X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trash
    • Sep 2003

1056 w/ Bryston 4BSST

I'm looking into possibly trying out the new Rotel RSX-1056 for a new system and using it to power the center and rear channels. I am also considering going relatively 'big' for the L/R mains with a Bryston 4BSST.

This results in a pretty big split between the center and mains (75 watts vs. 300 watts). Is this an issue? I'm not sure this can be overcome during calibration.

Anybody have any first hand experience with this type of power split?
  • zpanky
    • Mar 2003

I'm running a Bryston 4BSST with an RSX1055. After calibration, there are no "power split" issues at all. I was also concerned about the Bryston having a different sonic signature as well. However, this has not been a noticeable factor either.

For me, this was a temporary solution as I could not afford all Bryston amps and a separate pre pro. I plan to add to the system over the years. If you plan to do the same, and DVD-A/SACD are not an issue (ie Bass Mgmt problem), I would save money and get an RSX1055 to. BM problem aside, the 1055 is amazing. I'm so impressed with Rotel, if I were to start again, I might even be inclined to just have all Rotel components. Not that I'm dissatisfied with Bryston. I could go on about the 4BSST as well. Since I've gone down this road already, my next piece will be an easy decision, the 6BSST (Unless I can convince my wife we need 3 7BSST's).

Comment

• Trash
      • Sep 2003

Zpanky,

Aaahhh, thanks!! This is merely one of several options I'm considering. I would like to just get a 6BSST, but frankly, dumping $5000 on one amp alone doesn't sit well with me. It would cost more than the damn TV!

This does bring up another question. During calibration, how much dB gain did you have to apply to the 1055's side of the speaker equation, or how much did you have to subtract from the 4BSST side on the setup menu? Did you run out of 'gain' control?

The reason I ask is I was auditioning a Bryston 9BSST against an Anthem MCA-20 (store didn't have a 4BSST in stock, only 9's,7's and 14's). During the audition I tried to ensure the same volume level, but with the MCA putting out more juice I had to compensate a little. With the 9BSST, I had the volume set to -7.5, but with the MCA-20 I had to use something closer to -10 or -11. This made me wonder if I would run out of calibration room with a 1056/4BSST combo.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

You won't run out of room since you can always add to one and subtract from the other if need be...though I highly doubt you'll need to. Given your location you might also want to audition other amps. Not that Bryston isn't good just that there's lots of options out there that each bring something special to the table.

Comment

• Trash
          • Sep 2003

Andrew,

I'm not sure what else I could audition out here. I've listened to Anthem, NAD, Rotel, Musical Fidelity, Yamaha, Arcam and Bryston. I tried to audition something like a Classe CAV180 but the store didn't have one.

Bottem line is I keep coming back to Bryston.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Cool if you've looked around and still like the bryston's that's great at least you're not buyinh blind. they are very nice amps and with a 20 year warrenty they'll last awhile

Comment

• zpanky
              • Mar 2003

I'm at work and don't recall the db gain adjustments, but as Andrew mentioned there is plenty of room to play with. I can gurantee you won't run out of room there. Also, as I mentioned, don't rule out the 2 channel amps from Rotel. I easily prefer the Rotel sound over the Anthem MCA series.

Comment

• Trash
                • Sep 2003

Zpanky,

Thanks again, this helps out tremendously. I haven't ruled out the Rotel amps. I don't have the luxury of doing any A/B demos between the Rotel and Anthem gear however. Nothing sonically has turned me off to the Anthem gear. I can't say I notice any difference between them and Rotel, but again I haven't A/B compared them. The only thing I can look at in that regards is specs, and they don't tell the whole story.

Anybody know the retail price of a 4BSST? The price given me seemed a little off ($4995).

Comment

• zpanky
                  • Mar 2003

Yup, that price is definately off. All I can provide is the Canadian MSRP. Dividing these numbers by 1.4 should give an approximation of USD:
                  4BSST $3,240
                  6BSST $5,500
                  7BSST $3,595 per monoblock

If you want any other "Bryston" info, you should request in the Home Theatre section as we are starting to get off topic.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"