Which connection is right, DVI/HDMI or Component Video?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Which connection is right, DVI/HDMI or Component Video?

The video outputs from my satellite dish receiver support either DVI or component video. When using the DVI side the colors appear a bit washed out. When using the component side the colors appear a bit over saturated. The detail seems to be the same in each case, although the component side looks brighter. Which connection is the right connection for color?
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Neither is more "right" than the other. In theory, DVI should look better on digital displays (LCD, DLP, Plasma etc.) and component should look better on analog displays (CRT), but in reality there is often little difference.

You're best off picking one (probably DVI, since you'll be more future proof for HD), and then calibrating the display for the best image with that connection.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Some displays to not pass the full white or black spectrum over DVI as well so while the signal may be "cleaner" and/or higher resolution it may not have the same depth as component. That could be what you're experiencing. Then again you may just have to re-calibrate the display for the different connection
      Jason

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Thanks guys.

It just seemed odd that the color differences between the two connections would be so dramatic. I figured some calibration was going to be in order in either case. I guess what I would like to know, if you were to chose one over the other, according to say ISF color wheel guidelines, which do you think would be the truest most natural representation of color, the one that is more pale or the one that is more flushed?

The DVI connection seems more realistic, but the component video connection seems more vibrant. So which one is really the most accurate, true to life, color?

It is pretty well known that the default brightness and contrast settings on TV's are exaggerated to showoff on the showroom floor. According to ISF this is really not the proper way to set your TV. Could my color disparities be analogous? Could it be that the DVI side is doing colors correctly and that the component side has it all wrong? Like I said the details seem to be there in both cases. It's just the color thing that has me a bit perplexed. :roll:
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"