X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Where have I gone wrong...

My main home theater set up is in my bedroom, but there are quasi-home theaters all over the house, where the audio side is made up of receivers, speakers, etc. that have been banished from the bedroom. Some of the equipment is kind of nice, but either dated or mismatched, so I suggested to my family that I buy the gear to make a nice living room home theater. The speakers could be small like the omnisats and I could get a nice receiver like a Marantz or Rotel. All we'd need beside this is another sub, but I could send my Hsu VTF-2 out of my bedroom and into the living room, thus allowing me to buy a new sub for the bedroom.

Do they care??? No!!!! All I get is, "If you want to, go ahead, but it really doesn't matter."

Watching movies like LOTR's with just television sound suits them just fine.

Do any of you have family members that don't complain about your home theater enthusiasm, but just don't give a twit themselves?

Keith
    Keith
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

My wife proclaims to be enthusastic and when I can get her to actually sit on the couch and fire up the PJ she enjoys it, but weeknights we can't do so due to child and work schedules, and it seems like half te weekends we put the kid to bed and she goes "I'm too tired to stay up another 2-3 hours and watcha movie, I'm just going to read a little while"

Now as soon as the kid is old enough to stay up and watch more than kids' stuff, I'll be all set for company.

But I share your feeling of disappointment. I really hoped this was something that would be more of a shared enjoyment.

BB

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Guys, I feel for you, I really do. I guess you just can't push your own desires and pleasures on someone else. They have to decide for themselves if they get excited about something. I guess the best solution, is to have a place where you can go to enjoy a movie, even if no one else does. For some, that is difficult not having the room to have a dedicated theater out of ear shot.

Myself, well, my daughter doesn't participate as much as I would like. Sometimes, she's shown an interest in the past. But she never likes to watch the same thing twice. That got frustrating for me. Now, I pretty much just watch what I want, when I want, she doesn't participate much, nor is she even here much. Teenagers. lol.

It would be nice to see someone get excited about my theater. But for me, it's been a pretty long time since I've experienced that. If there ever is another lady in my life, well, she better enjoy it, if she don't, she may not be my lady long, lol.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Rock Dog
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2003

My wife enjoys the rig, not like I do, but she enjoys it, and appreciates the time and effort (maybe not the money so much. ) Heck she was pushing a big screen more than I was. We find one night on the weeked to watch at least 1, maybe 2 movies. Although I have the same problem with her location. "Sit on the couch, in the middle of the system with me" But she'd rather lay on the smaller couch that is perpendicular to the TV, and almost directly in front of the right speaker.

The kids are too young to really understand it yet. They do enjoy it, and get exciited when I say we are going to watch a "familly" movie in the main room and get popcorn and stuff for the event. But they don't like it too loud. That can be a bit of a pain, so it's hard to hear/feel all the impact.

I won't let them use any of the main gear, even if I'm watching. There are not to touch it. They can use the Pronto and the TV remote. But don't touch.

So last year I set up a little system downstairs for them.
        27" Toshiba with component inputs
        Middle of the road 80 watt Sony 5.1 receiver.
        VCR
        GameCube
        Playstation 2
        and Polk RM7200 5.1 surround speakers.

The Polks are a very impressive little set. 8" powered sub, the sats are fantastic, and sound great.

But keeping up with the original idea of this thread. A couple of times a month we allow them to sleep downstairs, they setup their sleeping bags, and choose a movie to watch. Then I go down to check on them to find all the HT gear off, and just the TV playing the movie. :roll:

You can't win....

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• KS
          • Jun 2002

I think I'm actually making headway. After years of watching my wife shake her head when I'd come home with something new. Or worse being at a party or family event and have people come up to me and ask "did you really spend $$$ to watch movies"? Yesterday I had some revenge.

We were at some friends who have a 65" Pioneer RPTV (noncalibrated) and some Sony equipment with Def. Tech. speakers when she told me I've ruined her. "While we were watching the movie I kept thinking the picture was horrible and the sound was worse. What have you done to me"?

I'm not sure this makes her really like my set up but at least she knows the difference!

Ken

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Danbry, actually, I can't sympathize all that much with the family choices. My wife likes to watch movies, too. The only thing that really frustrates me is when she wants to watch a movie on our decent bedroom setup, instead of our super-great theater setup. But sometimes she just needs to lay down.

RockDog, I got a HUGE laugh out of your story. Your kids can't stand movies played back as loud as you like it? :rofl: Isn't that backwards? I thought the crusty old dad was supposed to be the one always saying "Turn down that music, you crazy kids!"

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Kind of jealous of your situation Chris.

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• Rock Dog
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                RockDog, I got a HUGE laugh out of your story. Your kids can't stand movies played back as loud as you like it? :rofl: Isn't that backwards? I thought the crusty old dad was supposed to be the one always saying "Turn down that music, you crazy kids!"
                It is pretty funny. Friends and family get a kick out of it. Dad's a "died in the wool" Metal Head from the mid to late eighties. Even though I love all kinds of music, headbanging is in my wheelhouse, in my blood. :-y :-y :-y It can be said that nothing they listen too will ever surprise me, because I've seen and heard it all. The old man spent many a night in the laate 80's early 90's in mosh pits at Anthrax and Pantera shows, along with many other underground (at the time) thrash, speed and death metal bands. How many dad's have pictures of themselves and Lemmy from Motorhead enjoying a nice ale at the bar after hours.

