it's been a lot less than 15 years since the last trilogy film was introduced, maybe 10? But 15 years on film one, wow.

I guess 14 since DVD premier.

Keanu hasn't had a hit like this since, and probably never will. Has he even acted the last few years? I guess so, I just am not aware of it.

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I remember waiting for that movie to come out.... I remember waiting for the DVD release! I asked for it 2 Christmas's in a row...lol

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Yeah it's crazy thinking about cutting edge movies like it (at the time) being SOOO long ago now...lol
      Jason

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Wow, I would have lost that bet. I guess this is as good a reason as any to give it a viewing tonight.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Yeah I found out later that it took so long to come out on DVD because a lot of DVD players actually had a hard time playing it. Even when it finally did come out there were quite a few players that just flat out couldn't play it for some reason.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Wow... that brings back memories, and yeah, can't believe it's 15 years.

15 years ago, I graduated pilot training and went to Learjet training. Was too busy to see the movie, but was looking forward to it. The day I passed my Learjet checkride, I went back to my hotel room and turned on the TV. The news of the Columbine massacre had just broken. I dropped my bag and sat on my bed the rest of the day, just watching the news. I grew up in Colorado and played sports with Columbine High School, so it was hitting home hard.

Because of that, I was apprehensive emotionally to go see a shoot-em-up film with people in black trenchcoats. I went back home to Colorado, and did see the movie anyway, and so glad that I did of course. The Matrix is now potentially my all-time favorite movie.

Dougie, I remember that! It was one of the very first "high performance" DVD's. The funny thing is, even today when I watch the movie, I remember the places where the DVD would do a "layer change" and some players would have a hiccup, like the dojo training scene, where Morpheus grabs Neo's foot and spins him around horizontally before he crashes to the floor.

I just watched the entire trilogy myself a week or two ago. Another thing I remember is that the Matrix was one of the first films to be transferred to HD. (HD-DVD first) I was on the Home Theater Cruise in 2007, and HD-DVD executives brought an advance copy that we got to watch before it was publicly released. I remember that in the Construct scene, where Morpheus first explains the Matrix to Neo, the entire scene is white. In the HD transfer, if you look carefully, with the high resolution you can see the edge of the all-white room where the floor meets the wall. Just one of those ways where HD resolutions can spoil movie magic a bit.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Lex
              Has he even acted the last few years?
              Some folks might ask "has he EVER acted?". To many, he personifies the old put-down attributed to Dorothy Parker (about someone other than Keanu) that the thespian "runs the gamut of emotions from A to B". And for some critics, he doesn't even get as far as "B". However, I for one think Keanu did a fine job in "The Matrix", and was believable and even admirable in an offbeat way in "Parenthood". And, no, it doesn't seem like 15 years have gone by since the first Matrix movie first amazed and entertained us. I still use the DVD occasionally for sound demos (usually the shoot 'em up scene in the lobby with Neo and Trinity in trench coats, followed by the helicopter rescue of Morpheus).

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Well, yes Burke, there is that. I know he wasn't exactly thought of as top shelf by many. I too, thought his acting was marginal at times. But not in the matrix. He was "on" for it, I thought. I haven't watched in a long time. But his part never seemed contrived, it always seemed genuine. Well, as genuine as that part could be. He had another good performance or two. Devil's Advocate was pretty good too. Of course, he had some help with the talented Charlize Theron as his young wife.
                Doug

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

That makes Keanu sad.

Originally posted by Lex
                  Devil's Advocate was pretty good too. Of course, he had some help with the talented Charlize Theron as his young wife.
                  ... and the hot redhead that got naked.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Funny thing is I don't think The Matrix is what people really recognize him for lol. I'm pretty sure many people still seem him from Bill & Ted's.

Comment

• P-Dub
                      Office Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

I must confess that when I saw the Matrix for the first time, it really didn't blow me away like it did for other people. It is only upon subsequent viewings on DVD that it really moved up my scale. I chalk it up to reading about what others were talking about in various HT forums and looking at the movie in a different light.

