X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armbender
    • Jul 2005

Downgrading from Bryston 4BSST?

I currently run my B&W 604's with a Bryston 4B-SST into my RSX 1056. I am thinking about downgrading to the Emotiva XPA-5 and possibly running it 3ch for my two fronts and LCR 600 @ 250w/ch. Would this be a good set-up?...Reason for doing it is so i can upgrade the remaining peices of my set-up...i.e. digital source, Blue-Ray etc...

Thanks
    Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

Downgrading? Them's fighting words. :B

Emotiva also has a 3-channel version of the X-Series if you just need 3 channels. In theory, you'd sacrifice 50w per channel, but I doubt you'd notice. On sale too.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

The "from Bryston" are the "fighting words". :>) Sounds like a trade off of "quantity" (more digital stuff) over "quality" (Bryston amplification).

I recently "went BluRay" myself, and faced the difficult choice of how to fit it in (aka "afford it", along with hi-rez audio decoding etcetera) with the rest of the system. If it were a choice of a Bryston pre/pro vs the other gear, I'd say it was a reasonable trade-off. But to give up their incredible power amplification, especially since it is working well with your speakers... hmmmmm.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Russ L
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by littlesaint
        Downgrading? Them's fighting words. :B
        Funny...I was just considering an UPGRADE to Bryston. Got an offer thats hard to refuse. Heard that Bryston/B&W combo could be forward and bright. Any thoughts? If I was you any downgrade in amp would be a disappointment in the long term. Especially getting rid of Brystons. I know they are the amp of choice for many speaker brands. As I always say: work from the source out in quality. I'm in the minority with that view here at this mostly B&W forum! :W
        Russ

Comment

• Armbender
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Russ L
          Funny...I was just considering an UPGRADE to Bryston. Got an offer thats hard to refuse. Heard that Bryston/B&W combo could be forward and bright. Any thoughts? If I was you any downgrade in amp would be a disappointment in the long term. Especially getting rid of Brystons. I know they are the amp of choice for many speaker brands. As I always say: work from the source out in quality. I'm in the minority with that view here at this mostly B&W forum! :W
          the 604's actually sound amayzing with the 4B...great bass and uppers are clear at any volume...the trade off is morso, now ill have 3ch @250watts as appposed to 2ch with the option of using the other 2 ch when i upgrade my 1056 to a dedicated pre/pro...also in its place wil be a blueray player and apple tv...

just weighing out my options right now...

thanks for all the input thus far..any comments on the value or quality of the Emotiva Amps + B&W
          Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I haven't heard the Emotivas so I can't help there. However, to go away from ANY amp/speaker combo that has you describing it using the words great and amazing is risky unless you can demo (with little or no risk) the new set-up in-home before making a decision. That way you'll know whether you can be happy without your Bryston.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Armbender
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
              I haven't heard the Emotivas so I can't help there. However, to go away from ANY amp/speaker combo that has you describing it using the words great and amazing is risky unless you can demo (with little or no risk) the new set-up in-home before making a decision. That way you'll know whether you can be happy without your Bryston.
              thanks,,appreciate your thoughts..

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

David, makes a very good point! I would be hard pressed, to change something I was satisfied with performance wise.

As a Emotiva amp owner (LPA-1), I can say, I'm very happy with mine. With that said, my equipment isn't as nice as yours.
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Armbender
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by John Holmes
                  David, makes a very good point! I would be hard pressed, to change something I was satisfied with performance wise.

As a Emotiva amp owner (LPA-1), I can say, I'm very happy with mine. With that said, my equipment isn't as nice as yours.
                  thanks very much...i do like the Bryston very much..i do think it is a bit of overkill for what i am using it for...my HT needs have diminished now having my 1st child so TreeHouse doesnt need to be accurately portryed into my system..lol..I would howver never part with my SVS PC Ultra...lol...

Also where I named my 1st born son Bryston Alexander Sarty, he may wnat to lay claim to this amp down the road

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Armbender
                    Also where I named my 1st born son Bryston Alexander Sarty, he may wnat to lay claim to this amp down the road
                    'Bender that's a great name! A Bryston heirloom is just the thing as they have a 20-year transferrable warranty. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Armbender
                      • Jul 2005

'Bender that's a great name! A Bryston heirloom is just the thing as they have a 20-year transferrable warranty. :T
                      thanks David..whats funny is that my wife agreed to name him that..lol..when everyone hears the name they all start off saying its amayzing...very unique..where did you get it from?...and then it begins...lol

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"