So yeah, even now I do tend to listen to things quite loud. I get asked to "turn it down" in the car an awful lot. And movies are the same way.

Partly cause I like it loud, partly because of youthful hearing loss.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Rock on, my friend. Rock on.

:-y 1 :-y 1 :-y 1 :-y 1 :-y 1 :-y 1 :-y 1 :-y 1 :-y 1 :-y 1

CHRIS
                  Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Acceptance of our habit/hobby/compulsion is good and enthusiasm from our "others" is better, but it's hard to come by. Chris has a really good situation, and so does Erik. I'm a bit better off than some in that Jen is pretty understanding about things - up to a certain financial point.

Jen has enjoyed the fruits of a nice dedicated HT room before - in our old house - so we're of a mind on that, which made it easy to go ahead with Cinemeek. As far as seeing the benefits (and hearing), she does admit to enjoying the "great picture" and "cool sound system" but it doesn't generally detract from her enjoyment to watch a movie on the 13" color TV we have hanging under a cabinet in the kitchen. Personally, if it's not news or Sports Center, that makes me nuts. :spin: So, I'm faced with a take-it-or-leave-it attitude most of the time. There are a few movies that she does want to watch only on the big system - titles like The Matrix and Lord Of The Rings, and at that time, I do get props for all the work and money.

The kids both enjoy the HT a lot - guess I've infected them thoroughly. Hehehe. :twisted:

David - HTGuide flunky
                    Our "Theater"
                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

My wife tolerates my hobby, just as I tolerate hers ( crafts). I knew when I put the HT together that it was mostly for me. Now my sons can't get enough of it when they come home, but that's only a couple of times a year. They have their own versions of HT ( made up of my hand-me-downs).

Now , since my hobby is a little more expensive than wifeys, we usually have a sit down and discuss my upgrade plans. But she pretty much goes along with whatever I want. I'm a pretty lucky guy.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2002

I have a feeling she's pretty lucky too George.

Keith
                        Keith

Comment

• Eduardo
                          Moderator emeritus
                          • Jun 2002

My wife, Allison, likes the bonus room setup. 90% of our TV viewing is also done in the Bonus Room. I'm always being told to turn it down when she's watching a movie with me. Fortunaley the Master BR is across the house and I can play the sytem LOUD when she goes to sleep and she can't hear. :twisted: She's also a heavy sleeper. :twisted:

So yeah, even now I do tend to listen to things quite loud. I get asked to "turn it down" in the car an awful lot. And movies are the same way.

Partly cause I like it loud, partly because of youthful hearing loss.
                          Ditto. :yesnod:

The funny thing is we both like to listen to our music loud. The only problem is that we listen to differant types of music. She listens more to bluegrass and I listen to more rock. On the long car trips we have to share :P

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• brucek
                            HTG Expert
                            • Aug 2000

I've been kinda lucky being a single parent most of my life that I can pretty well waste as much money as I please on my HT hobby (and I do).

I guess I brought my two kids up to also love the stereo, music, HT world, because (like George) when they come back home they can't get enough of my system. Sometimes I think they visit just to watch movies

They both are slowly building good systems........ But even if my solo influence wasn't there, I think they'd still love stereo equipment. My feeling is that there are two kinds of guys in the world, those that have great stereos and those that want one.......

My observation is that my two sons' significant others don't appreciate the equipment as much as my I do. In fact, with respect to an entire gender, I feel woman don't have as much appreciation as men do, for stereo and HT systems.

If my kids have some male friends over and I 'light up' my system with a few action scenes like the Matrix opening (for example), these friends will all have their mouths hanging open when its over, saying things like, "oh, my god"......................If you do the same demo for some female friends, well, they just don't get it.........

So Danbry39, you are not alone or unique........the rest of the world just doesn't get it.

My Theatre

brucek

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

If my kids have some male friends over and I 'light up' my system with a few action scenes like the Matrix opening (for example), these friends will all have their mouths hanging open when its over, saying things like, "oh, my god"......................If you do the same demo for some female friends, well, they just don't get it.........

BruceK,

You don't know how well you're hammering that nail right on its head. If my kids have females over, nada. But, if my teenaged daughter has a boyfriend over, they're always knocking on my door wanting to come in...and they ask a lot of technical questions too.

Keith
                              Keith

Comment

• Aeromos
                                • Jun 2003

My wife loves to watch movies as much as I do. We both like to relax and sit back and enjoy a movie at the end of the night. We probably watch DVDs more than we watch tv. Although at times when she's really tired she prefers to watch in the bedroom on our 27" JVC. I don't mind it except for the fact that we don't have a 5.1 set-up in the room. That is one of the main reasons I am upgrading soon. I've been lucky that she's all for it too. The kids also love to watch movies as they've grown up pretty much on Disney movies. We've controlled how much tv they watch as we find there's just too much filth on tv these days compared to when we were growing up. They love the HT and the way it gives the effects from different directions (especially my wife ).

Aeromos
                                Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                                My Collection
                                Aeromos
                                Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                                My Collection

Comment

• Danbry39
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Sep 2002

I've been lucky that she's all for it too.
                                  :T

Keith
                                  Keith

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"