X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Have you squeezed your TV?

Besides my Pj and screen, I have a standard Toshiba 36A50 regular old fishbowl TV for regular stuff. I was hunting the web for pronto files for it last week and came across a review section where a guy posted a method for going into the service menu and doing an aftermarket anamorphic squeeze on it by changnig 2 values.

Tried it when I got home and it worked pretty well, and very definitely improved the picture.

I have no real need to do this and will very likely NEVER bother since I use my PJ for movies, but was just curious, other than the general "careful mucking around int he service menu", is there any reason this is bad for a TV? i.e. strainnig power supplies in a unit not intended to squeeze, odd burnin on the screen?

BB
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I use a Tosh CZ36V51 for my tv viewing. I downloaded the info on changing things in the menu to get the squeeze, but I never bothered to do it because I really don't watch movies on on. About the only time I fire up the dvd player that's comnnected to the Tosh is when I want to watch dvd special edition extra material. I really don't think it will do any damage. I also learneds how to do the squeeze on my old Zenith crt front projector and used it several years in the squeeze mode. I just found it a pain when you had to go back and forth between the squeeze and regular raster setting for non-anamorphic material and 4:3 viewing.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

It shouldn't harm anything providing those are the only two changes made to the service menu. Luckily my Wega has a setting in the menu to do that which is what I wanted when I went TV shopping

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"