X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deke
    • Dec 2005

Matrix or 700 series?

I've had a set of 602 s2s for the last 7 years or so and have been very happy with them. However, I've been thinking of replacing them with a full range speaker. The speakers will be used 50/50 for music & HT. I care about music more. For now, I'll be driving them with a Rotel RMB-1075.

I can't afford the Nautilus series. I'm looking at getting some 703s, but wondered if it may be money better spent to get something from the Matrix series (e.g. Matrix 803).

Has anyone had the chance to own or audition a full range Matrix speaker vs. the 703s? If so, I'd appreciate your impressions and advice. Also, how long can you expect a speaker to last?
  • JürgenW
    • Jul 2004

I still have a Matrix 3/2 quite a long time. A speaker which must be something like 15/20 years old.
    In the sitting-room I have a Matrix 801 series 3, +/- 1996, which replaced a Matrix 801 series 2, +/- 1990, which moved to the sleeping-room.
    As surround-speakers in the sitting-room I have the CDM9NT. That is a very nice speaker (for the price) and a predecessor of the 700 system, but I prefer the round sound of the Matrix.

Comment

• JKalman
      • Nov 2005

Only you can answer this question by auditioning both. I would get the Matrix personally, but you might prefer the 703s to it.

Comment

• Miroku
        • Jul 2004

The Matrix 802 s3 smokes the 703 In my opinion. I've never heard any of the other Matrix speakers though. I've seen used Matrix 802s3's going for $2500 quite a few times.

Comment

• worldys
          • Dec 2005

the 703s are nice but for less than the price of a used pair of 703, you could get a pair of matrix 802s3, which is an entirely better speaker than the 703, if you can get over the boxy looks, the 802s midrange is wonderfully textured and detail and imaging are as good as the nautilus, the 802s will have better bass extension too

it is ridiculous how cheap they go for an audiogon, i have seen them sell for 16-1700 on audiogon, you are getting a lot of speaker of the price

my 2c

s

Comment

• deke
            • Dec 2005

Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"