I think this is what really got me involved in HT and collecting DVD's. The additional appreciation of movies over my initial viewing. I think I appreciate movies a lot more now than I did before.

I don't know how many times I've watched the dojo scene!
                      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Bill and Ted's what is that? not sure I know that one.

To me, Speed and Matrix were his major draws. I never got why he didn't do speed 2. I also didn't get them killing off his partner Jeff Daniels. They could have milked that series for 3 movies with those two guys, easy. The guy in Speed 2, while ok, just didn't do it for me. Of course, Speed 2 was a pretty bad movie to begin with.
                        Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

I think it was one of his first acting gigs? Many of the SNL and other jokes based around him are about this movie lol. It's what most people remember when they think of Keanu Reeves at least in my experience it has been.

Comment

• Face
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Hdale85
                            Funny thing is I don't think The Matrix is what people really recognize him for lol. I'm pretty sure many people still seem him from Bill & Ted's.
                            I agree.
                            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Bill, my excellent friend?

Yes, Ted?

There is something strange afoot at the Circle K.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

I found this an interesting read, about the human side of Neo... He loves his Sister, he's reported to have spent 5 million in her fight against leukemia. Way to go Neo.

He has had some tragedy besides that in his life. Lost a daughter still born at birth. Lost his best friend while filming Speed

Oh, and FYI, my talk about Speed 2, he was offered it and 12 million and walked away from it.

Doug

Comment

• Dmantis
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jun 2004

it didn't leave my Computer bag for years. We used it to judge all Theater systems we installed back in the day. It really helped separate the good from the great systems in what rooms worked and what ones didn't.

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

But geez... the movie really has green push on projectors.

:P :P :P
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2007

I really enjoyed the story concept, though must say I don't really recall much of the second one and never even saw the third one.
                                      -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

The second one was pretty bad..... The third one was better imo but still didn't touch the first one.

Comment

• Face
                                          • Mar 2007

I met him while working security on the set of "Henry's Crime". Nice guy, but kind quiet and introverted.
                                          SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

I'm a big Matrix fan, and have done quite a bit of study into the movies and lots of stuff about it like philosophy. (there's even several books about it) The first Matrix film definitely is the best, but IMHO the others are are very good too, but in a different way.

One of the very many great things about the original Matrix film is that it is a great work in SO many different aspects. So someone that goes into the movie wanting a good kick butt action flick, gets good stuff. You want a philosophical mind-bender, you got it. You want a cutting edge (at the time), paradigm-breaking special effects film, you absolutely got it. You want a good sci-fi film, you got it. You want an original, fresh story, you got it.

However, as a film aficionado, I always try to go into movies and appreciate them for what the filmmakers intend them to be. I don't go into a movie looking for Ben Hur epic-level drama, if the movie is intended to be "Dude, Where's Your Car?" stupid humor. (I also appreciated that the great Roger Ebert took a similar approach) I think SO many people went into the Matrix 2 and 3 expecting the same type of film as Matrix 1, but they aren't. They are not intended to be multi-purpose, question-asking philosophy pieces. They, especially 2, aren't really even intended to be action flicks. Instead, they are much more about the story of the Matrix characters, and elements of human nature like love and survival.

I will never forget the image of the Mech commander in Matrix Revolutions, facing certain death as he is swarmed by overwhelming Sentinel machines, screaming in defiance as he relentlessly fights back. That one shot spoke volumes to me.

Chuck, I'd recommend 2 and 3, even if they're not up to par with 1, I think they're at least worth a watch and complete the Matrix story.
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Apr 2001

Paul, 15 years ago, that movie was a lot to take in at first. The all black outfits, the extreme theatrics, and action scenes. I don't think you can get the whole of the Matrix the first time through, I know I didn't. It's a film that I think actually gets better with more viewings.

I still love it. I've always watched one more than the other 2, but I will still do viewings of all 3 upon occasion. Great trilogy, with maybe my favorite film ever too, I'd have to think about that. True Lies was always a big fav of mine too and Terminator 2.
                                              Doug

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"