X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bandwagoner
    • Oct 2004

1068 + Tosh A1 anybody?

I am having trouble with the audio portion of the new Toshiba HD DVD player connected to the Rotel 1068 via Analog 5.1.

I tried every setting but nothing works. Does anyone have the same setup and enjoying incredible sound? I am getting no sound at all.

I also have dvd player-->optical-->1068 works
    cable box-->coaxial-->1068 works

Tosh A1-->Analog 5.1-->1068 no sound

TIA
    jer
  • marano
    • May 2006

I had the same problem when I got my Rotel 1057, try pressing and holding the EXT button on the remote

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

With the conversion of digital tracks to full bitrate DTS, you might get better sound on HDDVD discs using a digital output as well.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Bandwagoner
        • Oct 2004

Thank you Marano and Kevin.

The "EXT" button worked!

I will have to play around with the digital vs analog connects because i thought DD+ can only be analog.

Thanks again.
        jer

Comment

• nash
          • Mar 2004

Correct, analog connects will yield slightly better audio results.

I use an A1 and a 1066, but I just use the digital input. Mainly because this is a stopgap measure before I have a Rotel with HDMI and because I don't want to invest in more interconnects for 5.1 analog.

The sound is great from the digital at any rate.

Comment

• apodaca
            • Jun 2006

I use Toshiba via digital connection to RSX1056 +RB1070 and I agree the sound is excellent due to dts full bandwith output of Toshiba - its way better than anything on standard DVD.

Comment

• marano
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Bandwagoner
              Thank you Marano and Kevin.

The "EXT" button worked!

I will have to play around with the digital vs analog connects because i thought DD+ can only be analog.

Thanks again.
              jer
              Right now Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD (which is even better but only 2 channel at the moment) can only be played via the Analog outputs, when HDMI 1.3 Receivers/Processors come out you will be able to use the HDMI port. The Digital Optical and Coax will convert the signal to DTS until a Receiver/Processor comes out capable of decoding Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby True HD.

Comment

• marano
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                With the conversion of digital tracks to full bitrate DTS, you might get better sound on HDDVD discs using a digital output as well.

Kevin D.
                I've done a lot of switching back and forth between my analog inputs and digital coax and Dolby Digital Plus on the analog is better but only slightly and there are some inherent problems with it since your forced to use the Toshiba's bass management. The main reason I'm still using the analog inputs is Dolby TrueHD, this by far blows Dolby Digital Plus away and it is a noticeable difference in sound, supposedly there will be a firmware upgrade soon to allow full 5.1 Dolby TrueHD.

Comment

• Bandwagoner
                  • Oct 2004

That's exactly what i will be doing. Using analog until HDMI 1.3. Might be another year away.

I'm also hoping this 1st generation Toshiba can output 7.1 Dolby TrueHD with firmware upgrade utiziling the other 2 channels. But i will take 5.1 TrueHD in ver. 2.0.

The picture is very impressive to state the obvious.

jer

Comment

• Bandwagoner
                    • Oct 2004

Marano and others,

Now that firmware ver 2.0 is out with TrueHD 5.1 capabilities, what are your settings using 5.1 analog?

I have the HDMI output PCM instead of Auto. Is this correct?
                    Then set all speakers to Large to bypass the Bass Management in the Tosh.
                    Finally using the 1068's BM to recalibrate the sound levels with Avia? Hoping the Rotel has BM for analog 5.1.

Just want to get everything right.

TIA,
                    jer

Comment

• nash
                      • Mar 2004

Your HDMI setting doesn't affect the analog output (they are simultaneous). Since you are using a 1068 and not using HDMI for audio, you don't have to worry about that setting.

I am not sure about bass management via the analog inputs. I have all my speakers set to large because all my speakers have built in subs and I have no .1 dedicated sub. So bass management is not an issue for me.

The 2.0 firmware with TrueHD is nice, can't wait for a Rotel HDMI 1.3 receiver to pair up with the just-announced Toshiba Gen 2 players! Drool...

Comment

• marano
                        • May 2006

Marano and others,

Now that firmware ver 2.0 is out with TrueHD 5.1 capabilities, what are your settings using 5.1 analog?

I have the HDMI output PCM instead of Auto. Is this correct?
                        Then set all speakers to Large to bypass the Bass Management in the Tosh.
                        Finally using the 1068's BM to recalibrate the sound levels with Avia? Hoping the Rotel has BM for analog 5.1.

Just want to get everything right.

TIA,
                        jer
                        Not sure about the 1068 but my 1057 does not have Bass Management on the analog inputs so I set my speakers to small and the crossover to 80HZ, I can up the db on the analogs for the sub on the Rotel which along with calibrating via Avia goes a long way in correcting any LFE output issues.

Comment

• Bandwagoner
                          • Oct 2004

Thanks for the replies.

Since i dont think the 1068 have bass management on the analog, i will have to think this over.

Marano,

Since your 1057 does not have bass management on the analog, how can you up the db on the analogs for the sub on the Rotel?

I'm missing something here.

jer

Comment

• marano
                            • May 2006

If you do not have bass management on the analog inputs you should set your speaker size on the Toshiba to small otherwise you will just get sounds made specifically for the sub. On my Rotel's OSD under Sub Setup I have Multi Input set to MAX.

Comment

• Bandwagoner
                              • Oct 2004

Thanks Marano, you've been most helpful.

I've looked over the manual for the 1068 and 1057. They handle the MULTI inputs the same way so i'm going to try your settings. One question though, the MULTI option sends a summed up mono signal through a 100Hz analog low filter. How will this effect the crossover setting on the Tosh and on the Rotel?

Will it make any diff. if i set the Xover on the Tosh and Rotel to 100Hz to match?

thanks again,
                              jer

Comment

• Clepto
                                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                With a 1068, you're best bet is to use analog, stay away from SPDIF. HDMI might be ideal, but obviouslly the 1068 doesn't have that option.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

One question though, the MULTI option sends a summed up mono signal through a 100Hz analog low filter. How will this effect the crossover setting on the Tosh and on the Rotel?

Will it make any diff. if i set the Xover on the Tosh and Rotel to 100Hz to match?

jer
                                  The 100hz bass copy can be disabled on the 1067,1057,1068, & 1098 through the setup menu. So if the Toshiba offers full management, set it to what you want and disable the Rotel's 100hz setting.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"