X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Where To Shop In Washington?

I need some recommendations from my Washington state brethren. Being a newbie to living in WA, what are the places to go for electronics, music (CD's and vinyl) and movies (DVD) around Bellingham, Anacortes, Mt. Vernon?

P.S. I've duped this post in a couple of the other forums.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

You might have to mail order. (Houston may not be paradise, but at least we still have a few stores left to buy CDs in.) :>)

Burke

PS -- I'll be sure to post this useful information in the other places you've duped this thread so you won't miss it. :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

David, try out the usuals--Best Buy, Wal Mart, etc. Good Guys is a great chain here in WA that usually treats people right for equipment.

CHRIS
      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Maybe the best bet would be California, lol. I'm kidding. How about around Seattle? I bet there's everything there with Mickeysoft hq there.

lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Mickeysoft? Mr. Bill's world? Ick! :roll: Not in my HT.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Where in the Emerald state are you? If you're close to the US/Canada border you might want to investigate coming up here for goods. A&B sound in western Canada is pretty much responsible for some of the lowest CD prices around. Most new CD's are between $11-$13 Canadian. Also most electronics/computer gear is only a touch above the prices of the same stuff in the US but again in Canadian $'s. I don't see how getting a couple of CD's across the border would be a problem but electronics etc you might want to investigate duty etc.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Jason, I'm on Orcas Island in the San Juans. Basically, an hour ferry ride to Anacortes and an hour to Vancouver. Good suggestion, especially as I think Vancouver is one of the nicest cities Jen and I've ever visited.

Burke, I'll be using a LOT of internet ordering, but that doesn't have that "immediate gratification" thing going for it.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

It is quite a lovely place to live There's lot's of places in the world I have visted or would like to visit but I think I will always call Vancouver home. If you do come up, stay for dinner, there's TONS of awesome restuarants. :P (I'm surpised I'm not fatter...lol). Did you make the mandatory trip up to Whistler when you came last?

To keep this slightly on topic and not just gloating about my home town...

For CD's and some mid-end equipment try A&B Sound. (However I've heard a rumour that their downtown locations won't "wheel n' deal" on pricing anymore, so you might have to head to some of their locations in the "burbs".) For higher-end equipment there's a few places downtown, some in Richmond and some in Burnaby/New Westminster. The best way to find them or dealers in your area for that matter would be to find authorized dealers off some of your favourite products web pages. For instance if you were looking for (ahem ) , Rotel products, just check out their authorized dealers in this area. The local area code is 604 and the local postal codes start with V4C for any pages that require that info

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                Jason

Comment

• efarstad
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2001

Hey David! As Chris mentioned, there's Good Guys, but also Magnolia Hi-Fi for good quality gear. For more high end electronics....there's a nice shop in Bellevue called Definitive Audio...REAL nice gear!

As for software there is also Circuit City. I'd suggest you go online and do an internet search on audio/video stores and list those cities in the search requirements and see what comes up!

Let us know when we can come visit too!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                  E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                  E-Cinema

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

E, you, Chris, Jason and the rest of the "Northwest Gang" are welecome any time! I just have to warn you that the HT part of things is not even remotely close to where it needs to be - yet. The 2-channel is good though.

David - HTGuide flunky
                    Our "Theater"
                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Oops, double post.

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• efarstad
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2001

Thanks David...I'd come for the rest, relaxation, and company...not the HT or audio!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                        E-Cinema

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

I'll come for the free food and beer!

CHRIS
                          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Any of you guys like Scotch? 8x) :P

Jason

Jason

Comment

• P-Dub
                              Office Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

I will have to second Jason's places to shop in Vancouver. You just can't beat A&B although a quick stop over at Futureshop may sometimes yield a cheaper price for new releases. There's also a local warehouse shop, C&L. They have a huge selection, but customer service is not a big strong point. You have to join, it's free, to gain access to the shopping area. They have quite the selection of Animie.

And do stay for dinner. You'll have lots of company and we know all the good places to eat! Right Jason? Hmm, maybe we should get together and compare restaurant notes.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                              Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"