X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

COMCAST or THE DISH??

Hello All,

I've been with Comcast a very long time because of HDTV & Comcast sports (76ers!). But THE DISH price is $30 less a month. Also they now have COMCAST SPORTS & HDTV! Who is better COMCAST or THE DISH?????

June
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Call comcast and tell them that I bet you they'll do something to keep your monthly bill rolling in
    Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

I just checked Dish's website and they don't list Comcast's Sportsnet from Philadelphia. Tell Comcast what Dish is offering and see what they can do. Chances are they will give you a deal. However if you leave, you lose Comcast's sportnet from Philly.

They only carried Comcast Sportsnet from the Mid Atlantic(washington DC). Sportsnet WEST and also Sports net chicago.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

I had both in the past two years. I prefer Directv for the price and quality (all channels are clear, even the local ones) BUT DVR with the dish sucks!! DVR with cable is soooooooo much easier and faster and reliable. So if you want to record, go cable.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• spyboy
          • Jun 2005

I did not like the dropouts when it rained or snowed when I had a dish. Then again, I never put a shower cap on the dish either. I don't know if they work.

Comment

• june
            • Feb 2005

thanks!

hello all,

thanks 4 your responses. i'm sticking with comcast cable. the dish's dvr has only one tuner but comcast has two. that & your comments made the difference.

june
            June
            "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by spyboy
              I did not like the dropouts when it rained or snowed when I had a dish. Then again, I never put a shower cap on the dish either. I don't know if they work.
              I tried it, and I found it really depends on the storms severity. The cover actually hindered my dish during the snow due to its accumulation on the cover.

It provided some minor help against dropouts, but not enough to warrant the purchase. It became just a weather protector of sorts. I have since removed the cover from the sat dish.

I digress, I have been told a couple of things about Comcast, bad QOS and constant price increases. However, I have not experienced Comcast firsthand (I have COX in my area). I just prefer D*TV primarily due to it's pricing, outstanding Customer service and the DVR's which have dual tuners :T . Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

I just prefer D*TV primarily due to it's pricing, outstanding Customer service and the DVR's which have dual tuners
                I had D*TV but switched back to COX. Their bundle saved me about $25 a month. My 6412 was no cost and has 2 tuners. Can't beat that.

Directv's HD lite is primarly what forced me to switch back on top of the cost savings. I can say that I didn't have any issues with rain fade. It was pretty non-existent.

Comment

• Snap
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2005

Funny thing about storms. Went through a Hurricane a year ago, may be 2 (lived in Eastern NC for 10 years been through a lot) Any ways lost cable for 2.5 days. Watched Sat Dish Network the WHOLE storm! (we did not get local chan from sat so we had basic cable for local stuff and dish for the rest.)

I don't get it...it does not cut out on us like all the people say it does.

The whole Fam came over....Generator, TV, arty:
                  The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Snap
                    I don't get it...it does not cut out on us like all the people say it does.
                    A lot of things go into dish performance, but the single biggest as I understand it is set-up. The closer to perfect alignment on the satellite(s) you get the dish the stronger your reception and consequently the harder it is to interrupt/degrade your signal. Sounds like you have a good stable alignment Jim.

Secondly, the sturdiness of the mount can play a part. Solid, un-moving installations will hold the dish in its proper alignment. Weaker or poorly implemented ones won't.

A third consideration is the amount of atmosphere the signal is passing through. As the satellites are positioned in a southern orientation with respect to North America, the further north you live the closer to the horizontal your dish is positioned. That means more atmosphere to deal with and that means alignment is even more critical.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                      My 6412 was no cost and has 2 tuners. Can't beat that.
                      Colour me GREEN with jealousy. I've been wanting that box pretty much since it was available earlier this year. My cable company wants $700 for it though and no option to lease :evil: :rant: :F
                      Jason

Comment

• willng24
                        • Aug 2005

Snow on the dish, means snow on the screen. Go comcast. Eventhough they are robbing me blind in Boston.

Comment

• Snap
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2005

David, thanks for the update. I used a metal fence post sunk into the deck on the side of my house to hold my dish. I did not want a wood one, or to put it on my roof. I am on the cost of NC so I probably have less crud to deal with than most people. That is good info about how it all works. I guess the dish guy did his job right. He took forever to align the thing. I guess it was worth it.
                          The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"