Soundstage revisited

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • brucek
    HTG Expert
    • Aug 2000
    • 303

    #1

    Soundstage revisited

    I just finished listening to Sgt. Pepper's. I think it's a treat to get away from the continuously repeated homogenous mixes of today and re-experience the soundstage differences of older recordings that the likes of George Martin created years ago when they had fun with 'stereo'.

    Most recordings today possess dead center pegging of voices and careful placement of instruments such that with my eyes closed I can't place my speakers. Every recording is the same. If I open my speakers up a little I can stretch the soundstage from center and vise-versa if I close them up toward centre. How nice - how boring.

    Go ahead, forget about the war for a few minutes and put on an old recording like Pepper's and see what soundstage was like in its' infancy. Amazing. The use of stereo soundstage was an artform - maybe even a novelty.

    brucek

Related Topics

Collapse

  • RacerChris
    Can Speakers really present the "Soundstage" to the listener?
    by RacerChris
    The audiophile in me hears and understands what soundstage is and when it's wide and when its not, but the engineer in me can't shake the technical issues.

    I believe that all recordings have each instrument mic-ed into a multi-track recordings. The engineer then combines these tracks...
    12 October 2004, 14:58 Tuesday
  • Briz vegas
    B&W poor with bad recordings?
    by Briz vegas
    This theme keeps reoccurring on the Club B&W section of this site.

    Is this a common experience amongst B&W owners? .....and if so what speakers and partnering components are you running. Also, can you describe the sound when all is working well.

    The reason that...
    24 November 2008, 08:33 Monday
  • tboooe
    Help a newbie: describe your B&W soundstage
    by tboooe
    As some of you may know I am now without my speakers. But that is a long, sad story...not fit for unsuspecting ears.

    In the meantime, I want to try and learn more about what I should be getting out of my system. I am a relative newbie to this crazy addiction/hobby.

    In...
    27 September 2005, 13:47 Tuesday
  • tboooe
    holographic soundstage with 804S
    by tboooe
    Hi, I was wondering if any members have been able to create a holograpic, 3 dimensional soundstage with their 804S. I have been fiddling around with positioning and cabling trying to achieve this with mediocre results. I can create a very nice and wide soundstage but the center image is very flat...
    29 November 2005, 16:49 Tuesday
  • Steve Goff
    Polyhymnia recordings for Pentatone, Avie, and Telarc
    by Steve Goff
    Recently, the best multichannel SACD discs in my collection have come from Avie, Pentatone, and Telarc, and most were recorded by Polyhymnia, a company headed up by recording engineer Everett Porter. The latest and perhaps best recording in this group is a disc from Avie of Handel arias by Lorraine...
    31 January 2005, 13:50 Monday
  • Loading...
  • No more items.
Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

    Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

    Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"