Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Soundstage research

Interesting research going on in recreation of soundstage:

BB
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Definitely a fascinating subject, Brandon.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Their first slide shows three identical speakers up front? :>)

I agree with their observation that most home sound systems constrict the sound to a perceived area within the room boundaries, or even worse to a much smaller area between the main left and right front speakers. This leads to an unrealistic presentation of large scale music by groups such as a symphony orchestra.

That is one reason I enjoy properly set up Magnepan speakers. The speakers themselves become sonically "invisible" and the walls of the room "disappear" -- they convey the sensation of the music coming from instruments and voices arrayed around a performing space with dimensions larger than the listening room, if that was the case where the music was recorded. For audio, that is like the visual difference between a large projection screen that subtends a very wide viewing angle, drawing us into the scene, versus a small TV whose image looks more like a postage stamp stuck on a piece of plywood. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Good read. Thanks Brandon.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"