X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Bedroom Setup / Looking for recommendations

Here's my little bedroom stereo. Some Panasonic microsystem system that I bought some years ago, matched with a pair of B&W M1s. The M1s sound 10x better than the speakers that came with them. I like the way it looks. It sounds pretty smooth, but I would like to get a fuller smoother sound. I had hooked up my Denon PMA-390AE integrated amp and Pioneer Elite DVD player to replace the little Panasonic. It sounded great. Lack of bass of course, but it sounded great. However, I didn't like the full 17" width components in my bedroom. It looks too big.

Is there any micro type system that you guys can recommend that can sound REALLY great. Only requirements is that it's under $1000, looks simple, and is only two speakers (no sub). Any recommendations?

By the way, I had to show a close up of my muscle man CD holder. If you look closely, he's holding up my CDs. :B
    Attached Files
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • RenoReno2
    • Jan 2005

Could always rig up a receiver in the closet and get a repeater and have nothing but speakers in the room

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

No thank you. I like the looks and simple function of having just a CD player in the room.

Comment

• 8thDwarf
        • Feb 2005

Phillips MCD703 including its little subwoofer available everywhere refurbished.
        shockingly good sound and looks(even the remote)for about 100 bucks :T

Or the newer MCD908 with tube preamp mated to class d output. Closer to 500 though.

Comment

• sokoban
          • Apr 2006

Well, a Sonic Impact T-Amp runs less than $100 from Parts Express. (using the link at the top of the page, of course)

Get some good high efficiency speakers, and a small CD player, and baby, you've got a stew goin'.

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I never even thought about Phillips. In all honestly, I didn't know they made anything with good sound quality.

I'm thinking about buying a pair of B&W 600 S3 and mating it to a Denon M37 CD player found here http://www.denon.co.jp/products2/rcdm37.html (Sorry, it's in Japanese). I choose the B&W Series 3 over the new series because of their sensitivity of 88dB/W versuse the S4 84dB/W. I figured with the low power of the Denon, squeeze the most out of ever wattage. I listened to it at the store here, and it's nice. But I'm curious to see how it sounds with some good speakers. I may buy it and just test it out against the Denon PMA-390AE integrated amp that I have. Same remote... that must mean something, right?? ha ha just kidding.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Audioqueso

Here are a few micro systems.

Philips is not very good quality so I would stick with Denon, Onkyo or Sony

If you want to spend a bit more: Denon DRA-CX3 & DRA-CX3
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"